LegacyGT.com

Everyone's Exhaust Setup

SpawnGT

Is it true that when you put the headers on you lose the boxer rumble?

Yah, who's the exhaust guru around these forums who can settle this? I've been talking to a guy at Subaru and he agrees with me that there is no such animal as a boxer rumble! It's an exhaust rumble. :eek:

This is the reason why when you put on equal length headers - like the Perrins on my car - the rumble is muted. It makes no sense that the rumble comes from a completely balanced equally opposed engine. You know the Harley V-Twin has it's distinctive rumble because it's piston firing isn't perfectly balanced, right? Rather, isn't the rumble in the boxer engine from the unequal length header from the factory?

I guess calling it a "boxer" rumble allows us a bit more affinity and identity with our cars rather than just calling it an "unequal length header" rumble. :rolleyes:

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the reason for the rumble is the unequal length headers. the "rumble" is the exhaust pulsing from each bank of cylinders.

I think its called a boxer rumble only because of the association with the engine. I think because its a boxer engine, it's probably cheaper to have unequal length headers.

Perrin (solid w/no leaks) UP, Cobb Catted DP, AutoSpeed CBE. Headers coming soon!

:p

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I guess calling it a "boxer" rumble allows us a bit more affinity and identity with our cars rather than just calling it an "unequal length header" rumble. :rolleyes:

Yup. If the noise was inherent to boxer engines, then merely changing the exhaust headers couldn't affect it. :)

Yup. If the noise was inherent to boxer engines, then merely changing the exhaust headers couldn't affect it. :)

There is, in fact, an exhaust sound inherent to boxer engines. One of my past Legacys was passed on to my daughter, an 02 which has equal length pipes merging into one. She lives nearby and every time she passes the house her presence is known just by her car's exhaust with its "boxer" sound.

Yes, the unequal length stock turbo header in the 05+ cars magnify the effect. But Subaru's boxer engine has a unique sound, as does all engines. Removing the stock turbo header and replacing it with an EL header definitely changes the sound, all but removing the unique Subaru sound signature.

But recently I discovered something unexpected when I installed a Megan CBE. Ever since installing my APS EL headers and Cobb DP attached to a stock exhaust, the sound had become VERY different from before the headers. NOT Honda, not anyone else, but not "Subaru" anymore either. I did not mind, I liked the sound and the power I got. Adding the Megan CBE changed things once more, oddly and unexpectedly bringing back the flavor of the boxer sound, noticeably at idle. (At WOT it has a head-turning sound like no other I know :) )

However, the fact remains that what everyone relates to when speaking of the "boxer rumble" is not the uniquely Subaru boxer note, but is the sound of the very unequal turbo exhaust manifold. Anyone familiar with NA Subarus knows their exhaust note is unique due to their H4, boxer, engines not their exhausts.

Edited to add:

APS EL headers with integrated UP

Cobb DP w/HFC

Megan CBE

Invidia catted downpipe

Magnaflow catback

Invidia downpipe has fitment issues though. Had to take it to a muffler shop to mate it properly with the catback. Despite that setback, its still cheaper than Cobb's catted downpipe. I'd suggest not getting that downpipe.

Mika

not too many people seem to have the megan racing cbe problems??? and how loud is the borla and the megan cbe's cuz i want a system thats not too too much louder

There have not been any fitment problem on the MR CBE since the very first batch over 1 year ago. We have since added a flex section and adjusted a couple of the bends. Everyone who got one of the early catbacks was sent a the new pipe at no charge. They all fit like a glove now.

As for loudness, both the Borla and the MR are on the mild to moderate end of the spectrum, with the Borla being a bit quieter. The MR is very quiet at idle and light cruise (barely audible), while being throaty, rumbly and noticable at WOT.

As for loudness, both the Borla and the MR are on the mild to moderate end of the spectrum, with the Borla being a bit quieter. The MR is very quiet at idle and light cruise (barely audible), while being throaty, rumbly and noticable at WOT.

Thats actually how I would describe the Magnaflow....there is a noticible drone on the hwy but nothinh unbearable I know when I add an UP and DP this kitty is gonna scream:spin:

Well i dont want people to worry when I say noticible.. What I mean is when I'm driving and I turn the radio off and roll the windows down I can hear it when I'm crusing out of boost. but I do that on purpose case I want to hear it. If i turn on the radio I can't really hear it

Cobb catless DP, Greddy SP2 exhaust system! Sweeeeeet! I was going with hogzaust for quite a while here but this has a total deep thoaty tone and a definite little pickup in HP. Not bad at all. A little louder than what I expected but don't mind it at all. Not obnoxious but that's just me. Will post pics later.

Oh yeah... AP v.2, H&R springs, Cobb front and rear sways, 19" Work Wheels with 225 45ZR Dunlops. I like it all a lot!

• 4 weeks later...

Manifold: Stock

UP: Stock (07, no cat)

DP: AVO 3 inch catted on the way.....

CBE: Megan Racing 3 inch, quad tip

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Archived