LegacyGT.com

Not Every LGT is Your Buddy!!!

Me likey lots! :D

The only thing that I *_don't_* like about this particular police interceptor is that they've friggin' mounted strobes in the intercooler scoop. WTF? Hey bro Ted, tell us how much intercooler efficiency this guy's losing - or am I just being super-anal and foolish myself! :)

FMIC FTW

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
actually, I've personally seen a cruiser here in Texas with a dohc 32 valve 4.6L...it's the motor they used in the 96-? Cobra....it wouldn't surprise me though if there are departments that buy them with sohc motors....anyway, my original point was that they are def not supercharged....they may have sohc v8s as a majority accross the country, and there may be a few that are supercharged too...

If you can read this, you're following too close.

Click Me

The Crown Vic platform doesn't have a better drivetrain because Ford wants it to die out, plain and simple. They want to sell the Ford 500 as their large sedan, with its whopping 200 whole horsepower.

Proof? Ford has a 300hp 3-valve 4.6 standard in the Explorer. Unlike the DOHC (which wouldn't fit that platform until 2003 due to packaging), the 3-valve will bolt in right now. Ford has a 5-spd automatic, again in the Explorer, that would work nicely in the Crown Vic.

Instead of updating the car with more features and refinements, they continue to de-content it by removing things like the in-glass antenna, rear speaker grilles, and even the remote gas door opener!

There are bolt-on supercharger kits for the cars, netting mid 13s easily. Some of the more modded cars run mid 12s (probably quicker now) and at least one of 'em is a fulltime officer. My former Grand Marquis ran 9.9 @ 74 in the 1/8th mile with a couple of cheap mods. It's not really that fast, but I have seen automatic 4.6 Mustangs run slower, and it beats the crap out of the Civics. With a tuner it really moves once you're going - mine pulled on a friend's WRX from a 50 roll and after 70 it was downright nasty.

I almost dropped the cash on a blower & other cool mods but instead decided I wanted some traction to go with my power. Once I drove a LGT, I sold the Marquis and went out to find the perfect LGT.

Here I am!

i'm pretty sure it might've been answered before, but do regular interceptors have better engines? they don't seem to be outrun that often.

Don't be fooled.....

4.6L detuned Mustang motor. No superchargers, no real secrets. Only noticeable exterior difference between Interceptor version and rental car version V8 is the presence or absence of twin mufflers.

As a police driver instructor who has driven the holy crap out of the CVPI under very aggressive driving conditions, I can tell you it's pretty nimble for a 4,000+ lb car and nearly indestructible. Unless of course it's hit in the rear end at 60mph or more then they blow up......

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

LE = Law Enforement... so now I have an LGT cop car in my backyard to worry about AND AirSix is unveiled as an LEO :icon_surp (LEOfficer as they say on all the law forums. Easier then distinguishing local cop vs. state vs. fed) ... hmmm... I'll be on my best behavior around Sea-town from here on out. :D

No worries....as a now converted LGT fanatic, if you're crusing around and get stopped, it could be me wanting to talk cars.....uh..er, oh yah and that stop sign you just rolled through.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

I can tell you it's pretty nimble for a 4,000+ lb car and nearly indestructible.

i will respectfully disagree with that statement. when your particular CVPI has, oh say, 100k miles on it, it's not so nimble at the higher speeds, and frankly, i don't trust it :(

i will respectfully disagree with that statement. when your particular CVPI has, oh say, 100k miles on it, it's not so nimble at the higher speeds, and frankly, i don't trust it :(

No, you're absolutely correct...100k police miles should be figured in dog years for a car. When the car is mechanically sound, it stays amazingly balanced for a large sedan under heavy loads. Throttle and tranny repsonse is of course lacking, but it does okay for a dated platform. I've found that most cops can't properly EVOC the CVPI, let alone a Hemi-powered Charger....God help us all.

Have you been around long enough to have experienced the LT1 Caprices?

No, you're absolutely correct...100k police miles should be figured in dog years for a car. When the car is mechanically sound, it stays amazingly balanced for a large sedan under heavy loads. Throttle and tranny repsonse is of course lacking, but it does okay for a dated platform. I've found that most cops can't properly EVOC the CVPI, let alone a Hemi-powered Charger....God help us all.

