LegacyGT.com

Everyone's Exhaust Setup

SpawnGT

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IIRC, the biggest gain to be had after the DP on a stage II setup, is the catback. Other mods like intake and TMIC have almost negliable effect on power.

^ That is, without a doubt, true - after the DP change, the only thing further down the exhaust stream is the cat-back section, and the more pressure that it frees up, the better.

This has always been conventional wisdom, and has always held true. :)

What I remain surprised about - and what snow05gtRI pointed out - is that with testes0101's setup, specifically, the dramatic difference improvement in output between his "Stage I" -to- his untuned "Stage I + cat-back" setups.

Conventional wisdom always had us believing that post-turbo, it's the cats that have got to go, first, and that no significant gains will be seen without these restrictions out of the equation. We even have data to back this up (i.e. my setup, versus, at the time, MSPRO's, which were even tuned by the same tuner [Tim Bailey] on the same dyno [buschur's Mustang]; mine, with the third-cat in-place, was significantly lower than hers)....

But it seems that testes0101's data points to a small - but not insignificant - gain with just the cat-back switch-out - something that challenges conventional wisdom, but nevertheless, seems reasonable and logical.

I think that most of us have just ridden the conventional-wisdom train on-faith. This new data is definitely eye-opening, even with an "n of 1." :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ That is, without a doubt, true - after the DP change, the only thing further down the exhaust stream is the cat-back section, and the more pressure that it frees up, the better.

This has always been conventional wisdom, and has always held true. :)

What I remain surprised about - and what snow05gtRI pointed out - is that with testes0101's setup, specifically, the dramatic difference improvement in output between his "Stage I" -to- his untuned "Stage I + cat-back" setups.

Conventional wisdom always had us believing that post-turbo, it's the cats that have got to go, first, and that no significant gains will be seen without these restrictions out of the equation. We even have data to back this up (i.e. my setup, versus, at the time, MSPRO's, which were even tuned by the same tuner [Tim Bailey] on the same dyno [buschur's Mustang]; mine, with the third-cat in-place, was significantly lower than hers)....

But it seems that testes0101's data points to a small - but not insignificant - gain with just the cat-back switch-out - something that challenges conventional wisdom, but nevertheless, seems reasonable and logical.

I think that most of us have just ridden the conventional-wisdom train on-faith. This new data is definitely eye-opening, even with an "n of 1." :)

miniscule sample sets rule-you can make anything true.

haha

but yes, that huge gain w/ just the cbe is pretty awesome.

miniscule sample sets rule-you can make anything true.

haha

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics." :lol:

but yes, that huge gain w/ just the cbe is pretty awesome.

Indeed, aside from the "n of 1," other concerns arise - i.e. were there any other differences that may, in any way, affect readings, between the two cited dyno runs - but yep, it's an eye-opener, for all of us, even taking that other stuff into account.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics." :lol:

Indeed, aside from the "n of 1," other concerns arise - i.e. were there any other differences that may, in any way, affect readings, between the two cited dyno runs - but yep, it's an eye-opener, for all of us, even taking that other stuff into account.

subscribed to mr estes' thread to see what he can unearth for us lgts!

I will be putting the following parts on by the end of the month/early March

GrimmSpeed UP

Invidia Catted DP

Perrin resonated Mid

Perrin Y

Prodrive Mufflers

NICE set up man! :) Enjoy! Post sound clips when you're done.

• 5 months later...
tingtang, how do you like the megan dp?

its been fine so far.... i only had one issue with it though... and thats the bung that comes with the DP for a wideband o2.... for some reason the hole wasnt big enough to actually fit a sensor through... though the threads did match up... yea iknow... kinda dumb how they would make it that way... but all the shop had to do was re drill the hole to make it bigger... then re thread it... so thats what they said.... other than that it seems like a pretty good quality piece...

Archived