LegacyGT.com

Start up engine problem...

When ever i start my car in the morning it takes a while to turn on...longer than it usually does. Anyone have this prob, or know what i should do about it? In the after noon or anytime after i first start it, its perfectly fine, its just the first time.

More description? When did it start? Does it seem like it's having trouble getting gas to it? I know of a few people that have something like this happen, and have taken their cars to subaru....which they were told that it was because of the summer gas switch over and it will go away as the ECU learns.......don't know if it's BS or not, but...

Reset your ECU, either by leaving the battery disconnected for 30 mins plus, or with AP....let the ECU clear its self and start learning again...might speed up the process....

Otherwise I have no idea.....Try letting the gagues fully sweep before you turn it on in the AM, see if the problem still happens....(so turn the key 2 clicks forward, let gagues fully sweep, then turn the car on)

It can also be the fuel pump needing to prime after having sat overnight.

Some Scoobies "suffer" (I "quoted" this one as it's not really a problem, per-se) more from this than others. My LGT typically starts-up with no delay - while the wife's WRX needs a second or so in the "acc-on" position before cranking.

:)

Give this a search, and you'll see that there's been consistent mention of the issue throughout the Forums. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

i'm having this problem to lately. it will crank a couple of seconds more than the usual one click, only in the morning though. I have 36K miles on the car now, could the battery be getting weak?

I called subie just now they said bring it in and leave it over night so they can hear it in the morn... I have 4k miles on it only and already a prob...its been goin on for about a month now.. i thought maybe its the weather hot and cold than hot again...we'll see what happends.

O and i put the key in and go to start it and its almost like i have to hold it for 2-3 seconds to let it start or i have to turn it on let go(it doesnt connect and turn on) than do it again a sec later and it will turn on than. hope that helps for the info

Yup same here. Happened a few weeks ago. I think it happened after speeding through the parking garage too quickly, because for some reason my exhaust note sounds different like I have a leak or something.

I was going to check under the hood for vac line leaks, but haven't had time yet.

Weird that we are all having this problem at the same time.

Oh noes! it's another epidemic (Like the control arm bushings) *sigh* This started happening to me 3-4 weeks ago :( (After ~20 months of ownership) Since my car is modded I'm not sure I want subaru monkeying with my engine to figure out what's broken.

Please post what it is when it gets diagnosed!

PS -tried all the usualy stuff, resets, etc. Actually I wanted to load an obvious map into the ecu, I suspect for some reason the ECU resets itself (remember what happens after pulling out the battery?) Could be an ECU failure.

Yup same here. Happened a few weeks ago. I think it happened after speeding through the parking garage too quickly, because for some reason my exhaust note sounds different like I have a leak or something.

I was going to check under the hood for vac line leaks, but haven't had time yet.

Weird that we are all having this problem at the same time.

I noticed my exhaust note is a bit different also.. lower... weird.

I noticed my exhaust note is a bit different also.. lower... weird.

This is really Bizarre....I noticed the exact same thing. In fact I crawled under looking for a leak. It sounds great, but lower and a bit louder. :iam:

- The Mortgage Man

What the phuck...It is an epidemic. Indeed weather"s been COLD in Chicago / Midwest but I don"t see it blamed on either the ECU or the battery (16 mo of ownership for me). I seem to have a slightly louder engine as well...

Who has had their car the longest here ? Do you guys have this issue ?

yep, me too!! could it be the ethanol they're putting in the gas now?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Is Ethanol additive supposed to hurt performance or increase it?

Along with the hard starts and change in exhaust note... I've noticed that it studders at some points, even though I'm running the TDC 0 studder map! I've had 0 problems with it until a few weeks ago. My average MPG has been around 23. It is usually around 26, but maybe this is because of the new wheels I have on my car.

I'm running TDC Stage 1 right now.

What the phuck...It is an epidemic. Indeed weather"s been COLD in Chicago / Midwest but I don"t see it blamed on either the ECU or the battery (16 mo of ownership for me). I seem to have a slightly louder engine as well...

Who has had their car the longest here ? Do you guys have this issue ?

had my car since 12/29/05, 36k on it. haven't noticed increase engine noise.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Hypochondriacs! :p

I think we all are in a sense. I notice every little bump, shake, noise, squeek, rattle and hum coming from my car. But haven't had any problems like you all have mentioned and been Stg. 2 for +8k miles.

- Luminati

got my car dec 6, '05 have 4k miles on it, only aftermarket thing i have is a borla CB. Funny thing is this start up thing has been going on maybe 2 weeks before i got my exhaust, and i got my exhaust the end of april... Bringing the car right now...i'll keep everyone posted

1st guess: It's the FPR. There was a service bulletin on "noisy FPR's", well usually noise is caused by a problem. Sometimes in the morning I hear it making odd sounds as I turn the key and the fuel pump gets the system up to pressure. Perhaps coincidence.

Archived