LegacyGT.com

Not Every LGT is Your Buddy!!!

Well, here in lovely warm Phoenix, the highway patrol have a various assortment of 'stealth' cars, most noticably an Audi Quattro TT, white and a white Corvette w/ what I've been told, some serious speed upgrades. The freeways around here are basically a giant racetrack, so they're used often. Now, if only they could figure out a way to catch the ricer's on their crotch rockets.

Oh well, good thing I only have a 'normal' Legacy, a LGT would only cost me too much money/jail time.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's ******* awesome. It's about time US LE caught onto the potential of Subaru as a LE cruiser. The United Kingdom has been using WRXs as police and emergency vehicles and the JNP has been using STis for highway patrol. Washington state has always been very innovative in using unique vehicles to patrol their highways. They used Volvo 240s and Volvo 850 wagons as part of their UC fleet. Nice to see them adding Subaru.

I wish the LGT happy hunting.

i don't see how he can ride in there with his gun belt on in those seats. i've done twice before and it sucks.

my belt always hits the steering wheel, my pistol blocks the seat belt, and my portable hits the door. Im skinny too.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Being a former Grand Marquis owner and a member of crownvic.net, plus the various LEO's I know in person, it's safe to say that most officers just want a reliable car that they can fit in with all their gear. I don't know many that care where it's made.

They do hate FWD because it's more fragile than RWD. They jump curbs and medians more often than you think. People laugh at the "old" Crown Vic platform but it's been steadily refined for 25+ years and is a tough package to beat when looking for a "severe service" vehicle.

I don't think the LGT is wide enough to use as a standard police car. Like the Camaro and Mustang, it's fine for highway enforcement but you need more space once you figure in the equipment, cage, etc.

The GA State Patrol just bought 50 Chargers to try out, although there was no mention if they're the standard 250hp v6 police package or the Hemi. It just means there's a new headlight pattern I now have to recognize from the rear view :D

LE = Law Enforement... so now I have an LGT cop car in my backyard to worry about AND AirSix is unveiled as an LEO :icon_surp (LEOfficer as they say on all the law forums. Easier then distinguishing local cop vs. state vs. fed) ... hmmm... I'll be on my best behavior around Sea-town from here on out. :D
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Superchargers

the std american crown vic cruiser does not have a supercharger. just a 32 valve dual cam 4.6L V8. really, the closest they come to modding the engine is putting a high-amp alternator on it. ;)

If you can read this, you're following too close.

Click Me

the std american crown vic cruiser does not have a supercharger. just a 32 valve dual cam 4.6L V8. really, the closest they come to modding the engine is putting a high-amp alternator on it. ;)

Thats not what I heard. That the doesnt have enough power to keep up with itself.

Last I had heard (my uncle is a Sherriff's deputy) the Crown Vics had the regular 4.6 SOHC two-valve engine common across multiple ford models, trucks and SUV's included, and was previously in the Mustang GT. It may be tuned for "Interceptor" duty, with less restrictive exhaust and computer maps, but I think they are pretty bog standard when it comes to engine internals, in order for them to be serviced easily and inexpensively.

However, It would be interesting to see a cruiser with a 4-valve motor, or a 03-04 Cobra motor (4.6 DOHC Supercharged, 390hp...) or even a 5.4 Lightning motor (also supercharged) installed.

Kinda like a newer ford version of the souped-up cop car from "Black Sheep" with Chris Farley and David Spade. With "Nitro Boosters" :lol:

"Its got cop shocks, cop tires, and a cop motor." -Elwood Blues

I believe the new Charger squad cars are dressed like the V6, with the plain-ish front bumper, steel wheels, and no chrome, but some of them optioned for road patrol do get the Hemi engine in that dressed-down bodywork. Some town-patrol and non-pursuit cars get the v6.

An all-black charger squad car with the SRT8 engine (and the SRT8 front bumper cover put on) and blacked out 18-20" rims and internal lights (like the Legacy in this thread) would be a NASTY copper to attempt to outrun, and would strike fear just from seeing it. Kinda like Mad Max's supercharged V8 Interceptor.

I am not sure what the FWD Impalas and stuff get for engines... One would think they would optionally get the 3800 Supercharged motor, but somehow I doubt it. Wrong-Wheel-Drive FTL.

Out here in flyover country, where cops patrol hundreds of square miles, I would think that Cobra-engined crown-vics, new hemi Chargers, and older RWD Impala SS type chevys would be the ideal choice of many a LEOfficer. I don't have any problem with that, but It would seem like a waste of all that hardware to ticket me for 65 in a 55 in an acceleration zone (straight stretch of rural highway departing and accellerating away from a four-way stop intersection) like I was a month or so ago. I don't blame the cop, but that was a pretty inconsequential thing in the grand scheme.

yea, that 2v 4.6 in the cop crown vics is a dog. i worked on many cop cars and drove them all over the place and they wont even get out of their own way. how can ford make a 4.6 v8 regardless of the valve train and not have at least 300hp. V6s from many manufactures have more power than that v8. the crown vics power train is crap, and the only reason that its still made is that its the last full frame sedan in production. good fro ramming stuff. the engine though, is pure ford garbage. if that engine was made by a european manufacturer, it would have over 350 hp NA. but ford only managed 250hp. its a disgrace.

I wonder if the Crown Vic, or it's replacement will get the 3-valve 4.6 from the 05 Mustang, which does get 300hp...

But I am doubting that, too... how much more life does the Crown Vic have, before they replace it with a larger version of the 500, or something. (meh :frown: ...)

Trust me, from a dig, they are very slow. they run a high 16 or 17 in the 1/4. They do have a reasonable top end though which is why they can keep up in a high speed persuit. however anything over 120 and they are toast. try turning at over 100 in that car with its solid rear suspension and you are done.

they do seem to accelerate pretty quickly though.

and in high speed pursuits they don't seem to be left behind.

:lol: I wrote that the LGT would be a great chase car a few weeks ago in a thread. I use to be out there in Washington for 3 years, when I was in the Navy, lots of rain!
"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

Me likey lots! :D

The only thing that I *_don't_* like about this particular police interceptor is that they've friggin' mounted strobes in the intercooler scoop. WTF? Hey bro Ted, tell us how much intercooler efficiency this guy's losing - or am I just being super-anal and foolish myself! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived