LegacyGT.com

doin a brake job on the GT

Within the week I'm going to be changing the pads and turning or replacing the rotors. I've done pleanty of brake jobs on fwd cars before, but never on an awd car. Is there anything I need to watch out for or need to know before I start? Thanks.

Just have (2) 8mm1.25 bolts in case the rotors don't feel like coming off. Otherwise, it's just like any other brake job....

That's what the rubber mallet it for silly! :icon_twis

In all seriousness, it's as straightforward a job as for any other car.

If you need to bleed the brakes there is a specific order that is recommended. Someone posted it in pdf straight out of the tech notes if I recall correctly. It is a different order than with other cars...

Brother Keefe's got a set of walk-throughs that's great for this stuff:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26028

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22401

And like brother edmundu said, get those bolts - it'll make life a lot easier. :) Be sure you crank evenly, though, as they can get so torqued up as to snap.

If you've done several in the past, you'll be just fine with this one, too. The LGT isn't anything special.

Oh, and watch out for the parking-brake setup in the rear. Remember to let them go, first. :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Brake replacement tips:

- Rear caliper bolt : 27.2 ftlbs , Front caliper bolt: 19.9 ftlbs

- Remember to open the brake fluid reservoir and place a clean rag around it before you push the pistons back into the caliper, else brake fluid will leak from the brake master cylinder. Have someone help you top off the brake fluid when you first pump the brakes to avoid getting bubbles in there.

- You only need a small amount of anti-squeal/brake-quiet stuff on the shims. After installing the pads and driving the car around, stop and clean the brake pads at shims since some of the anti-squeal would bubble/squeeze out.

I keed I keeed

Archived