LegacyGT.com

My Legacy was a victim of bad driving

On my part. Lesson learned the hard way: Don't do spirited driving on a road you've never been on.

I was on this road I didn't know, and I was driving a little fast. I was probably doing about 30mph going into a 90 degree bend when my front Kuhmos suddenly lost traction. My nightmare surfaced when I watched in horror as a Chevy pickup was cutting the corner close to the yellow line. (He may have been over the yellow line actually, I'm not sure) I hit him for a Need-for-Speed style completion of the turn. I was so close to finishing the turn I couldn't believe it happened. I stopped, pulled off the road as much as I could. The car was running, but a liquid was spraying from under the hood. The bumper, hood, left fender, and headlight will need replacing. The fender tore leaks in 2 radiator hoses, and the windshield washer fluid leaks. Alignment appeared to be fine. It's in the bodyshop now. Hopefully I'll know the full extent of the damage tomorrow.

The good news it that nobody was hurt and I didn't get a ticket. :iam:

did dude get charged for coming across the yellow, or were you both straddling?

I don't know what he told the cops. I told the cops that I had never driven the road before and came around the corner to fast and understeered into the truck. I don't know what the other guy said. But he may have gotten the ticket. He had a sheet of paper that sort of looked like an oversized check.:confused: I've never gotten one so I don't know what they look like. The officer told me I was at fault though.

so, you were on your side then? if you understeered, sounds like your front end plowed into his lane unless you mean that you couldn't avoid him in your lane because of the understeer.

big piece of paper? sounds like a ticket to me. I assume you exchanged insurance info? might want to ask your insurance co. who was at fault then.

Better yet....who's getting billed for your rental car? ;)

I took the rest of the week off work to figure out what I'm going to do. I think I have tendonistis in both my wrists and I also think I strained my right arm muscles, so taking some time out will really help me. (I've been doing construction). I was taking off early to go see a doctor, but then I had to go and destroy the non-living thing I value most in my life.

I don't know if I slid into his lane or not. It was a completely blind corner, so I hit the truck pretty much as soon as I saw him. It happened so fast I never reacted at all.

well, if you didnt get a ticket, it's likely that it wasnt your fault?? If you see skid marks, that should explain a few things.. sorry to hear that.. definitely save some of that driving from the streets for autox, my guess is that it's possible that you're still pumped up from the weekend fun?

as long as you exchanged information and that you have the officer's number.. he'll be the judge of what really went on and who was at-fault.. if the officer thinks that you were at fault, you might have at least gotten a ticket for unsafe driving, on the other hand, if the truck was already over the double yellow, then it would be his fault more so.

Keefe

made it through the water but then got take out by oncoming traffic... burnout revenge style. That sucks dude... glad everyone was ok. speed kills... you and the other person involved were lucky this time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well, if you didnt get a ticket, it's likely that it wasnt your fault?? If you see skid marks, that should explain a few things.. sorry to hear that.. definitely save some of that driving from the streets for autox, my guess is that it's possible that you're still pumped up from it??

as long as you exchanged information and that you have the officer's number.. he'll be the judge of what really went on and who was at-fault.. if the officer thinks that you were at fault, you might have at least gotten a ticket for unsafe driving, on the other hand, if the truck was already over the double yellow, then it would be his fault more so.

I generally save my fast driving for the track. This was just one of those things where I was driving a road I didn't know like I drive roads I do know. IIRC the speed limit was 30, and I was doing 40 most of the time. 10 over is about what I average on roads I know. If you know the road and you know it's safe, 10 over is pretty reasonable. I slowed down and couldn't have been doing more than 30 going into the turn. It was just way too sharp. I'm pretty good about the on/off switch with performance driving, and I don't take the autoX outside of the parking lot/airport. This was just casual speeding with miscalculation and a blind turn from hell.

^then it's possible that the cop didnt give you a ticket because of what you describe.. everything should be straighten out soon so long as you already got the info from the truck driver about his insurance and you have the police report number, you should be ok.

but let this be a very valuable lesson as if you ever get the chance to drive on a race track that you never been to and try to drive hard, you'll end up like this miata driver in my video:

http://media.putfile.com/NASA-VIR-Feb-06

Prod, if you want to take some time on Saturday, I'll give you a better walkthrough of how to read a corner that you never seen before... this will help you in driving on an unfamilar road better and hopefully form good habits that wont lead you into accidents.

Keefe

Sorry to hear. Stuff happens. Trust me.

I spent all day Saturday detailing the Subie. Hand washing with Dawn to remove old wax. Applying Klasse sealant. No electric buffers for me. Hand rubbed the entire car. Cleaned the leather. Shampoo'd the carpet. I was so proud I took pictures. One of the pics from that day is my avatar.

The very next day. THE VERY NEXT DAY! Someone decided he did not wish to continue waiting in the left lane for the car ahead of him to make the turn, so he changed lanes to the right without looking. See attached pic.

crash.jpg.6f4e8dc957554e6f2a755959bc9053aa.jpg

I spent all day Saturday detailing the Subie. Hand washing with Dawn to remove old wax. Applying Klasse sealant. No electric buffers for me. Hand rubbed the entire car. Cleaned the leather. Shampoo'd the carpet. I was so proud I took pictures. One of the pics from that day is my avatar.

The very next day. THE VERY NEXT DAY! Someone decided he did not wish to continue waiting in the left lane for the car ahead of him to make the turn, so he changed lanes to the right without looking. See attached pic.

damn thats like $2,500 in damage

Not even close. Hood, fender, light, bumper, paint. $4,300.

Luckily, the other driver admitted the accident was his fault so I did not have to pay a deductible. Geico says my driving record will not be affected but we'll see when the next bill comes.

That's almost exactly the same damage I have!

Sucks, I was in my other car and this stupid jack hole driving a large Escalade decides to turn into my lane and only half his car was in front of me. Stupid Jap horns that are so weak they don't work for shit.

I however am able and lucky enough to avoid all these accidents...at least avoid as much as I can control with weather permitting.

4,300?

This is what i am dealing with

- bumper (bracket, support, absorber)

- grille

- left headlight

- left foglight

- Under cover

- repare hood

- left fender

- fender liner

- fix deep scratch on driver door

- washer reservoir

- new wheel

- new tire

- Left knuckle

- control arm

- strut

- tire rod

- left rocker pannel

+ parts, body labor, Paint labor, Frame labor, Paint supplies

total cost (so far) 5,550

http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/9785/10021123dm.jpg

4,300?

This is what i am dealing with

- bumper (bracket, support, absorber)

- grille

- left headlight

- left foglight

- Under cover

- repare hood

- left fender

- fender liner

- fix deep scratch on driver door

- washer reservoir

- new wheel

- new tire

- Left knuckle

- control arm

- strut

- tire rod

- left rocker pannel

+ parts, body labor, Paint labor, Frame labor, Paint supplies

total cost (so far) 5,550

that is outragous. it should buff right out:icon_bigg . I know when I backed it to someone it cost close to 2200. Ouch. I know I know stupid me but at least state farm didn't change my rates. Maybe I was paying to much already.

In the future, try to anticipate how you will have to maneuver given worst case scenario. I tend to do this a lot on blind turns (i.e. anticipate a pedestrian on the road, roadkill, oncoming car.)

I've only had to employ this once, but it saved me a lot of money.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

In the future, try to anticipate how you will have to maneuver given worst case scenario. I tend to do this a lot on blind turns (i.e. anticipate a pedestrian on the road, roadkill, oncoming car.)

I've only had to employ this once, but it saved me a lot of money.

Not directed at you but "Caution is no substitute for skill"

Archived