LegacyGT.com

Some LGT brakes suck?

Xaqtly

I must be one of the lucky ones, my brakes are 100% stock, and can almost launch me through the windshield if I am not belted in. On the other hand, the brake feel is not the best, and the stock pads seem to glaze up easily in normal commuting use. But some heavy braking knocks off the glaze, with a felt improvement in braking power.

The above sounds good until you look at the facts. EG, of the about 150 cars tested by C&D (April) about 8 cars/SUVs had longer stopping distances than the LGT. And a BBK will NOT help. Any good BBK company will tell you this upfront (EG Brembo, Stoptech).

Course you can always disable the ABS, but this will also disable the EBD, so the car will ,in effect, have casters on the rear wheels.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:(

Well if you look at the spec-B the braking distances are over 15 feet shorter. Same brake system. Much better tire.

One pass braking is pretty much soley determined by reaction time and the type of rubber you have on your car.

I can gaurantee if you put an 8 piston AP system on your RE92'ed car you will not even get remotely close to the spec B stock with the stickier rubber.

Any good braking company will tell you that tires are the key to shorter braking distances.

My stock brakes are terrible. very very mushy. in fact you can push the pedal down 2" and it wont even do anything.

driving in snow.. completely worthless.. everytime you barely hit them to slow down the ABS would kick in. and alot of times in the rain. I took it back to the dealer.. they replaced all 4 rotors.. it improved the braking a little but I would still rate them far from adequate. I sniped a complete stage 2 upgrade off of ebay last week, we'll see how much better they are with diff rotors/pads/lines and fluid.

obviously we have a huge difference in the QA of the stock brake system, because there is no way those of you who say thier LGT brakes are fine could drive mine and say the same thing. I have driven another (same year) LGT and the brakes were much much better. So those of you who's brakes work decent, dont think those of us that are complaining dont know what we are talking about. I've had plenty of cars and years and years of experience racing. There is truth to what we are saying.

Ive always thought it was the master cylinder. I dont know alot about subaru's master cylinders, but back in the day we use you have an adjustment screw on the master cylinder that could adjust alot of play out of the pedal. that would help quite a bit, but i dont think thats possible on newer cars. maybe there was a crappy batch of masters out there, i dont know.. but if Im not satisfied with the brakes after the stage 2 upgrade, it leaves no other possibility than the power booster or master cylinder.

-Tronix(STOP)GT

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

Tronix -

What tires are you riding on? I'm wondering if this may be contributing to your early ABS activation/wheel lock under slicker circumstances.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Try driving an STi everyday and about 3-4 times a week jumping in an LGT. I've scared the crap out of my self more than a few times thinking I've got the Brembos to slow me down. These brakes are far inferior to the Brembos (of course.)

It gets even worse the faster you make your car too.

The LGT brakes, IMO could be a little more aggressive, I wouldn't say as far as Brembo agrgressive, but a little more function and feel would be nice.

the dealer told me just to pump the brakes that would do it fucthat got some new racingbrakes kit two-piece rotors slotted and four piston calipers one-piece rears dirrerent brake pads f@r also lines all around and fluide super blue

ps.robinlsb who told you that I mean get one or two 500+rwd or even awd and I think that opion would change real quick I really don't think you have driven something that fast our you would not talk like that:icon_roll

It sure sounds like there are bad LGT brakes out there, perhaps just needing a good bleed. I have NEVER had to pump my brakes at all. I don't have 2" if dead travel. The brakes can easily outdo the RE92s.

On the contrary, I took my Jeep Gr. Cherokee- driving buddy for a spirited ride a few weeks back and then hammered on a stop on a side road.

He thought the car stopped on a dime. I told him that the brakes could use improving with better pads, but they were OK.

I am used to my old Acura tin can that had upgraded pads and rotors, and that actually stopped on a dime. Oh, drums on the back, too.

The Leg can use some upgrades, but for an OE set up, it's pretty good. Nothing to throw in the garbage.

My stock LGT brakes and those POS RE-92's saved the ship tonight. I was in the middle of a six-car pile up on I-95 in Westchester earlier, and somehow.. in some miraculous way.. I stomped really hard on 'em and threaded the needle between two colliding SUV's and the concrete median .. all the while the LGT tracked true under the most demanding circumstances I've ever been involved in...

Not one scratch on the car at all... I owe it to the brakes and steering - even as they were under full emergency maneuver mode...

Glad to know they were there when I needed them, but I wouldn't recommend anybody trying this at home...

Tronix, it also sounds like you need a good bleed...

dem fightin words? ;)

Im running Nitto NEO GEN's.. its a great tire, but my brake problems have nothing to do with tires.. im running racing slicks for autoX, and I have blizzack's for winter.. doesnt matter whats on it, mine are still terrible. in fact i hit the ABS today. my last car in 4 years i may have hit the ABS twice. with the Legacy its an almost daily occurence.

-T

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

ps.robinlsb who told you that I mean get one or two 500+rwd or even awd and I think that opion would change real quick I really don't think you have driven something that fast our you would not talk like that:icon_roll

I don't have a clue what this sentence means:iam:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I don't have a clue what this sentence means:iam:

LOL!:lol:

My stock LGT brakes and those POS RE-92's saved the ship tonight. I was in the middle of a six-car pile up on I-95 in Westchester earlier, and somehow.. in some miraculous way.. I stomped really hard on 'em and threaded the needle between two colliding SUV's and the concrete median .. all the while the LGT tracked true under the most demanding circumstances I've ever been involved in...

Not one scratch on the car at all... I owe it to the brakes and steering - even as they were under full emergency maneuver mode...

Glad to know they were there when I needed them, but I wouldn't recommend anybody trying this at home...

Ahhhh, the beauty of ABS!

dem fightin words? ;)

Im running Nitto NEO GEN's.. its a great tire, but my brake problems have nothing to do with tires.. im running racing slicks for autoX, and I have blizzack's for winter.. doesnt matter whats on it, mine are still terrible. in fact i hit the ABS today. my last car in 4 years i may have hit the ABS twice. with the Legacy its an almost daily occurence.

-T

Yep...join the crowd....we are on our third set of tires (all different brands), so it doesnt have anything to do with tires. These are the worst brakes of any car I have owned (40 something)...and yes, we get the ABS several times also...

Respectfully, I believe it does have something to do with the tires. When I changed the RE-92s for the F1s, it made a very noticeable improvement in braking AND CONFIDENCE! Pads and lines further improved feel BUT the tires made the bigger difference for me. The combination of tires and pads and lines helps alot, but I lust for the Brembos I experienced test driving an STI. I had the same experience 2Simpletons mentioned - after test driving the STI and getting back in my LGT, I constantly felt like I could not get the car to stop. That was stock and that's why i upgraded tires, pads and lines.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I am satisfied with my brakes for the most part. What I do notice is some fade when driving in "AZZHOLE MODE".

Funny thing, I get a slight pulsation only when they get really hot. Otherwise they are smooth up into tripple digits.

I do see alot of "pad transfer" to the rotors, this will cause some vibration at times. This is the first new car I have ever owned that made it to 15K without needing a resurface! My Honda's were terrible. The one Volvo I owned was an unfixable P.O.S.

ROBINLSB BBK you said are a waste of money I would not say that it can save lives that's what I ment when I said you could not have a fast cars in the past must have been mom@dads cars :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

ps why would any brake company would tell you that it will not help please

Archived