LegacyGT.com

The dreaded Lovebugs are back!!!!!

Any other states have them?

Hard for me to imagine they are a Florida only item;)

I'm having to wash off the front of the car every night already & we have 35-45 more days to go:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Good idea Boon:lol:

OC...any additional suggestions?

Here is what I am currently doing....is it overkill in your opinion?

Daily:

Bucket of water & NXT pro wash (Chenile mit) wherever I see the nasty little F..^*~s.

Every other day I am using the spray detailer on the same areas.

Weekly:

Using NXT paste on the same areas.

I know it seems like overkill to many but these bugs are a terror to paint. They have a VERY high acid content. Leave them on your car for 24hrs in the hot sun & you have pitted paint:(

Guest *Jedimaster*
You guys mean Cicadas? You can spray some WD40 on your front end before you drive in the morning and then the stuff washes off easier.

They really do eat away the paint is you don't wash them off. Made that mistake with my forester. Only washed them off once a week. After a little while I could see where they had pitted the paint. After that, I'm washing them off every night as well. I wax the love bug areas of the car weekly as well, even more often if I'm unusually worried about it.

Never worried about the radiator....I just wash off the fins & they come right off.

No not Cicadas Jedi only about half as big as those but 10 times as many of them. Since monday I have had a over a hundred kills a day:(

I purchased a full Rockblocker kit when I first purchased the car. Sold it less than a month later when I found out what it would cost to install:eek:

Should have just bought the Bullet....

Just a little tip for anyone traveling in Florida in May-June.....If your windshield is plastered with them NEVER.....EVER use the windshield wipers:eek:

LOL Think opening credits of MenInBlack :D

I have only encountered LBs twice on the way to vacation in Destin. I was driving at night, about 9 pm, after 15 hours of driving and my two year old in the back screaming for the last hour because she finally had enough of the drive (me, too). Eyes tired, bugs on the wind screen, tried the wipers and couldn't see. Wife yelling. Me yelling. LOVE BUGS DYING BY THE BILLIONS as they hit my windshield, bumper and hood. The last was the only good thing about the last hour of that drive. And I found a carwash open at 10 pm in Destin! Paint survived. Marriage, too!

• 4 months later...
I usually get to Destin about 7 pm after a long drive with my wife and 3 year old. When there are lovebugs about, I look for a car wash b4 I pull into the condo so they don't get baked on the front end and windshield by the sun. When I've arrived at sunset b4, I made sure I had a squegee to wipe the windshield at dusk so I could see for the rest of the drive in the dark.

Have you guys tried Collinite? Try their 476s or 885

Here is the description...

"Developed especially to seal and shield against acid rain, sun, salt spray, bugs and other environmental acids. Easily applied and non-abrasive, wax will prevent finish deterioration and the adhesion of foreign elements. Easy to apply and absolutely DETERGENT PROOF"

I have been using their Insulator Wax which has been amazing and I have heard that their 476s and 885 is awesome.

Archived