LegacyGT.com

100% Independent Foglight Mod(NO WIRE CUTTING/SPLICING METHOD)

did my last attempt at this tonight; this does not work on my car (relatively early build 05 non-limited). wiring is exactly as directed, fogs illume independent of other lights, but will not toggle off except with the physical circuit separation by moving stalk forward/high beam.

i wonder if my relays are different than the op's; mine are gray, not blue...

looks like i'll be cutting a wire :(

I did this over Thanksgiving and had the same result...Fogs are on "independently/automatically" as is with no other lights on, but using the switch has no affect except when the high beams are on. Turning the high beam on turns the fog lights off unless I flip the fog light switch on. Then I can have fogs with highs, which is nice. But the only way to have everything in the front off is to have the headlight and fog light switch off (fogs will still be on) and flip on the high beams. (with DRL disable obviously.) My car is a build of 6/05, and has the blue relays (not that any of that should matter since the relay pins should be the same regardless)

This is 99 percent of what I was hoping for since I can now run my fogs without the low beams having to be on...I can have my fogs on with my highs for that little added benefit driving in the country at night...and If I want I can have nothing on at all still...It would just be nice to have the switch physically turn the fogs on and off whenever it was flipped.

I metered all my wiring, t-taps, and spade connections and came up with nothing being wrong. After some more wiring diagram digging I came to the conclusion that this mod simply forces the relay open all the time (well as soon as the car is running at least) So that would mean my current functioning is correct. I dont see what the wiring to the switch does since you could ground the relay out anywhere to complete the circuit. My wiring is exactally as per the original posting except I tapped into IGN1 in my steering column for ignition switched power (same place as for my remote starter) and I ran the ground from pin 11 to my main driver kick ground that is also used for my starter and sirius radio, so I know they both are good.

If I missed somthing I'm lost as to what. This may be %100 independent, but certainly not %100 controlled if this is the intended result.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have HID and disabled DRL as well. That's why I did this mod.

I just have my foglight on all the time to act like my DRL.

So, the OP states that the foglights will be on all the time, like DRL. That is the expected result of this mod.

I'm not sure what I want to do yet - I would like the ability to run my fogs without my low beams... I'll think about it some more - might do the cutting mod or just remember that if I want to turn them off as modded here, just to use the high-beam switch...

Yeah, I read that part a couple times, and couldnt tell if it was implied that they OP just turned and left the fog's on "to act as DRL's" or if they came on by themselves all the time. I guess it must be the latter of the two. I'm gonna leave mine this way for a while and see how I like it. It's a simple 10 minute fix to go back to the old way. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about you early 05 guys, but I can tell you that with my 07, this mod makes the fog lights controlled independently from the stalk... Not sure what might be different for you or if you've got some wires mis-connected.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 6 months later...

Sorry to revive this, I hope some of you guys are still around.

I disabled the DRL plug and followed the write up. (thanks V33K btw)

First few days my fog lights stayed on all the time (while the car was on). Worked like DRL even if everything was switched off.

Then all of a sudden they turned off. I can still turn them on with my switch and i don't have to turn on my headlights (had to when it was stock).

Right now, i can turn all my lights off (illegal) but i leave my fog light switch on all the time, and the lights turn off when i turn off my car.

Is this exactly how they're supposed to work? Did i mess up in the beginning and now it somehow fixed itself?

Yes. Now, when the switch for fog lights is "on" and the key is in but not "on" then the lights are off. When I turn the key to "on" and the fog light switch to "on" the lights turn on.

The only strange thing is that when i first wired it. When the key was "on" and the fog light switch was "off" the lights would be on. They'd be on all the time (if the key was turned "on").

But it sounds like it was wrong to begin with and now its right...

• 2 months later...
I have an 08 and did this mod tonight and I have the same issues as you Tam. Mine are operating just like DRLs. I did do the DRL disable. The Fogs are no longer controlled through the stalk. Any recommendations? I followed the instructions exactly.

