LegacyGT.com

100% Independent Foglight Mod(NO WIRE CUTTING/SPLICING METHOD)

hey guys i was just doing this mod, finally figured it out for the 08, but when i went to tie the relay down i guess i hit some metal somewhere on it and saw a spark by the fuse. now the fogs dont work at all, i tried replacing the fuse and nothing. is it possible to blow the relay? any thoughts on what i might have broken?

-edit

after i figure out what i screwed up ill post up pictures of the way to do it for the '08. It coincides to what was posted in the original post but I will attempt to put up some clearer pictures and descriptions to clear up some things that confused me a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey guys i was just doing this mod, finally figured it out for the 08, but when i went to tie the relay down i guess i hit some metal somewhere on it and saw a spark by the fuse. now the fogs dont work at all, i tried replacing the fuse and nothing. is it possible to blow the relay? any thoughts on what i might have broken?

-edit

after i figure out what i screwed up ill post up pictures of the way to do it for the '08. It coincides to what was posted in the original post but I will attempt to put up some clearer pictures and descriptions to clear up some things that confused me a bit.

How about those pix! I'm thinking I'm going to try this right now on my 07, so wish me luck!

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/IMG_0001.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/IMG_0002.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/IMG_0003.jpg

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o434/moose00015/IMG_0004.jpg

Hope these help

• 2 weeks later...

v33, thanks for the writeup, good work.

i just have one point of confusion at the 11-11a steps:

it seems that your 11 pic contradicts the 11a diagram; in pic 11, it seems you have grounded into 16 and out of 15, yet 10 and 11 are indicated in green as the ground in/out on 11a diagram.

perhaps either way is sufficient? could you please clarify?

thanks again :)

v33, thanks for the writeup, good work.

i just have one point of confusion at the 11-11a steps:

it seems that your 11 pic contradicts the 11a diagram; in pic 11, it seems you have grounded into 16 and out of 15, yet 10 and 11 are indicated in green as the ground in/out on 11a diagram.

perhaps either way is sufficient? could you please clarify?

thanks again :)

Yeah, I know that's a little confusing. But that's from the Subaru official wiring diagram, representing the front of the plug, not the rear.

If you flip the harness around, the wiring will match with the 11a diagram.

But thanks for the heads up.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i've got the fogs coming on by themselves from 'on' forward (off at 'acc',) and other lights functioning properly when switched,

but the stalk's fog switch is unable to toggle the fogs on/off after this; any idea what i'm doing wrong?

the only connection i can't really be sure i'm hitting perfectly is the fuse, because the contact's kind of hidden -- but that's the constant 12v, correct? so it shouldn't be that one...

i find it hard to believe '100% independent' means fogs may stay on regardless of whether i switch them on/off, lol.

my wiring looks correct after a triple-check :confused:...is this the way it's supposed to be :(?

thanks trs.

i've got all these wires cut and crimped and ready to go back in though (and the will to figure out what i did wrong), if i can get a confirmation that the stalk will still let me toggle them on/off with this method, if done properly, lol; i'd rather keep from cutting if possible due to my obvious electrical handicap ;)

can anybody who's done this method successfully confirm that you can still toggle your newly independent fogs on/off as desired?

thanks trs.

i've got all these wires cut and crimped and ready to go back in though (and the will to figure out what i did wrong), if i can get a confirmation that the stalk will still let me toggle them on/off with this method, if done properly, lol; i'd rather keep from cutting if possible due to my obvious electrical handicap ;)

can anybody who's done this method successfully confirm that you can still toggle your newly independent fogs on/off as desired?

Yeah, I can confirm. Although I had a problem initially. Seems that one of the tap connectors I used on the wires under the steering column damaged the existing wire enough that the connection became intermittent. I'd been having problems with the fog lights working sometimes, but not others, so I went through the wiring last weekend with a multimeter and found the bad connection. I ended up cutting the original wire and redoing the connection with a bit of soldering and a butt connector... Works fine again now.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i've got the fogs coming on by themselves from 'on' forward (off at 'acc',) and other lights functioning properly when switched,

but the stalk's fog switch is unable to toggle the fogs on/off after this; any idea what i'm doing wrong?

the only connection i can't really be sure i'm hitting perfectly is the fuse, because the contact's kind of hidden -- but that's the constant 12v, correct? so it shouldn't be that one...

i find it hard to believe '100% independent' means fogs may stay on regardless of whether i switch them on/off, lol.

my wiring looks correct after a triple-check :confused:...is this the way it's supposed to be :(?

I'm having the same problem, once the ign is turned on the fog lights turn on and i cannot control them from the stalk. I suspect there might be a poor connection at the harness in the steering column. Has anyone figured it out for an '07?

I asked once, but noone answered - is it possible to make flashing high beam without low beam (like BMW)? When i'm running with only fog lights turned on and flashing someone to pass me both low and high beams are flashing, but i think it's not good for my HID in low beams.

did my last attempt at this tonight; this does not work on my car (relatively early build 05 non-limited). wiring is exactly as directed, fogs illume independent of other lights, but will not toggle off except with the physical circuit separation by moving stalk forward/high beam.

i wonder if my relays are different than the op's; mine are gray, not blue...

looks like i'll be cutting a wire :(

Archived