LegacyGT.com

100% Independent Foglight Mod(NO WIRE CUTTING/SPLICING METHOD)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to revive this, I hope some of you guys are still around.

I disabled the DRL plug and followed the write up. (thanks V33K btw)

First few days my fog lights stayed on all the time (while the car was on). Worked like DRL even if everything was switched off.

Then all of a sudden they turned off. I can still turn them on with my switch and i don't have to turn on my headlights (had to when it was stock).

Right now, i can turn all my lights off (illegal) but i leave my fog light switch on all the time, and the lights turn off when i turn off my car.

Is this exactly how they're supposed to work? Did i mess up in the beginning and now it somehow fixed itself?

For anyone using this mod. IT is suppose to be for fog lights as DRL.

I was using this for this reason and it works great.

The reason why it seems to work for some people is that the wiring as it is should still have the option of turning off the fogs at the switch, but the resistance in the switch is not high enough to stop it from grounding out. This is also the reason some people have found some burnt wiring if they used thin wires.

This being said you are better off just grounding the wire that is labelled to come from the relay to the steering column wire. This will have them on as DRL but without any possible effects to your wiring/switch.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
This mod will make your foglight become stand-alone operation.

Standard disclaimer, it's not my fault if you blow up your car with this mod. I am not responsible for anything. If you don't like this mod, don't do it.

Here goes:

So, I was installing my STi gauge pack. I figure I might as well do the foglight mod as well.

01 - Material that you need

02 - Put everything together as Shown

03 - Pull the foglight relay out

04 - Pull the fuse out

05 - Connect the wire to the relay

06 - Wire the Relay terminal 30&87

06b - Wire the Relay terminal 85 to the 7.5A fuse

07 - Remove the harness under steering column

08 - From terminal 86 of the relay, stick the wire into the harness as shown

09 - Same as above

10 - Grounding Wire

11 - Connect the ground wire to the white harness, right next to 08

12 - Tie up the relay

13 - Result

hey wut gauge wires did you use?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey I was hoping to get some help on a situation ive gotten into..

I went to do this today and wired/connected everything up and tested it and it worked! the fog lights were working and I was able to switch them on and off independently of the headlights as the OP claimed...

However, I was attempting to tuck the relay and wires under the metal plate and in doing so got a small blue spark from inside where the relay sits as when a fuse blows. pulled the fuse and it was fine so I though I blew the relay however I swapped out a couple of identical relays from inside the fuse box (ac and fan i think) and tried again but it would not work..now my fog lights are inoperable even with everything back to normal :(

Anybody know what has happend and how I can solve this? I hope I didnt seriously fk something up..have worked with electrical wires and such on my bike but never experiecnd this before..

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would update this in case anyone was following:

Turns out I had blown the fog light assy fuse..somehow i missed that one fuse when I was pulling them to check.

Rewired everything and properly shielded each wire to make sure there would be no contact, then ziptied everything carefully in place and now the mod is working as promised with no problems for the past couple months..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
When you do this will you still have fog lights when your regular lights are on?

Done correctly, yes.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Ok, so I made three extensions to connect relay to OE socket. They're about 2" long, tip to tip. Basically one end is a male spade while other end is a female spade. Only longer wire I think necessary is the one that feeds switched voltage to the relay.....so it's essentially like v33k's but only requiring one long wire to jumper switched power to energize the relay.....

However, what I need to know is which terminal off the relay gets "the long wire" and which terminalsbasically get extended a little

So I mixed the top processes of v33k's and mookjohn?.?..........

I stripped one end, shoved it into the fuse panel as v33k's instructed. Then I "T tapped" the blue/white wire behind the relay panel. Works like a charm. Fully independent, turns off with ignition in off/lock and only requires one wire.....

Side note: tried using an add a circuit, used same connections and nothing. Did it with the bare wire and works fine. I can't even gave this little mod fuse protected.?...

• 7 months later...

alright, 2nd update: I did the extension way of v33k's method, while connecting the one long wire behind the relay box to the blue/white wire. Now everything works, no fuse blowing...will be doing the 2nd part of one of these mods that allow fogs to stay on when you use high beams or flash to pass........BUT...

Now I want to know how to wire it so that if I have all lights off (or just my fogs during the day..mainly when it's dark enough for the fogs but not enough to necessitate the lows)........that the flash to pass ONLY does the highs, but if my lights are on, it's like it's stock, does that make sense?

alright, 2nd update: I did the extension way of v33k's method, while connecting the one long wire behind the relay box to the blue/white wire. Now everything works, no fuse blowing...will be doing the 2nd part of one of these mods that allow fogs to stay on when you use high beams or flash to pass........BUT...

Now I want to know how to wire it so that if I have all lights off (or just my fogs during the day..mainly when it's dark enough for the fogs but not enough to necessitate the lows)........that the flash to pass ONLY does the highs, but if my lights are on, it's like it's stock, does that make sense?

I have my doubts that this would be possible without hacking the turn signal stalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put something here like all the cool people, except there's nothing cool to put here.

I have my doubts that this would be possible without hacking the turn signal stalk.

IIRC, I saw someone say you can hook an external relay to one pin off the combo switch for flash to pass (w/o low beams), but can't find it.... maybe that'll work while my lows are already on?

So I wonder if I should try clarifying this some more, what I want is:

While lows are off, flash to pass only activates high beams....

While lows are on, they stay on and the high beams turn on for however long I hold the stalk towards me...

• 1 year later...

I think I want something similar to Mestisoz. I have an 09.

I want to be able to have just the fogs on.

I want the fogs to stay on if I turn on my high beams.

I want my fogs to stay off if they are off when using high beam

I want only the high beams to come on when no lights are on and I pull the stock (flash to pass)

I don't want my low beams to come on when using flash to pass and my lights aren't on

I want my low beams to stay on when using high beams

I want my drl to still function (high beams are drl in 09)

I want them to turn off when turning the car off.

In summary I want the fogs to be only controlled by the on off switch on the stock and nothing else effect them and the rest of the system to remain stock if I have to function of the stock setup understood correctly.

I think I covered everything there. I am OK with my fogs not being independent of the parking lights though I would prefer them to be independent.

I have HID low beam and fogs so I don't want them turning on and off without be intentionally doing so.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived