LegacyGT.com

What car for $50,000?

50 grand, probably get a 03/04 cobra swith the IRS to live axle, stage 4 supercharger and bolt ons, i would have about 10grand left over after tuning and electronics to pay of my legacy for a DD lol, and have a reliable drivable 700-800rwhp car. Or a 99-02 Trans Am strip it down to the frame and new suspension, 12 bolt with 4.10 rear gears, built T-56 6 speed, custom 427 stroker alum block with heads, cam bolt ons and an F3 supercharger should make about 1200rwhp-1400rwhp on 93 octane on high boost, with a dry ice box bolted to the roll cage where the back seat used to be, to ensure that the air is damn cold when entering that engine. Or a GM or mopar classic muscle car built. Like a challenger, Cuda, Chevelle, 67-79 camaro,70-79 Trans Am.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol, barret jackson. Built cars dont sell for that much like numbers matching do. Hell right now there is a 8 second fox body for sale for 25grand, its not classic but it is hella fast. I almost bought my cousins 79 camaro he sold it for 6800 it had a semi-built 455 it put down about 580hp at the crank and 620trq, a tremec 5 speed tranny rated at 600trq, ford 9inch with 3.73s, drag radials, the interior had 02 trans am seats with lumbar and power, new radio and speakers and paint and brakes and suspension. You can by tons of cars with almost all that stuff upgraded for under 10grand. But i was talking i would build my own for 50 grand. The f3 supercharger and dry ice box that i talked about in my other post was actually in a car that i saw for sale at the Wisconsin dells auto show this weekend, he made 1700hp on 93 octane pump gas with a 600cubic inch engine and won a couple of pump gas race events, he went mid 7s on pump gas, he was selling the car for 38grand. Yes there are many many built classic cars for sale under 50k. Its called you only pay for parts and do the labor yourself or with very skilled friends.

Well, if you are going for a muscle car restored to "g-machine" status with a built engine, BBK, brand new suspension etc, 50 grand is right around what you would expect to pay, probably more depending on the amount of restoration.

However, if you aren't into elitist muscle car collecting like Superbirds and Yenkos, you can pick up a #s matching car like this one that sits in my garage with about 10 to 15g to spare, condition pending of course. :) It won't be winning the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance anytime soon but then what's the point of owning a car you are afraid of sitting in, let alone driving it.

Merch200270gto.jpg.a60ea76e79d785f9c1f192a5557d6d7a.jpg

Yeah i dont want a classic show car, where i will have to cry myself to sleep isf a rock happens to make a hair sized scratch i nthe paint, im talkign soemthing that looks nice with a shit ton of power

• 1 year later...

Wow-was a big bump. Didn't realize this thread had been dead so long!

I like the 335D..think you have to own it a long time to get value out of better mpg cause it costs more than 335i.

1st address doesn't work.

GTR is closer to 70K but awesome. Dont know about the supra. Looks like thousands of $ in upgrades but racecar fast.

I would get a Boxster or Cayman S but need AWD just to get up my driveway in winter. 911 AWD too pricey.:icon_frow

Nice cars.

Did you mod the tt-s? 4.7 seems really fast to me. Doesn't it have 265 hp?

Car is stock. Yes-265hp but sometimes output is underrated.

From caranddriver.com.

Our TTS Quattro test coupe sprinted to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and turned the quarter-mile in 13.5 at 104 mph. Perspective: The 200-hp, front-drive TT 2.0T in our “Four of a Kind” comparo [June 2007] hit those marks in 6.0 and 14.6 at 97 mph, respectively, even though it weighed in 304 pounds lighter (2960 pounds versus 3264

A little off but 4.8 is still quick!

modded 2009 $35k sti with as much modding as i could get from $15k should be able to get to 400whp and nice suspension setup

Bingo!

A rotated 3076 w/ .63 AR hotside + dual AVCS makes for a car that has an easy 360 whp on pump, and good spool in the 3400 rpm range.

Then get some coil-overs, and a few other suspension tweaks and call it a day!

For a single car, year round....

Since SVXs are no longer made, and A5 doesn't seem as cool as the next car I am about to mention....

I would probably go with a 996 or 997 used Carrera 4S with AWD, with two sets of wheels, for summer and winter, and appropriate tires.

I love Caymans, for their purity of mechanical design, but for year round, AWD is where it is at, and it is easier to package with front or rear engine placement, rather than mid-engine.

I might add Audi R8 to the list, if they ever depreciate to 50K or below. :D

Body style before last MR2 + work

Supra turbo + work

Fd3s + work

LGT + work (something different than what is happening here)

M45xAwd

Caterham (whatever is the most I can afford with this)

Used Elise SC, new If my haggling skills are at its sharpest

Used RS4

Ariel Atom 2 --> Glorified Go-Cart that would smoke EVERYTHANG on the road!!

Audi S5 --> Absolutely Beautiful Vehicle!!

Jeep Cherokee SRT-8 w/ Supercharger Kit --> FASTA$$ AWD Family Machine!

Archived