I've had it running like this for a little while, but i've noticed that i have no high beams. Not even flash to pass. Something must be loose.

I bought 2 relays and this weekend i'm going to attempt zuckzek's method. This way, I'll have my fogs as DRLs but when i turn on my lights, my fog lights will turn off (unless i decide to turn them on again with the switch).

I also wired in a strip of LED lights to the fog lights and then i put a relay for each side so that the LED strips turn off while my signal light is flashing. Very simple to do.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Safety Bump

I was able to do this and have the fog lights come on/off with the stalk

I basically used the fogs as DRL

I advise you guys who do use fogs as DRL check your wirings. My wire connections were wrapped so no accidental spark can occur. I also 'spliced/split' power from the fuse tap but dont know if I was getting power from before/after the oem fuse. I had this mod done for about 1 year, last few months Ive been using the fogs more

One day my fogs stopped working. Pulled the mod out today and found the wires bunt/too much current flow. This was where you put the pins into the original relay location (Not from the steering column/fuse wires). The 2 wires going to/from the relay were burnt at the relay only. The other 2 wires were completely fine, and the wire I used from the steering column was a high gauge (very thin wire)

Attached is a pic of the burnt wire. As you can see the wire tip turned black, and thats the only location where it turned black, the other wires are completely fine. BTW the relay still works fine

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/underground000/IMG_0469.jpg?t=1287707218

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

• 3 weeks later...

so i did this today and it all works; fog lights turn are controlled with the stalk just like the regular headlights. i have a super early 05' lgt limited, registered Nov '04

Trick is to get the correct wire from the relay to the correct wire in the steering column, the grounding wire should be the one closer to the edge of the harness, the relay wire goes to the one nearer the center of the harness.

I used heavier gauge wire to avoid any issues down the road, i ran the wire in the empty slots in the harness and wrapped it around into the correct slots.

pictures shows grounding wire coming through empty slot in harness, i then wrapped it into the slot just to the right. The empty slot next to "Relay" is where the relay wire came through and was wrapped to the left

IMAG0476.thumb.jpg.0499e37552d17eaa56caa28db1d39590.jpg

Sorry but does this allow control from the switch on the signal lever on column? I have an '06 OB and thats where the switch is for my fogs. I installed HID's from DDM Tuning and would like my fogs to stay on when I hit the high beams. Just wondering if this is the mod I'm looking for. Very clean work and deff better then hacking wires as far as I can see.

Whew, done. v33k, thanks for the walk-through and pictures! I've been studying the wiring diagrams for a while and I had just about figured out how to do it, but your pictures were a big help. I ended up cutting one wire, on the back of the relay panel, for IGN power to the relay, that way the relay can stay plugged in to it's OEM socket. Also, there was a screw right next to the switch harness (in the steering column), so I just grounded to that, less wires running around everywhere... Right when I got done putting everything back together, I noticed my parking lights were stuck on. After freaking out for a couple minutes I realized I must've hit that stupid switch on top of the steering column, UGH!! I hate that thing...

• 4 weeks later...
Alright I screwed something up. I wired the relay up right but thought that instead of grounding the relay into the harness, I could just do it to the steering column.. that didn't work. My headlights work still but now my fogs don't.. at all. Do the foglights have their own fuse box and/or is it possible the relay burned out?

Oh I see a wiring diagram now :( I had no idea Subbies where negatively switched... Alright no problem I'll check the fuse.. and cross my fingers. If not, I think the relay will have to be replaced, but now I know that I can't ground the wire into the steering column..

Ah it was a fuse.. F Fog I guess is front fog.. the R Fog threw me off.. I guess that's for the wagon

R Fog is for rear fog lights which are available/required on some markets.

And - yes, the negative switching of the electrical system on Subies are really something that can cause the weirdest problems if you aren't prepared for it.

453747.png

Archived