LegacyGT.com

RE92's doing fine for me

AWD_Rules3830

well ... after about 3 months of ownership i have come to the conclusion that the RE92s are just fine. At first i was alittle unsure about them but they seem to have settled in from being driven everyday.

I have began to take corners alittle bit faster at night (after midnight) whent the roads are clear to get a better feeling of the car (explorering it if you will) and the tires have let me down once, they seem to hold the road just fine. Of course, im new to performance cars in this respect, soo im not sure what exactly i should be looking for. I have always had a pretty good feel of what the tires are doing, and they dont seem to be having a problem. :)

I love my car ... basically.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wait until you lose grip that one time and wind up in an $8k accident like me. I used to be an RE92 defender too. Then they just gave out on a highway off ramp at 45 MPH. Hit 2 guadrails and just spun and spun.

Since replacing them and getting the car back, been so much better. You REALLY can tell once you change them. You would be surprised.

Watch the rain on those things.

wondering what the posted speed on the offramp was

Uhhh I think 45 MPH is plenty slow considering that the highway was 65. Plus it isn't like it was a 90 degree turn. It is very drawn out and a long offramp and the angle of the turn isnt bad at all.

To put it this way my friend takes this turn in his v6 1999 firebird at 70 all the time and you don't even notice.

^ exactly my point. I wasn't hot rodding at all. In fact I was going to a wedding dress rehersal that I was one of the ushers.

I learned the long and hard way that RE92's just aren't worth the risk.

Although the car is close, it will never be the same thanks to those pieces of crap :(

The RE92s deffinatly suck and i was one of the people that kept them too. I did 25k on them and have swaped tires 2 times so i can judge pretty well. First swap was my 225/45/17 Nokian WR, loved them in the winter and they out performed the RE92s in dry and wet as well. And now I am on 225/40/18 Kumho MX on and 8.5 rim, and this is working great for me.

The RE92's are not that bad in dry, are pretty good inthe rain, and god aweful in the snow. One thing that really bothered me was that they are loud when cornering hard, quite a few imes i had to look over cause i thought there was a civic with a fart can hanging with me in corners and was like WTF. One other thing that may be part of the reason subaru uses them could be that they start squeeling way before they loose grip so it could be a deterrent from hard cornering.

The Nokans are a great tire. They got me through deep snow and lots of snow drifting sessions. They exceded my expectations in dry and wet by alot, they felt way more stickey then the RE92s in almost all situatuions.

The Kumhos are great but not a good choice if you are going to be driving in snow. I only have a few hundered miles and have not pushed them to their limits yet but they have gotten a pretty hard workout. Grip in dry is amazing, I am taking turnus at speeds that I would have never attempted on RE92s, they just feel so much more stable then the RE92's. I was a little weary about buying them cause the price was lower then any other tire i have bought so I am just starting to gain confidence in them and they are not making me wish that I went for one of the more expencive tires I was looking at. I got a recomendation for them from a friend and they did a lot of work talking me into them and out of the BFG KDW.

All in all the RE92 is far from a great tire but it will not be the cause of the Apocalypse, like people say they will.

The RE92's are not that bad in dry, are pretty good inthe rain, and god aweful in the snow. One thing that really bothered me was that they are loud when cornering hard, quite a few imes i had to look over cause i thought there was a civic with a fart can hanging with me in corners and was like WTF. One other thing that may be part of the reason subaru uses them could be that they start squeeling way before they loose grip so it could be a deterrent from hard cornering.

what kinda speeds are we talking here, i havent take a corner too fast, if i do i perfer to really know the corner and travel it often (so i know there isnt something like gravel there) ... and my tires have squeeled at all. soo its making me thing i havent take a corner fast enough yet. idk

I've got 33K miles on my RE-092's and I still like the tires. They are a good balance for all seasons.... not great in any condition.... but not bad, either.

At 22k the first level sipes are worn down for me :/ Good thing I won't be using them next winter. Why do they do that anyway? idiot-proof tires? Certainly won't be as good in rain and snow.

At 22k the first level sipes are worn down for me :/ Good thing I won't be using them next winter. Why do they do that anyway? idiot-proof tires? Certainly won't be as good in rain and snow.

I think they are wear indicators, Deer Killer... if I am understanding you correctly.

I think they are wear indicators, Deer Killer... if I am understanding you correctly.
No, the sipes and tread have different physical levels. You can wear out the sipes and not be even close to the wear indicator (I imagine, no wear indicators here, plenty of tread). If I waited another 3-4k there would be no signs of the sipes left.

No, the sipes and tread have different physical levels. You can wear out the sipes and not be even close to the wear indicator (I imagine, no wear indicators here, plenty of tread). If I waited another 3-4k there would be no signs of the sipes left.

Oh... now I understand! You are talking about the tread block sipes. They don't go all the way down? :eek:

^ +1 mblock. I just changed from the stock RE92s to 225/45-17 P-Zero Nero M+S. The Pirellis definitely tramline worse than the BS tires, but that is the only thing that irritates me about them. There was some rain this weekend and I tried the new tires out on SR9. They are much, much better in rain.

I only have 8k on mine, but overall, they aren't that bad. Sure there are better tires out there, but these are decent. I have driven through snowstorms with no issues, and with the recent heavy rain we've had in New England, I had no issues in the rain either (even at well above posted speed limits). Everyone else was pulling over, and I just kept sailing through.

I will admit, I was literally sailing in a few puddles, but the car tracked straight and just kept going... the key was, don't let off the throttle! Let the AWD do it's job!

Would I buy them again? No, because there are better ones out there... but they certainly aren't that bad.

I will admit, I was literally sailing in a few puddles, but the car tracked straight and just kept going... the key was, don't let off the throttle! Let the AWD do it's job!

really ... i will keep that in mind

Archived