LegacyGT.com

Wow. I love the AVO filter

OCDetails

I took it out and went on a little spirited driving test. ;) Definitely sounds better. It amazes me that such a little box can reduce the noise by that much. I'll have to drive it for a couple days to decide if I like it or not.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

OK, mine's out, again. I'll see if like it better this time.

Edit: Sorry to continue the hijacking of this thread, but I just went for a drive and my impressions of the silencer removal are: Not a huge difference, lower pitched than I remembered, but not throaty, as I would like. Sounds more like a drone-type sound to me. It's also only audible between 3-4K rpm, I'd like some noise as I wind it out. I think I'll leave it out for now as I like the idea of having the space to put an intercooler sprayer reservoir. Does the AVO panel filter have a throatier growl to it? And does it draw out into the higher rpms? Oh, and I have yet to hear anything resembling a BPV, maybe I just don't know what to listen for.

you only hear the whistle under normal driving and if you let off the gas to hear it. if you keep reving up the motor noise will kill it. with up/dp/ and avo filter mine whistles pretty loud around town, but when i get on it all i hear is the engine reving up which has always been the same cept now its a lil louder and the wastegate flutter is nice.

also when i switched from my ome filter with 13k on it to the avo i got 2 cels. cleared them out and they never came back. so if it happens to anyone else dotn worry. im also getting about 3 more mpg around town now. my oem was pretty dirty in the middle but i didnt think it was that bad.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

The sound of the car driving wasn't really any different after I put the AVO in. I could hear the whoosh between shifts and I could hear the turbo spool better, but that's it. Once I took the silencer out it sounded like a really low resonance hummmmm through the car. I could feel it more than hear it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup I started with an AVO air filter and tires and look where I'm at now. :lol:

I finally washed my AVO filter last weekend after a year.. it was really dirty but I was really impressed with how well it filtered. The engine-side of the filter was completely clean. I'll never use an oiled filter again.

So the air filter won't melt if you get water on it? How come they don't make the intercooler out of the same material? That seems dumb.... It's like, if the black box is the only thing that survives a plane crash, then how come they don't make the whole plane out of the same material?

OCDETAILS BLOG

I went from the K&N to the AVO. Both made an audible difference in intake sound and also BPV. I like the AVO better b/c of the "no-oil" factor. As far as gettin' soap on 'em... AVO is building a new intercooler made entirely out of their filter material, hence no melt-down while carelessly washing you car with the sudz!!:icon_bigg
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

• 4 weeks later...

:lol: :lol:

I went from the K&N to the AVO. Both made an audible difference in intake sound and also BPV. I like the AVO better b/c of the "no-oil" factor. As far as gettin' soap on 'em... AVO is building a new intercooler made entirely out of their filter material, hence no melt-down while carelessly washing you car with the sudz!!:icon_bigg

OK both you and OC made mention to this but it is VERY NEW to me!

If you accidentaly spray water into the intercooler from the hood of the car something will melt away? Please explain this to me. It sounds very scary!

If this is the case then I think AVO would sell a million units of their new TMIC!!!

Please help!

EDITED.... well after hours of searching I came accross the complete story and what turned out to be an aweful joke.

I was recounting every single time I washed my car and how careful I was..or wasn't I. I also remembered a few times when I washed my car with the car facing the house which is on a slightly sloped driveway where water could easily rush into the IC. It didn't make sense especially since the STI has an IC sprayer but the whole thing didn't sound right. How could I have been here four months and never come accross something like that.

In addition the dealership went over the car and told me every little point to watch out for. They told me 20 times about not towing it by two wheels and all sorts of other stuff. If there was a freaky problem with the IC acting like a witch and melting when hit with water and soap they would have mentioned it.:lol: :lol:

It's a good thing I spend 2 hours researching every thread I read.

Thanks guys!!! LOL

OK both you and OC made mention to this but it is VERY NEW to me!

If you accidentaly spray water into the intercooler from the hood of the car something will melt away? Please explain this to me. It sounds very scary!

If this is the case then I think AVO would sell a million units of their new TMIC!!!

Please help!

Relax, it's an inside joke that most of the noobies fall for :lol: . Nothing to worry about!

I don't know that the butt dyno has noticed any gains, but I definitely get that cool 'whoosh' sound between gears now. I couldn't ever hear that before. Two thumbs up for noise. :)

Which vendor sells AVO filters?

... and no, I won't fall for that melting intercooler trick. Nosiree. :lol:

Archived