LegacyGT.com

RE92's doing fine for me

AWD_Rules3830

tantal, we have the Pilot Exalto A/S on our V70 GLT. We like them quite a bit. They are MUCH better than the MXV4s we had previously on that car, in all conditions.

--Lee

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless you are a tire engineer, or can determine the water pathway during operation, you can't really "look at a tire" and determine whether it will be good in the water or not. Sure, the ultra-performance tires have directional grooves... but we're talking about an all-season tire here, so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I have 11k miles on my car (that's about 17000 kms) and have ZERO issues with these tires in the rain, even at high speeds (ie "silly speeds").

If you can't realize when you are hydroplaning your tires, then it's the driver's fault for missing that, not the tires. Sure, you can get better tires (no one is saying otherwise) and therefore you can drive faster on them... but the problem is NOT caused by the tire, it's caused by the driver not knowing the limits of the vehicle (or tires, as in this case). And THAT'S the point of that image...

Sure, you can get better tires (no one is saying otherwise) and therefore you can drive faster on them... but the problem is NOT caused by the tire, it's caused by the driver not knowing the limits of the vehicle (or tires, as in this case)

Agreed. I *knocks on wood* have not had any trouble with my re92s as far as daily driving goes, but then I went out for my first autox. I quickly learned the limits of these tires, and there really is something to be said for learning how far you can push them.

Again, I think they're fine for daily driving, but I won't be buying another set when these go.

There are so many variables to consider in these "tire mishandling" situations it's rediculous to argue about which tire is best. E. G. : If it just started to rain there is oil on the surface of the water causing a slicker surface.

Everyone just sit back and relax. If you don't like the RE92's, go get some new tires. If you think they're OK run 'em till they're bald and go buy another set.

Everyone has their own opinion! Respect all of them!:icon_neut

At 25K my OEM RE92A tires are just about worn out. I have ordered Kumho ECSTA ASX to replace them. I have to vote "thumbs-down" on the RE92As for the following reasons:

1. Mileage. And I'm not especially agressive. Of course they're only rated at 260 so what did I expect? The Kumhos are rated at 420 so we'll see.

2. Wet traction. I don't think they have it. Rear end has broken loose on some turns where I believe it should not have. Remember that the traction rating is "straight-ahead" only. Turns are subjective.

3. Hydroplaning. Started at about 15K miles at 65 mph.

4. Expensive. Even if I did like them they're too expensive as a replacement. Likewise the Turanzas. Compare to Yokohama, Falken, Sumitomo, Kumho, Cooper.

At 25K my OEM RE92A tires are just about worn out. I have ordered Kumho ECSTA ASX to replace them. I have to vote "thumbs-down" on the RE92As for the following reasons:

1. Mileage. And I'm not especially agressive. Of course they're only rated at 260 so what did I expect? The Kumhos are rated at 420 so we'll see.

2. Wet traction. I don't think they have it. Rear end has broken loose on some turns where I believe it should not have. Remember that the traction rating is "straight-ahead" only. Turns are subjective.

3. Hydroplaning. Started at about 15K miles at 65 mph.

4. Expensive. Even if I did like them they're too expensive as a replacement. Likewise the Turanzas. Compare to Yokohama, Falken, Sumitomo, Kumho, Cooper.

On the expensive comment: LOL:lol:

compare the craptastic RE92's to Bridgestones high performance tires - most of them are significantly cheaper, and offer much better performance, for you a/s lovers check out the far superior RE950/RE960 - an excellent a/s from bridgestone. Don't forget about the many excellent offerings from the other good tire suppliers like Michelin, Dunlop, Continental, and even some Goodyears are good tires. There are a lot of choices for far less money than the craptastic RE92's whether you want an all season, summer, or winter tires, all for significantly less money and very significant performance improvements.

Take a good look at the tread... there is no place for water to go! The first problem is they can be mounted to rotate in either direction. A tire like this will never be as good as a tire that is designed to only rotate one way.

They do not break free progressively and predictably - they just lose traction with very little warning and the car is very hard to bring back under control.

+1

It's really hard to say the driver should know the limit of the tire when the limit changes depending on the allignment of the moon and venus in correlation to mars. The RE92's would start sreeching way too soon, yet hold strong... way longer then a normal tire would after it started to screech. But then sometimes, the RE92 would just give way....without even a chirp.

When I got into my accident, I hit a patch of ice in a turn and started a 4 wheel slide towards the outside of the turn. I was able to hold the car steady through the slide and once the road straightened out, the car should have as well. But it didn't. It began to fishtail as the RE92's clawed for traction. I fishtailed back and forth about 6 or 7 times before finally spinning around backwards. I should've been able to recover from the original slide let alone the 6 other chances I had to recover but the friggin tires wouldn't grip...it seemed that the more they slid the better they were at sliding. Btw, I went into the turn at 50 and was around 35 by the time I spun around. Speed limit on the road was 45 and it was a road I drove on just about everyday.

RE92's are a disgrace to bridgestone and Subaru

they also kill bunnies

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Ok, I really want to know what the people who have no isues with these tires are doing differently. There are a lot of people here who seem to be experienced drrivers who have had horrible times with the tires.

In my case, I was accelerating gently from a stop when the car suddenly started to hydroplane off course... what else could I have done? get out and push the car across the puddle? :p

I don't know what I was doing "differently". I accelerate, drive in the snow and puddles, and never have any hydroplaning. Maybe your tire pressures are off? Maybe your alignment is off? I don't know... all I can tell you is that at above-limit speeds, I have no issues with puddles with mine. Maybe you were on a puddle with an oil-slick underneath (common at some intersections) and you were slipping on the water-loosened oil more than the water itself?

As for linear breakaway, I will admit that they don't squeal during hard cornering, but squealing isn't always a good sign for determining grip-limits on public roads - oil, water, grass, dirt - all of these can affect "squeal response". Again, I can tell you that I can take an exit ramp on the way home (daily) at silly speeds with no grip issues. Yes, the soft stock suspension is rather scary (especially compared to my previous sport-suspension car) but it never breaks away unpredicably. In fact, a little gas gets the rear end a little loose, and then the AWD kicks in and pulls it straight... way cool to feel it!

• 3 months later...

I put the RE92's on our Quest minivan. They are excellent tires for a van! We bought a set of 17" Maxima rims for a little over $200 - the Maxima guys seem to be going to 18".

They are very quiet compared to the OEM Goodyear LS2's. They ride well, seem to have low rolling resistance, and don't seem to hydroplane as readily on the heavier (4,100 lb) Quest, which also has a very long wheelbase. Wet cornering is moot since passengers complain long before you can wring it out. And we have Michelin X-Ice on the stock rims for winter.

Now we can wear them out with a clear conscience!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived