LegacyGT.com

Best/cheapest way to reduce body roll...

Prod

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drive a steady/straight course as much/often as possible, don't change lanes unless you absolutely have to, quit trying to make the make turns as the lights are changing from green to yellow and/or red, gotta stop slaloming in traffic......better yet just park it and walk everywhere (but not if you consume any alcohol)......Peace

I thought the wagon was 50/50, what will moving the battery do?

No, it's more like 60/40.

It's such a pig, though, that I'm not convinced that even moving something as heavy as the battery would help...

Ben

Subarus in general are pigs. They plow in to turns and it takes some time before you get the hang of getting the front end where you want it to go, but once you get it there its really stable. Kind of the opposite of an EVO, that is no work to get it to turn in, but it makes you work to maintain it. Go to a few auto cross events and learn the car a little better and learn what a differance proper lines make in turns if you haven't, that will make the biggest differance of all.

Without sacrificing street ride quality?

I was thinking sway bars; one of my friends recommended I go springs, sway bars and shocks. :( In an ideal world where I unlimited money and I could run stiff suspension on the track and soften the ride for street use, I would do all that. But I'm wondering, what can I get away with? I have Kuhmo MXs for the street and Dunlop Super Sport Race tires for track use. What can I do so I can get the most out of my tires?

put 40lb of sand in the trunk.

Best way?

1. Springs - Stiffer, which directly reduces body roll, and lowers center of gravity which reduces weight transfer and thus improves grip and reduces body roll.

2. Reduce the weight of the car as much as possible (cheap and better performance all around)

3. Swaybars - will reduce body roll and camber gain during cornering but will increase weight transfer and reduce comfort depending on how stiff of a bar(s) you choose.

4. Corner slower :lol:

lol, I've seen prod's ownage wagon in action (and ridden in it while inebriated!)

it NEEDS sways badly.

Indeed it does. I'm going to stick it in the budget for 09.

To not reduce ride quality, but reduce body roll - swaybars all the way. firmer springs inherently will increase ride firmness. Same for dampers (most req'd for the firmer springs anyway).

I'm glad this thread was resurrected. I was wondering the same thing. Springs or sways? I would like the new look that springs would give, and a lower center of gravity, but I heard that they don't do as much of a difference in overall handling, and that sway bars would be the better choice for increasing the handling...

I'm glad this thread was resurrected. I was wondering the same thing. Springs or sways? I would like the new look that springs would give, and a lower center of gravity, but I heard that they don't do as much of a difference in overall handling, and that sway bars would be the better choice for increasing the handling...

springs and struts should always be done before sways IMO.

Sways will reduce roll more then lowering springs (usually), are easier to install, and don't require an alignment. So it's a quick, effective, and cheap first step with little penalty in ride quality.

That said, the OEM struts + springs are just not that good for the LGT, so it makes it a tough call if you HAVE to choose between the two.

- andrew

springs and struts should always be done before sways IMO.

Hmmm, interesting. What reasons do you have for this conclusion? Keep in mind that my struts are already kinda upgraded since the spec b comes with bilsteins... To be specific, I have a choice between either a set of 22mm Perrin front and rear sway bars without endlinks, or a set of Swift springs. In a perfect world, the obvious choice would be both, but considering that I'll be going to college in the fall, I gotta take it easy with the mod spending.

Hmmm, interesting. What reasons do you have for this conclusion? Keep in mind that my struts are already kinda upgraded since the spec b comes with bilsteins... To be specific, I have a choice between either a set of 22mm Perrin front and rear sway bars without endlinks, or a set of Swift springs. In a perfect world, the obvious choice would be both, but considering that I'll be going to college in the fall, I gotta take it easy with the mod spending.

I totally disagree with springs first. Sways reduce roll and camber changes with out compromising straight line ride or ride height. Springs will do the same thing, but ride quality Will suffer under all conditions. The best setup,(for the street (and for that matter on bumpy tracks) is the softest spring/shock rates possible and the sway bars set to stiff.

Remember that body roll does not impact actual cornering G's. Preventing camber changes does and both springs and sways do this. Changing the roll center (via springs) will also increase G's (via lowering) but suspension travel also suffers and you will hit the bump stops which is NOT good. (Damn Bumps!)

So if you want to "blast" down old bumpy back roads, sways are the way to go. If you want to "blast" down nicely paved city streets, springs are great.

My 2 cents from an old bat!:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

...Remember that body roll does not impact actual cornering G's. Preventing camber changes does and both springs and sways do this. Changing the roll center (via springs) will also increase G's (via lowering) but suspension travel also suffers and you will hit the bump stops which is NOT good. (Damn Bumps!)...

+1

One caveat... increasing roll stiffness through stiffer springs or stiffer sways will increase lateral weight transfer during cornering, which can reduce grip if your tires aren't up to the task, or if the weather/conditions are poor.

It is all a balancing act, so take plenty of time to research...

Archived