LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure, sure, I understand. I think it's time for the Hog to lie low for awhile. It's like on NFS:MW - my heat keeps going up. I'm at like 4x right now...been busted by the cops 4 times in a few outings, and they are looking for me. Maybe if I drive a different car for awhile...

LOL!!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

if hog causes trouble in this thread why would you close it and punish all of us vs punishing hog for going over the line. :confused: bosco

Agreed. Hog's mod is needed in our community. Saves us poor guys $1000's of dollars to get the same sound. Maybe not the same performance, but hey.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

The Hog evolves...

Didn't see where anyone actually performed the mod this way, but I love the sound now. Rather than removing the gasket all together, I may a surgical incision (more like cut it with a pair of Wiss snips) in the factory gaskets as shouwn below. Cut a straight line at the widest part of the inside of the gasket. This method will help to keep the exhaust flowing directly to the rear and eliminate any possibility of blowing out more of the gasket. The sound is better than the original washer mod (IMO). It sounds more like a performance exhaust thatn a hole in the muffler.

Thats exactly what I did with the boiler gasket material, 'cept it's a little more bell shaped, and about 3/8" thick:)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Honestly, as bad as it sounds, I could see this mod easily evolving into a simple gasket set offered from a vendor. Shoot, there's got to be hundreds of people open to a better sounding exhaust without voiding their warranties. Why not?

What I wanted to do was to have a machine shop cut a 1/2 gasket (like the guy above) out of 1/2 inch think Aluminum barstock. Just provide a template, adn they could bandsaw it out in 3 mins...That way, no melt, last forever, look cool!!
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

if hog causes trouble in this thread why would you close it and punish all of us vs punishing hog for going over the line. :confused: bosco

I agree, you should just punish Hog on general principle. I'm sure he deserves it:icon_wink

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

What I wanted to do was to have a machine shop cut a 1/2 gasket (like the guy above) out of 1/2 inch think Aluminum barstock. Just provide a template, adn they could bandsaw it out in 3 mins...That way, no melt, last forever, look cool!!

That's what I'm saying. I would most likely be more willing to spend $5 on a pre-fabbed gasket then on some washers. It's just the ease of mind. Honestly, I've owned 3 cars and this is the best mod I've ever done, with the most comments.

P.S. If you choose to make a business out of this gasket, contact me. :icon_wink

I have actually made a pair of gaskets like this out of 1/8" aluminum. For one reason or another I haven't tried them yet but I will soon. As I've posted I'm using my wire Hogzaust Mod and it is working well for me (and the one the wife prefers). When I try these thicker aluminum 'gaskets' I am anticipating some wifely comments and have to be prepared for going back to the wires. I won't know until I try them, however, and they are just sitting there calling me *****whipped. That kind of taunting can only be tolerated for just so long :).

But HALF INCH!? May as well throw the mufflers away and exit the pipes to the side......... SAY, that sounds like a ....... nah, I'd have to find somewhere else to sleep again ;).

Haha. My GF's the same way. She hadn't ever seen my car before I did the hog mod (I had just bought the car), and knowing me so well, the FIRST thing out of her mouth is "You already modified the exhaust didn't you? Didn't you?!" <--- And shes not even a car person.

Wait until tonight when she sees my car now, a week later: a new RBS Lip, RBS grille, cubbypod w/boost gauge, and TurboXS RFL BOV....hah, and the whining/nagging begins.......

Update - A week later and no signs of blowing out the gaskets. The steel ring is keeping them solid. This mod sounds very similar to clips I've heard of the Borla exhaust. Keep in mind, I tried the washer route twice and pulled it twice because of the increase in noise level after a day or two. No exhaust stink and no carbon build up on the body pan. It may be a little quiet for some at idle, but I think it has just the right added rasp to tell you there is something going on down there. Under wot, it sounds like a porsche.

Oh, and the wife hasn't said a word. Driving at low throttle, there is little difference in sound.

I have actually made a pair of gaskets like this out of 1/8" aluminum. For one reason or another I haven't tried them yet but I will soon. As I've posted I'm using my wire Hogzaust Mod and it is working well for me (and the one the wife prefers). When I try these thicker aluminum 'gaskets' I am anticipating some wifely comments and have to be prepared for going back to the wires. I won't know until I try them, however, and they are just sitting there calling me *****whipped. That kind of taunting can only be tolerated for just so long :).

But HALF INCH!? May as well throw the mufflers away and exit the pipes to the side......... SAY, that sounds like a ....... nah, I'd have to find somewhere else to sleep again ;).

Won't you end up with corrosion due to dissimilar metals with aluminum? Maybe stainless is the key?

• 2 weeks later...

Just had to chime in..

Did the Hog-zawst mod about 2 months ago. Have gotten used to it quite a bit. I'm Stage 0.5 (passenger side only, probably 1/8" washers on each bolt - I had them lying around).

The other day, we're in the car, and the wife is in back with the newborn, and she said "you know, that thing you did to the muffler? I like it. It sounds good."

I was floored!

Thanks Hogmeat!

HV

If the 02's have the boxer motor, then yes - it will sound similar. Does your exhaust have similar flanges to the 05-07's? I know on some cars it's all welded on...just to piss you off.

let us know.

I will let you guys know if I am able to do that by myself :p

Can I just use the mini jack that comes with the car and what specific tools do I need?

I don't think I would get under the car with just the scissor jack that comes with the car. They're fine for changing a tire, but not for serious work underneath. When you're straining to get rusted bolts loose, you could easily jar the car and the jack might move. I won't go into details, but you might end up a little flatter than when you started.

I would suggest using either ramps, a floor jack/jack stands, or, if you don't have those, drive one side of the car up on a curb to give you working space underneath. You want it to be stable when you're twisting bolts.

You can probably get the job done with a couple of wrenches. You might need some WD-40 or bolt loosener if they're rusted. If they're rusted badly and you break or strip a bolt, it might be handy to have a spare at the ready.