LegacyGT.com

Another OEM NAVI Features Hack Thread - Progress and Documents

SubLo

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
origtopcat,

does your kos-1000 allow touch screen? I was wondering if we could mod the v1000 or 500 to integrate to our factory screens.

No the KOS-1000 does not allow the touchscreen to work with the oem monitor (but you will need this adapter to connect the two Kenwood KOS-CV100). Kenwood sells a proprietary monitor (Kenwood KOS-L702 or the Kenwood KOS-L432) that allows the KOS unit to use touchscreen.

I did not integrate the nav and factory headunit with the KOS system. so I can still use the touch screen for my nav, maintenace, etc. To navigate the KOS unit I use the included remote. It took some getting use to, but now I can manipulate it very quickly.

Nemo me impune lacessit

I initially wanted to put the unit under the passenger seat. But there was not enough clearance. So I ended up putting it in the trunk, strapped to the back of the rear seat. I ran the cables under the carpet to the monitor.

There were a couple of things that I found out afterwards.

·In order to use the system while driving you need to ground the parking break sensor

·Using the OEM monitor will not give you touch screen functions. You will need to use the remote.

·There is a adapter to connect the unit to the OEM monitor that you would need

Because the OEM monitor has a switch the shuts of the AUX input when you’re driving, I had a switch installed which disables that function. (I can toggle the switch and shut off access to the KOS unit, I tend to do this when I am taking it to the dealer for service).

Right now I have not done much in the way of adding features. I plan to put in the rearview camera and the Bluetooth. This thanksgiving my brother in law is giving me a car DVD player that I will be integrating.

I am very happy with the unit and plan to utilize all it’s features (just saving for it ). I hope this helps let me know if you need anymore information.

FYI - The picture with the toggle switch located by my fuses, was put in so I can shut of the video feed from the KOS-V1000.

I will try and take some better photos in the daylight

IMG_1067.JPG.6c8fe3cb81e106869898ab5d2163371c.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG.3ecf56f9ecc85b1377d15802379494b6.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG.53494b0a2b72a16309d484dd49b546ff.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG.08a25297c67d115e8a413976fde05271.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG.f968533de099b5225f7caf65adf2b996.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG.03f1baaf2d03b5d0231f3872e7985664.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG.507a4ba1230d742404f9103a34627dac.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG.da372063d71dbadfb69dba9b73d87026.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG.f8a571913a64ad48b72f128a9ea0eb45.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG.b4ae85b8383e817fb6c0a64c68107359.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG.fbccc53ebd3872265b6166c2c1e01499.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG.29f11d01c676f90b6d2c336bfd046175.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG.9324b4a8d7bfef0a2ebae03554fa5240.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG.de0f1c8ea1cb55300fc72eaf782b85f9.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG.8152ab40ae6b78528096c822407013d5.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG.82bcd1b0879d4d7842e2e0ef30492b54.JPG

Nemo me impune lacessit

Origtopcat - very nice install! You'll have to update us when you get Bluetooth installed, and how the usability of it is.

Will do. I actually talked to someone a few weeks back how installed one and was raving on how good it was. That remains to be proven, but I will let you guys know how it goes

Nemo me impune lacessit

Does the KOS unit have the standard Kenwood 13-pin Din connector option on it? If it does you should try connecting this to the nav screen. The touchscreen protocols for the screen unit are identical to the Kenwood ones. I would be willing to be you would be able to plug this right into the DIN port and get video as well as touchscreen functionality if the KOS unit has this plug.

Oh, nevermind. I just looked up the KOS-V1000 and it has some proprietary 20-pin connector for the screen interface. It would be interesting to see a pinout of this connector to see if it can be converted to a 13-pin DIN connector.

Probably not but hey, one can dream...

Oh, nevermind. I just looked up the KOS-V1000 and it has some proprietary 20-pin connector for the screen interface. It would be interesting to see a pinout of this connector to see if it can be converted to a 13-pin DIN connector.

Probably not but hey, one can dream...

For a sec. I thought I was a duchebag for not checking... I know I read somewhere that it would not fit, that's why I needed to install the converter unit. When I spoke to Kenwood, they told me to just replace the monitor...customer service at it's finest.

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 weeks later...

Right after I bought my 2008 Spec.B, I spent about half the work day everyday hardly working by reading through legacygt.com's forum. I made a list of tasks I wanted for my car, and I thought I bookmarked everything I need. Now that I'm back from Thanksgiving break, I'm ready to tackle the list of things. But it appears that I may be missing one particular bookmark, or possibly I'm imagining things.

There seems to be a couple ways to enable Nav operation while the vehicle is in motion. The newest suggestion is XiiiXiii's post.

Then I think I read there are a couple ways to enable Video AUX while the vehicle is in motion. The first method is Jon [in CT]'s post in this very thread (page 1, post #8), involving grounding a cable behind the screen unit.

For some reason, I thought I read somewhere on legacygt.com that there's another way to achieve Video AUX enable that was simpler, posted more recently. After my Thanksgiving break (and suffering through the Seattle Marathon), I'm trying to remember if there really is another way, cos I have spent all of last night before bed and all morning looking for it. Is there another way, or am I just forgetful and mixing this up with something else?

Right after I bought my 2008 Spec.B, I spent about half the work day everyday hardly working by reading through legacygt.com's forum. I made a list of tasks I wanted for my car, and I thought I bookmarked everything I need. Now that I'm back from Thanksgiving break, I'm ready to tackle the list of things. But it appears that I may be missing one particular bookmark, or possibly I'm imagining things.

There seems to be a couple ways to enable Nav operation while the vehicle is in motion. The newest suggestion is XiiiXiii's post.

Then I think I read there are a couple ways to enable Video AUX while the vehicle is in motion. The first method is Jon [in CT]'s post in this very thread (page 1, post #8), involving grounding a cable behind the screen unit.

For some reason, I thought I read somewhere on legacygt.com that there's another way to achieve Video AUX enable that was simpler, posted more recently. After my Thanksgiving break (and suffering through the Seattle Marathon), I'm trying to remember if there really is another way, cos I have spent all of last night before bed and all morning looking for it. Is there another way, or am I just forgetful and mixing this up with something else?

video aux, plug in rca into monitor ground out parking break wire from monitor. TADA

Other than the slightly light blue colored cable as show in the picture below, do you have a specific pin diagram that will identify the parking brake? I only ask because in case my 08 Spec.B has different colored wire for the same pin, I don't want to get screwed up. Thanks!

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19526&d=1149818735

video aux, plug in rca into monitor ground out parking break wire from monitor. TADA

Other than the slightly light blue colored cable as show in the picture below, do you have a specific pin diagram that will identify the parking brake? I only ask because in case my 08 Spec.B has different colored wire for the same pin, I don't want to get screwed up. Thanks!

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19526&d=1149818735

You can count from the pic can't you? haha looks like pin four depending on how you hold it. But the colors won't be different, I promise.

I hate being ignorant, but here it goes.

I'm finally getting around to setting up my back up camera on my Tribeca, and I now see that I have questions. While I wait for my molex connector to arrive, I might as well get a clear understanding.

First, on tapping into the power of the reverse lights, I tapped into the power and then grounded on a screw. Doing this does not show the video at all on the screen when I hit INFO with the RCA plugged into the screen, so do I need to tap into the black of the reverse lights for a ground? The RCA male also has a red wire. Does this need to be grounded on the car or would my problem be the ground at the rear of the car? I need to get this working before I try connecting it throught the molex.

Second, I'm confused on what needs to be connected up front once I get the molex. My crimestopper camera has an RCA and a red unlabeled wire for me to plug in.

#072 wrote to connect the center pin of the RCA to #1 and shield to #4. So do I need to cut off the end of the RCA and then try to figure out what the internal wires are?

In post 45, gnlowen's photo shows the RCA & the molex with 4, not 2 wires connected. He also wrote that the shield at #4 needs to be grounded to the car.

In post 314, pg 21, a.spider said that you can't have the RCA and video input at the molex unless you use a video distribution amplifier. Furthermore, he says that video should go to pin #1 of the molex, and the shield should go to both #2 and #4 with none grounded.

I guess that I need to just cut off the RCA male to use the wires and leave the RCA input open for DVD or something. It's just that there are differing opinions showing 2, 3, and 4 wires in the connector.

• 2 weeks later...

With nothing to ground to on the tailgate, I just tapped the ground into the negative of the reverse lights. It shows to be a complete circuit, but still nothing when plugging the RCA into the screen. It must need the red wire next to the RCA plugged into something. Ideas?

I'll mention that when/if you order the molex connector for $.42 + $8 shipping, don't be a bonehead and forget about ordering terminals for it as well. I'm now waiting for that. Any suggestions on how to make a ghetto connector in the meantime?

PPower,

Where did you order your molex from?

The pins used in the molex on the back ar e incorrect if I remember correctly I know you use diagonal pins I think top left bottom right if you have the thing in your hands with the back facing you... I hjard wired mine I would like to convert it to a molex if I ever go back there again for some reason.

Also a tip for the above pic with the cut wire for motion video is to ground that wire to one of the monitors chassis screws. I think it is your only option unless you extend the wire

I ordered it from www.mouser.com for $0.42 each, and the minifit jr. terminals are $0.42 each as well I believe.

I stayed up late last night and have figured that the red wire on mine basically works the same as the shielding. I had my red wire to #4 and stuck the RCA center pin to #1, I have working video. So with that, grounding to the negative of the reverse lights does work. So I cut apart the RCA cable and made makeshift connectors w/ 18ga connectors. Putting either the red wire or the shielding to #4 triggers the screen to change waiting for video signal, but using the RCA center pin wire connected to #1 isn't sending video signal. Any ideas?

I haven't been around a while and thought this would be nice to tackle over the holiday break but just reviewing this page...there needs to be something written up and sticky'd.

I guess I understand the backup cam. Just buy it, run the wire and plug it into the headunit's molex video connector, supply power at reverse lights.

I understand I need a molex connector and pins, now it's the connecting 'it' to the RCA from the camara has me lost.

Now video from my Ipod should be easier. Buy a Ipod video kit or 3.5 to RCA (?), & plug it into the RCA jack in the back of the head unit, lastly, cut the 4th wire so it can be watched while in motion.

In needing to keep this as simple as possible for all those that follow, am I missing anything?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

In SoCal, you may have an easier time finding a place that sells the connectors for an ATX motherboard. I just couldn't find anyplace here to sell them retail, and I spoke to a Molex distributor locally as well as the Molex sales representative locally. Some of you may be lucky enough to live near a distributor than sells any amount and to the public. My local distributor transferred me to a sales dept out of state since I just needed 1 piece.

RCA is typically made up of a single insulated wire (signal wire) with copper wire twisted around that which is the shielding. In the case of my crimestopper camera, there is a second wire at the core that seems to be for connecting into some accessory crimestopper unit for triggering power on reverse. I just received my molex terminals for proper connection, but I have too many other projects to work on before leaving town in a few days. I'm hoping that this being a better connection will solve my video feed problem.

Archived