LegacyGT.com

What car for $50,000?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 964 turbo can be had in the mid $30k. With some mods they get stupid fast and being that they are rear wheel drive are a little more challenging to drive hard safetly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/911-TURBO_W0QQitemZ330193189715QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10156QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However the car that still holds a spot in my heart is a 993 TT. 996 Turbos are a little more comfy and ride nicer, but the 993 TT still looks like a 911 and still a little raw, but not nearly as scary as a 964 Turbo can get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-Porsche-993-911-Twin-Turbo_W0QQitemZ110196320971QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10156QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I could go on forever with car combos that I'd do with $50k. I'd even put some money down and lease a new S5 then take the rest and build a 67 or 68 Mustang fastback and resto mod it

• 2 weeks later...
Would you guys still buy a LegacyGT (or two) if your budget was around $50,000 or would you get something else? I have a feeling most will still say the LGT with mods and pocket the difference. What about a slightly used S6 or S4? Anything else?

Cherry Porsche 930 (air cooled Porsche 911) or a nice Ferarri 328. Looking for low miles, nice shape, recent service completed.

Extra cash for repairs/majors.

• 4 months later...

I'd like to revive this thread as i have changed my mind. i am no longer into the Ariel Atom as i have found a more enjoyable more pratical approach at making 4 wheel speed.

Factory Five GTM. For $40K you can run with the big dogs(Ferrari, Porsche, etc..) thanks to a sweet DIY kit and a donor C5 Vette. This is my new goal.

Sat in a Cayman this weekend....

OOOOOOH, yeah! Fan Freakin-tastic.

My wife now wants a Boxster to upgrade from her Miata... Yup, Yup! Boxster for her, Cayman S with mods for me, and maybe a very cheap little baja for garden supply toting work and 4 seats, if we ever need it.

I'd by a beat up '69 Camaro and dump 30 or 40 thousand dollars into it. Who needs a new car when you can restore an old one? I don't break my neck when a 7 series BMW drives by. I do break my neck when a fully restored classic muscle car drives by. That's where I'd put my money. I'd put it into something that most people don't see every day.

:whore:

Muscle Car

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I'm considering buying my brother's 2007 (997) 911 Carrera S coupe when it comes off lease. With that notable exception, I probably wouldn't spend $50K on a modern car. I prefer to keep something practical like my LGT wagon and spend my money on classic cars and hobbies.

Sat in a Cayman this weekend....

OOOOOOH, yeah! Fan Freakin-tastic.

My wife now wants a Boxster to upgrade from her Miata... Yup, Yup! Boxster for her, Cayman S with mods for me, and maybe a very cheap little baja for garden supply toting work and 4 seats, if we ever need it.

+1, i'm with you on the cayman

+1, i'm with you on the cayman

so sublime.

The Cayman wasn't an "S", but it was medium blue with a grey interior and a stick. A fantastic sports car combination.

other than a highly-arched roofline (RX7-like double-bubble would be cool), and upswept, rather than 911-style quarter windows (prefer the 996/7 quarter window shape), the car is gorgeous. Plus it is low, mid-engined and boxer powered. There are lots of cars that I appreciate, front, mid or rear engined, V, inline or flat engined, rwd or awd...

but mid engined, low Cg of a boxer-6, RWD, with a good amount of cargo space for a 2-seat sports car... That has to be one of the all-time great chassis layouts.

As I was just saying with the D-type replicas, which were blue with grey seats, and white details and undercoat primer... The Cayman in blue and grey looked just as good. A few bright-silver/white details...

I have no scottish heritage in my bloodline that I know of, mostly german and germanic swiss, but I have always kind of liked scots in the media. I also married a redheaded woman, red hair is commonly from a celtic/gaelic/ancient pict genetic source... so it could be said that I appreciate a scottish trait or two.

I can appreciate a car painted with a historic Le Mans winning privateer Scottish sports car club/team. Even if it is a german car under the paint job. :D

was in vegas this past weekend and saw a sweet looking silver NSX. musta been ~15 yrs old and still looked great. i betcha it holds it's value decently for a car.

Archived