LegacyGT.com

Cusco sway bar installed...review

HansGT

Let me know if you're looking for a particular brand, I have an account through tire rack. :)

Hot!

probably wait till spring....looking at P Nero M+S or Kumho SPT (not sure if i want to go the pure summer route)

do you get a discount?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my discount is slight. Usually just sell them at tire rack's pricing, I can find out and see as discount varies. I can price them out for you when the time comes.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

This has been asked and answered numerous times (including good input from Keefe), but any other thoughts on RSB only verses F & R? I want to get a feel myself so will install RSB first, drive several days, then when I get time do the FSB. Knowing me, it will probabably be a couple months between the installs. I'll definitely put my comments online.

I got a set of KDW2 tires--they're better than OEM but didn't "astound" me or anything (other than I think they'll be far safer preventing hydroplaning). I think some suspension upgrades will let the tires show their capability better, but what do I know. I also have a set of Nokain WRs that I'll try out come late Fall.

• 5 weeks later...
Thats always a good thing;)

When installing use ALL of the grease in the packets!!

actually i purchased mine from Hovied and he didn't have any grease. my installer used boat grease....i think.

Also, does upgrading the sway bars put more or less stress on the tires? I am running Nokian WR's and while they are designed for all year driving with a decent treadlife, I don't want any accelerated wear on them if I can help it.

I'd venture sways would have less wear since less sway means less camber change in a corner. However, with less sway, you may corner like a mad man more often and hence wear your tires more. :icon_mrgr

Ok, a couple of quick sway questions:

I need to buy the COBB reinforcement bracket kit - should I do that directly from COBB's website or is there a vendor here I can do that through (either way, I need cheap shipping to Canada NOT using UPS)

Also, does upgrading the sway bars put more or less stress on the tires? I am running Nokian WR's and while they are designed for all year driving with a decent treadlife, I don't want any accelerated wear on them if I can help it.

Why do you need the reinforcement bracket kit? Many people run without it and have no problems. Hell it just came out and people have been using sways on their new model legacy's for nearly two years now.

Additional tire wear is possible. As you corner your car will be tighter/flater and more force will be transfered to the outside tire.....thus more wear can happen here as it digs in. I think additional wear will be minimal depending on your driving style.

I just think it would be better to have them than to not. The endlinks seem to be fine, but I don't want any other problems.

I've been autoxing and tracking my car with the sways since I had them 48,000+ miles ago, no problems here.

Keefe

The BE legacy has the same type of RSB mounts as the new Legacy's but they were deemed strong enough for upgraded RSBs now two years into this model run aftermarket vendors think these mounts aren't sufficient.

Hmmm........

6 years with this type of RSB mount and now people are saying they need to be reinforced?:icon_conf

If they are getting bent by all means reinforce them but how many people are getting bent mounts?

Of the people that are getting bent mounts what are your suspension setups?

I'd be curious of this also. I've run bigger sways fr years and have autocrossed them occasionaly and never have had a problem with the RSB mounts on a Subaru(98-06).:confused:

Another problem people seem to have is the clunking sound, IMHO if installed correctly, the Cusco sway bars F/R(even if lowered) will not clunk/rattle/make noise or otherwise disrupt your day.

I personally saw a Legacy who's mount ripped right off the sub-frame. He was completely stock suspension except for the rear-sway bar. Not sure what kind of conditions it happened in, but it does happen.

I'm not doubting that people are bending them or even ripping them off........

However, why now?

Subaru has had the same type of mount on legacy for 6 years now and people are finally breaking them?:icon_conf

It would be very interesting in finding out the suspension modifications.

I mean people have been auto-x, racing, driving on the street with these same type of mounts for 6 years in stock and modified form and I haven't seen a problems with them until recently.

Maybe a bad batch?

Subaru changed the way they're made?

Maybe people are jacking up their cars strangely?

I think the reason they are bending or breaking is because of large sways combined with relatively loose suspensions.

For example on a car with stiff coil-overs the car will not lean all that much, on an Outback it is a different story.

Also, going over really uneven pavement and really working the suspension in an uneven fashion (like going over ruts in the mud) will really put a lot of stress on the mount.

Autocrossing or tracking a car on the other hand is not all that hard on them.

I'd be curious of this also. I've run bigger sways fr years and have autocrossed them occasionaly and never have had a problem with the RSB mounts on a Subaru(98-06).:confused:

Another problem people seem to have is the clunking sound, IMHO if installed correctly, the Cusco sway bars F/R(even if lowered) will not clunk/rattle/make noise or otherwise disrupt your day.

+1 on in the install.

8 weeks no cluncking. Thanks Rob! (Maryland Turbo Solutions)

Sure... I guess working the suspension in a severly uneven manner can cause the mounts to break but the BE/BH has the same mounts as the new Legacy and I never heard of mounts breaking on a BE/BH before.

Also, tuners never saw fit to reinforce those style mounts until now....

I know the multilink arrangement is slighty different on new Legacy's maybe that is causing weird forces on the mounts and causing them to break?

Sooo... yes, I have the Outback and think that the RSB mounts should go on with the bar... where should I get the COBB ones? Order right from COBB or from a site vendor? Are they good mounts or are there better mounts to buy?

if you can find them somewhere else...their out there....they will probably be the same price. I've heard cobb can be a little slow at times with shipping so an on line vendor may get them to you faster.

Archived