LegacyGT.com

What happened to my Forester XT (Turbo)

Is it me or the vehicle?

We are a Subaru family. My wife drives an 04 Forester XT and I drive the Legacy Gt (lucky me, BTW it used to be an 05 Toyota Corolla :lol: ). I used to drive the FXT and felt that it was a super fast vehicle. Today, I drove it again after a few weeks of driving the LGT (just over 1000 miles on it) and I felt that it was big and sluggish. I really suspected if something was wrong with the Turbo. In fact, considering a turbo guage install. It is an auto, while my LGT is a manual. Is it because of my new LGT I feel the FXT is slow and is it just that I am mesmerized by the LGT. She says it is the same old FXT, it is working great and nothing has changed. The FXT does 0-60 in about 6 secs which is pretty fast comparted to a lot of SUVs/crossovers out there. I was wondering how you guys felt driving another car after driving the LGT?

They feel slow!! Unless it is a faster car (yeah I know Mr. Obvious). But seriously I drive a 2003 Altima once in a while and it is sloooow!

X

---

It is an auto, while my LGT is a manual.

That's it right there. In my experience, a quick car with a manual feels much more responsive and less sluggish than a similarly quick car with an auto.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

That's it right there. In my experience, a quick car with a manual feels much more responsive and less sluggish than a similarly quick car with an auto.

+1

I think the LGT and likely the Forester, given its similar engine, are fairly extreme examples too because of their boost lag. With the manual it's almost never a big deal and really easy/natural to keep it in the powerband, but with the automatic the car feels much less responsive and, to a lesser extent, slower.

The FXT also puts the driver's point-of-view higher relative to the road compared to the LGT, which decreases the perception of speed. But I'd still say it is the difference between manual and auto. Even though they are similar in real speed, the perception of acceleration is higher in the manual, because as boost comes on, you actually have to do something about it to keep the fabric of reality from tearing. ;)
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

04 FXT 4EAT... yup, the tranny is the difference. The 06's have a much more responsive 4EAT and they are very smooth but the 5MT FXT will smoke a LGT given equally skilled drivers. If the 5EAT-S shows up in the FXT it will be one hell of a super sleeper... not as sexy as a LGT wagon though ;)

Don't get me wrong. Our 04 FXT is an awesome car, but compared to the LGT, it is not that fast. The auto, switches to an aggressive mode when I begin to be more agressive with the gas. it was just strange how different the FXT felt after driving the LGT for just over 1000 miles. Perception is all relative. I wonder how it would feel driving an LGT after driving an 06 Corvette Z06.

but the 5MT FXT will smoke a LGT given equally skilled drivers.

Can you elaborate?

The LGT handles better than an FXT. Stock LGTs have been measured to do 0-60 in as low as 5.2 secs (I guess you have to hit 60 in 2nd gear without shifting to 3rd to achieve this). I doubt if the 5MT FXT can do any better.

FXT is right there/touch faster to 60 than LGT, pre 2006... Gearing FTW!

Thing is a beast down low. Tears off the line. Have to be ready to shift to 2nd right after launching it, hehe

Apples to apples.

2006 LGT MT vs 2006 FXT MT, which is faster (0-60) and handles better?

My guess is, it is still the 2006 LGT MT that is faster and handles better.

Everytime I launch, though still breaking-in and keeping it under 5K, it feels like an airplane launch, especially the sound. I love that feeling, including the vibration on the STS:icon_bigg .

I do remember the torque curve is more uniform than a sudden surge at 3K rpm for the 04 FXT.

Apples to apples.

2006 LGT MT vs 2006 FXT MT, which is faster (0-60) and handles better?

My guess is, it is still the 2006 LGT MT that is faster and handles better.

Everytime I launch, though still breaking-in and keeping it under 5K, it feels like an airplane launch, especially the sound. I love that feeling, including the vibration on the STS:icon_bigg .

I do remember the torque curve is more uniform than a sudden surge at 3K rpm for the 04 FXT.

06 for 06 is should be all legy. the gearing changed in the fxt to keep it a tick slower than subarus golden child, the wrx. The 04-05 FXTs were what the WRX should have been, too bad the 06 WRX didn't get the uber short gearing of the 04-05 FXT, just the motor. FYI, Car and Driver's long term 04 FXT tester was clocked at 13.8 in the 1/4, all stock... dayum.

No apples to apples for 2006. I was cross-shopping legacy GT 5MT wagon versus Forester XT 5MT versus 2005 WRX wagon 5MT. FXT was a close 2nd because of the rest of the package didn't match the insane acceleration.

I would not be driving a Legacy today if I had to buy right now. Probably be in a WRX wagon 5MT.

-B

I am starting to feel like my Outback XT 5MT is nothing special power and "quickness" wise. Maybe I am just getting used to it?

Quite likely. I find that I get used and all too often bored with a vehicle's acceleration, or lack of it, much quicker than just about any other attribute. That's why your car feels so fast right after driving a rental but only feels ordinary a week or even just a few days later.

My LGT is my third car. My 2nd car was quite a bit faster than my first, but not long after I got it I stopped getting much of a thrill from its acceleration alone. The LGT is a good bit faster than my 2nd car was even without AWD tranny-abusing launches that I'll never do, but already its acceleration doesn't feel like anything special. (It still *looks* special with all the front end lift, but then my 85hp first car lifted its front end up just as much :lol:)

I'm curious how quick a car has to be for me to never get bored with its acceleration. I have a feeling that it's much quicker than any car I'll own any time in the foreseeable future, at least as a reliable daily driver.

I've found the things that keep a car entertaining to me are the things that really make me feel like I'm connected to and in control of the car. Good steering, a good shifter, good steering & road feel (the latter partly through the former of course), responsive throttle, linear brakes, etc.

Matt, interesting statement about how fast you need to go before you get bored.

I have an 01 Yamaha R1, slightly modded. I was scared to death of that thing for the first 5000 miles. Now, it doesn't seem fast enough! I don't do wheelies, so now I'm bored with a nine second 1320. Time to sell it. Yes, 160mph + is pretty exciting, but how long can I stay alive doing that? Especially when the bike will pull up at 140mph.

The Subaru , on the other hand, is still in the build up stage. Mod's are in place and still coming. The car is silly fast (in car terms), in fact even with the price of gas bleeding me, I still have to go out with the GTimer once a week and do some runs. This car will take longer for me to get sick of just beacuse it does so many things so well. Every Friday I buy five gallons of 109 octane unleaded ($7.75 a gallon) and waste it racing the car. Sunday I wash it and just cruise somewhere to show it off. I love this car, alot.

I'm sorry, my Yamaha does a nine second quarter. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.:confused:

If my LGT did a 9 second quarter, I think I'd be famous by now!:lol:

Last weekend, I ran a 12.79 @ 105.8 with the 109 unleaded. Whoo Hooo!

The temps were in the low 40's, which helps with the IC sprayer.

"feeling fast" is a relative term, my RS-T feels slower than dirt now. Its not set up for blazing 1/4mi passes but rather for auto-x, tiny RHB5VF10 on it but last weekend when I ran into an 04 WRX wagon it was all RS-T... the sense of power/speed can really be deceiving. Honestly, I get into a GT/XT and its so freaking smooth compared to my uber down-low torque peaking, 4.11 rear end fast shifting RS-T that it feels slow, until I check the speedo that is ;)

Archived