Have you been around long enough to have experienced the LT1 Caprices?

unfortunately no. but in our EVOC training, we did chases, where one recruit was the "rabbit" and he/she got to drive the LT1, and two other recruits were chasing in the crown vics. the LT1 never lost!!!! that is, unless you were a crappy driver :p

I know it doesn't fit most departments' budgets, but I belive a cruiser should be taken out of active service before 100k miles. Like you've said - if used for patrol work there's a lot of wear on the entire vehicle that really isn't addressed by most maintenance depts.

I did a ridealong with a friend in his 98 CV with about 105k miles and it felt much looser than my car after 100 mph. We tried out my Superchips programmer and it really helped his car, even with the pre-PI head engine. The P71 cars should have come with much more agressive transmission tuning, especially line pressure.

Ford's ready to give up on big RWD cars just when all the other manufacturers are re-discovering them. They'll be left with POS rental cars while Dodge and soon Chevy will be sporting 300+ hp sedans, some even with AWD.

Don't be fooled.....

4.6L detuned Mustang motor. No superchargers, no real secrets. Only noticeable exterior difference between Interceptor version and rental car version V8 is the presence or absence of twin mufflers.

As a police driver instructor who has driven the holy crap out of the CVPI under very aggressive driving conditions, I can tell you it's pretty nimble for a 4,000+ lb car and nearly indestructible. Unless of course it's hit in the rear end at 60mph or more then they blow up......

I believe Ford fixed that problem......with the tabs on the axel right ?

GRRRRR....there should be a law. They should only look like what they are...cop cars. Glad they are not upgrading the entire WSP I-5 crew yet. Poor LGT. Grrrr!

:mad:

there should be a law that people shouldn't be doing stupid things on the highway... wait... there is!

:D

Unless of course it's hit in the rear end at 60mph or more then they blow up......

that used to happen at slow speeds too... lost a lot of officers that way.

+1

Although I had a cruiser with 127k and it ran like a champ.

then again I had one with 75k that died on me.

For the amount of abuse these cars take (I know I beat the piss put of mine) they hold up extremely well.

too bad ford can make the rest of there cars that tough!!

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I know it doesn't fit most departments' budgets, but I belive a cruiser should be taken out of active service before 100k miles.

on 3 separate occasions, our agency has had offers for leasing companies (twice) and the federal gov't (once) to buy take home cars (which would double as the officer's patrol vehicle) for our entire agency.

the leasing companies offered a new vehicle every 3 years or 36,000 miles, and they'd install whatever equipment we wanted. the agency nixed it because we have our own shops that do maintenance on the vehicles. the leasing company, however, wanted to do the maintenance on the vehicles, thus putting our shop workers out of business. so rather than put those people out of work, the agency said no to it.

so it's actually usually not a budget issue.

on 3 separate occasions, our agency has had offers for leasing companies (twice) and the federal gov't (once) to buy take home cars (which would double as the officer's patrol vehicle) for our entire agency.

the leasing companies offered a new vehicle every 3 years or 36,000 miles, and they'd install whatever equipment we wanted. the agency nixed it because we have our own shops that do maintenance on the vehicles. the leasing company, however, wanted to do the maintenance on the vehicles, thus putting our shop workers out of business. so rather than put those people out of work, the agency said no to it.

so it's actually usually not a budget issue.

same with my PD:lol:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

unfortunately no. but in our EVOC training, we did chases, where one recruit was the "rabbit" and he/she got to drive the LT1, and two other recruits were chasing in the crown vics. the LT1 never lost!!!! that is, unless you were a crappy driver :p

Let's just say Chevy got it half right with the LT1...put an obnoxious motor into an obnoxiously unbalanced tank and throw in a digital speedo and fake woodgrain for that small cheesy touch of class. The torque in those things ('94/'95) used to twist the entire chassis under WOT, like wringing a towel. Talk about body roll. They screamed like a freakin banshee...scared the crap out of a lot of bangers sitting on their porches! "What the hell essay...this is me hood homie"

As a stupid rookie that was more car than I'd ever driven and I had license to speed everywhere (sigh).....

I believe Ford fixed that problem......with the tabs on the axel right ?

Correct, although many Ford dealerships are still afraid to install them and accept the liability that, well yah, these things do explode and hmmm, all we have to do is a little griding and tabbing. The Taurus had the same design flaw and Ford rectified it by moving the gas tank forward of the rear axel. They wouldn't budge on the C/V for the longest time. I had always loved Ford until they started defiling dead cops memories by saying there was nothing they could do....stupid corporation

....oh yes and also the fact that the still grossly underpowered Mustangs GT's are priced in the mid-30K range....

same with my PD:lol:

Glad to see another brother on here....

Archived