LegacyGT.com

Stage 2 - can never go to a dealer again..

My LGT wagon is AP "stage 2" with a Crucial DP. I was off to the dealer for a 30K service ( i have a couple of minor warranty things like the mat clip and a dodgy electric window switch). Before I handed the car over for the service , naively I asked the question " are you obliged to report my car as modified to Subaru of America". They said, "legally yes, and we will". So I just said, "see you" and drove off. I expected a more "don't ask don't tell" type attitude.

I would understand if I walked in and said that my transmission was busted, or my turbo blown that the mods would be an issue, but if I ever need to take my car in for a warranty issue of any type I will have to refit the stock DP, reflash to stock.

You asked and they told?

Good point:), and yeah I just blew off the service. I'll take to to an independent shop and just suck up the minor problems I wanted done under warranty. I'm not keeping the car forever and want to be able to show proper servicing was done.

My experience with dealers has been awful. The biggest problem is they want to do unneccessary servicing just to empty your wallet. For example, they specify a 5EAT "transmission service" at 15K and 30K due to "local driving conditions". What a load of crap. I live in San Diego where the driving conditions must be the most benign in the US. Mild temperatures,freeway driving. And we have smart transmissions that warn you if they get hot.

ahhhh, the joys of modding your car.

"You gotta pay to play" is a motto of many around here...

Yes I agree but they should perform the service overlooking at those....

You can actually change some parts on your car as long as it doesn't affect the normal operational conditions, which is very vague....

Like if you install an alarm and your dash stops working, wouldn't they fix it?

Like everything in life, it's very subjective....

Good luck with your service though.

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

ahh now that that dealer is on to you.....you could go to another dealer to get the clip and window thingy fixed. they shouldn't be poking around under the hood to notice your dp. and don't tell them its modified!:icon_bigg

ahh now that that dealer is on to you.....you could go to another dealer to get the clip and window thingy fixed. they shouldn't be poking around under the hood to notice your dp. and don't tell them its modified!:icon_bigg

heheheh exactly!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Look into the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975. http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

If the mod did not cause the warranty issue it should be covered. Furhtermore if a part related to the mod fails the dealer must prove the mod caused the failure according to the act. This most often applies to turbos. If your turbo is performing at higher levels due to a reflash and it fails it will not be covered under warranty.

This is my understanding of how this all works. What does everyone else think? I've been holding off on some mods becuase of the warranty issues. Still installed the pinks though. Ice-P

not all Subaru dealers and dealerships are the same. I bought mine locally at Norm Reeves in Temecula, CA. At the time anyway (recently sold to a new dealership owner) it was a very "mod-friendly" dealership. You could buy aftermarket UP, DP, exhaust, Cobb APs, K&N intakes, you name it. They would install it. I'm not saying they took a blind eye to mods and would blindly do any sort of warranty work without question. But I can attest that they were very pragmatic about it.

For instance, even when I was at Stage 2 plus with tons of mods, they gladly fixed a leaky front axle tranny seal that blew. No questions asked. Heck, it even had an aftermarket clutch kit inside. Not that they could see it. ;)

not all Subaru dealers and dealerships are the same. I bought mine locally at Norm Reeves in Temecula, CA. At the time anyway (recently sold to a new dealership owner) it was a very "mod-friendly" dealership. You could buy aftermarket UP, DP, exhaust, Cobb APs, K&N intakes, you name it. They would install it. I'm not saying they took a blind eye to mods and would blindly do any sort of warranty work without question. But I can attest that they were very pragmatic about it.

For instance, even when I was at Stage 2 plus with tons of mods, they gladly fixed a leaky front axle tranny seal that blew. No questions asked. Heck, it even had an aftermarket clutch kit inside. Not that they could see it. ;)

yep, sounds like Subaru of Dallas (hotsubaru.com)

my local SOA warranty rep doesn't care about mods as long as they aren't involved in a warranty problem ;)

Heh....how 'bout larry, moe and curly behind the service counter?? :icon_tong

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

my local SOA warranty rep doesn't care about mods as long as they aren't involved in a warranty problem ;)

+1 for that. my rep actually told me to forget about the cobb ap and just go get it reflashed and dyno'ed

I called a local dealer and asked if they carried an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. When I asked if this affected the warranty, the parts guy told me the entire emmissions system would no longer be covered. Seems like the consensus is to always switch back to stock before bringing it in and keep quiet about mods. ;)

What a load of crap. I live in San Diego where the driving conditions must be the most benign in the US. Mild temperatures,freeway driving. And we have smart transmissions that warn you if they get hot.

Where'd you go, Kearny Mesa? Becuase they suck and their mamager, Dan, is a real prick, IMHO.

Before I handed the car over for the service , naively I asked the question " are you obliged to report my car as modified to Subaru of America". They said, "legally yes, and we will". So I just said, "see you" and drove off. I expected a more "don't ask don't tell" type attitude.

Does anyone know if this means that they report any mods they find, at any time, whether or not it is in for warranty work?

Let's say I'm to have them fix a panel fitment issue, or my A/C is acting up. Are they gonna report the 18" tires and wheels so that other dealerships can deny wheel bearing claims down the road (even if I come rolling in on the stock rims for the wheel bearing repair)?

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Depends on the dealer. MSPT over here in NY is mod friendly. Hell, they have their own performance division www.mspt.net. Their customer service is A+ also.

+1 no doubt we are lucky here on the Island tho' i'm not too sure they would want their name openly attached to the "mod friendly" nametag. Sometimes big brother is watching.

I called a local dealer and asked if they carried an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. When I asked if this affected the warranty, the parts guy told me the entire emmissions system would no longer be covered. Seems like the consensus is to always switch back to stock before bringing it in and keep quiet about mods. ;)

+1 keep quite. theirs no reason to share.

depending on your mods, switching back to stock could be very costly. your talking hundreds of dollars if your having someone put your stock up or dp back on...if you do it yourself you at least will have to buy new gaskets. a catback wouldn't be as difficult.

I'd say take it to a mom and pop garage (that you trust) and have them do the routine maintenance.

if you have something major go wrong and want to get it by subaru, you could then switch back to stock and try your luck.

Archived