LegacyGT.com

100% Independent Foglight Mod(NO WIRE CUTTING/SPLICING METHOD)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just wonderding when you connect the harness where is it that you connect just any free space?

and what kind of wires did you use?

cause I tried doing the mod but it didn't work for me

thanks

Smallest wire you could find.

You don't need any heavy gauge wire b'coz there is only about 0.25A of current going thru.

• 3 months later...

I was reading over this mod and had a few questions.

The silver colored leads on the relay (11/12) are the terminals of the coil and the copper colored leads (9/10) are the terminals of the switch/arm, right?

Based on your pictures and instructions, the switch terminals of the relay are unchanged (simply lengthened). But, the coil terminals are connected to ground and one terminal of the rightmost 7.5A fuse. This is simply forcing the relay to be “on” at all times by forcing current to always flow through the coil, right? Would shorting the switch/arm terminals (e.g. wrap a wire between 9/10) achieve the same thing?

fog.JPG.dddefc806e5b185f327839ea033ca665.JPG

relay.jpg.2a057947b8f97ad5c8b7ffb3a5e9287b.jpg

Guest subiecity
yea i took the oem foglights, took em apart and was able to mount em behind my jdm black mesh grille.. and then wired em on a seperate switch on and off to whenever i want

Technically it will have your foglight on independently. But you have to make sure you have to turn off yourself everytime you leave your car. Or else you might drain your battery out.

If you look at the power supply circuit diagram(FB-9).

The foglight relay is energized by battery, constant +12V

Even you take your keys out, your foglight can still be in operation.

That's why I tap it to an "IG1" source instead, that way I just leave my foglight ON at all time like DRL, when I take my key out, foglight shuts regardless.

Or you could be creative, wire a small capacitor in between as a time delay. After you leave your car the foglight will remain on for a certain period of time.

Hope that helps.

I was reading over this mod and had a few questions.

The silver colored leads on the relay (11/12) are the terminals of the coil and the copper colored leads (9/10) are the terminals of the switch/arm, right?

Based on your pictures and instructions, the switch terminals of the relay are unchanged (simply lengthened). But, the coil terminals are connected to ground and one terminal of the rightmost 7.5A fuse. This is simply forcing the relay to be “on” at all times by forcing current to always flow through the coil, right? Would shorting the switch/arm terminals (e.g. wrap a wire between 9/10) achieve the same thing?

Yeap, that helps.

I just didn't get a chance to figure out which fuse you tapped.

Come to think of it, the fuse is probably labeled in the car itself.

Technically it will have your foglight on independently. But you have to make sure you have to turn off yourself everytime you leave your car. Or else you might drain your battery out.

If you look at the power supply circuit diagram(FB-9).

The foglight relay is energized by battery, constant +12V

Even you take your keys out, your foglight can still be in operation.

That's why I tap it to an "IG1" source instead, that way I just leave my foglight ON at all time like DRL, when I take my key out, foglight shuts regardless.

Or you could be creative, wire a small capacitor in between as a time delay. After you leave your car the foglight will remain on for a certain period of time.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
I have my DRL's disabled since I have Apexcone 5K HID's. It would be cool to have fogs as DRL's using the lowered power of the factory (main lighting system) DRL's to conserve bulb life of the fogs as they appear to be a royal pain in the @$$ to replace. Not sure if this is possible??? Anyone?

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just curious, would this allow for the fogs to stay on when the hi beams are turned on. That is my goal, maximum light.

TIA

yes, that's what 100% Independent means

But I think 07 wiring is abit different.

so does that mean '08 is different as well.....

I am interested and will probably try this spring when warmer weather comes about. If I figured out how to pop my trunk with the second press of my remote on my impreza... I can figure this out.

I did a similar thing to my wifes Wrangler when I added aftermarket lights. I wired their relay through the headlight relay so they would shut off with the lights. While doing so I went ahead and wired the fogs semi-independant - they worked only with parking lights (i.e. parking, head, high beams) I didn't want anything to stay on when I shut the headlights off.

Of course with Subaru the key does that ;)

If the '08 is different I'll be back with results.... til then.... subscribe

The method will work on any car.

If you look at the wiring diagram

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/foglite.jpg

We have everything we needed to make it work

Relay, switch, foglights

There are many ways of doing it.

But the trick is to identify the relay,

find a +12V IGN source to energize the relay.

Tap it to the approiate switch pins to complete the circuit.

Hmm, anyone have any idea what's different for the 07-08 models?

On this one, pardon my stupidity, but does relay terminal 86 go into the under column harness and then there's another ground from the same harness? Are these the green highlighted slots 10 & 11 that get the new wires? And should I remove the existing wires from one side or the other of the harness?

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Bump for the question above!

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I went go perform this mod. Had all the wires cut and ready to go. Only problem is that the instructions are just too vague. The pics do not explain enough and the steps are not quite decriptive enough. Would someone be able to give a little more detail? Like what pin(s) the wires go to / come from on the harness. That'd be great.

Thanks

I hope someone replies soon ;)

• 2 months later...
anyone know which one is the fog light relay on an '08? This would be helpful information. When I opened up my dash the relay that was in the location where the OP pulled his was not blue but black. I dont know if this matters or what else would identify the correct relay but if someone could tell me I would appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone modded the Fog Lights for their true use in the Fog with the headlights off? This would not be the 100% independent mod but for the Fog Lights to work with just the parking lights on. On my '97 VW GTI it was simply a question of getting a European headlight switch and putting a jumper inplace of the fog light relay. I suspect it won't be that easy to do on a '05 Legacy GT.

Archived