LegacyGT.com

October 2004 Car & Driver Comparo - 3RD Place?!?!

[quote name='SchnellerGT']Good news for me...a LGT buyer! 3rd place means maybe fewer people buying it and the price will do anything but rise![/quote] But also remember your resale value will suffer.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's nice to see a subie be competitive. compare this result to the prior generation legacy GT car and how it would have fared. look at who finished dead last? the VAG 1.8t product. dead last. and audi's are the gold standard for interiors. it's a good sign for subaru that they were a close third. the TSX is a nice car after all and the L-GT doesn't have six speeds, doesn't have the nice clutch feel that hondas have and for a lot of people, those things matter. they just don't to most new englanders. all weather fast is what i'd rather have over a slick european honda accord.

Eh, you know, I got my wrx when they were first out and I got it for a couple grand off retail, yet it held its value pretty well. I bought the legacy at a similar margin so hopefully it will do as well. Subie's just don't seem to garner the "we're not buding off sticker" ability that acura's, say, do. If you look, however, wrx's hold their value as well or better than similarly priced rsx's, so no worries as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='Gumby'][quote name='SchnellerGT']Good news for me...a LGT buyer! 3rd place means maybe fewer people buying it and the price will do anything but rise![/quote] But also remember your resale value will suffer.[/quote] I don't think C&D is important enough to affect my resale price 5 years down the road with a messed up comparo. :lol:

[quote name='bemani'][quote name='Gumby'][quote name='SchnellerGT']Good news for me...a LGT buyer! 3rd place means maybe fewer people buying it and the price will do anything but rise![/quote] But also remember your resale value will suffer.[/quote] I don't think C&D is important enough to affect my resale price 5 years down the road with a messed up comparo. :lol:[/quote] I agree but poor sales will lead to more incentives which will hurt the value of used examples. My comment above is relative, Subaru's are always a good choice resale wise, at least where I live.

I'm a little baffled by the interior comments the C&D dished out, especially considering that they JUST did a Road Test of an Outback, and said nothing bad at all about the interior. Oh, and what's that? Oh yeah, the Legacy and the OB have the same friggin interior. Oh well. I still think my 20K 2.5i is better than anything in that lower price range. I'm also in agreement with C&D about the doors - the fronts do sound kinda cheap when they close if you use any force. Just gotta be gentle, I guess.

Surely Subaru can do something about the sound the doors make when they close, we know it's because they are pillar less but there must be a way to damp the window or whatever it is that’s making it sound cheap. It's amazing how people put so much emphasis on the sound of the door closing when assessing the quality of a car.

[quote name='Gumby']Surely Subaru can do something about the sound the doors make when they close, we know it's because they are pillar less but there must be a way to damp the window or whatever it is that’s making it sound cheap. It's amazing how people put so much emphasis on the sound of the door closing when assessing the quality of a car.[/quote] I thought it sounded good and solid. :?: Silly people :D. "My door shuts better than yours!!! ARR!" :wink:
-ben

They should change their name into "Car and door closer". I always thought Car and Driver magazine was purchased by car enthusiasts. I thought it was written for people who love cars and even more to drive them. People that would take handling and engine power over cute purse storage bins or god damn sound that door makes when it’s being closed. Here is the new link for Car and Driver magazine: [url]http://www.womentodaymagazine.com/[/url]

[quote name='Driver72']You should send a copy of that comment to Car and Driver themselves. Just remove the G-damn word and change the "Car and door closer" to "Car and their Interiors"[/quote] Do it! Do it!

[quote name='bond007']I love the power,style and handling of my GT wagon. I'm in 100% agreement with C&D about the "junky" sounding doors. Compared to the TSX and Audi the front doors on this Suby close with the sound,at least to my ears, of a 10 yr. old used car.[/quote] If you slam the front doors, or with the windows down, yes it does sound like this. If you close them slowly, they sound great.. especially the rear doors.. I'm sure a spot of dynamat will fix the front door..

[quote name='Gumby'][quote name='SchnellerGT']Good news for me...a LGT buyer! 3rd place means maybe fewer people buying it and the price will do anything but rise![/quote] But also remember your resale value will suffer.[/quote] Who gives a crap if you're going to OWN the car, not replace it in three years because it's too boring or too broken. I think it's stupid to sell a car before resale value flatlines anyway.

[quote name='miko']Check it out guys: [url]http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14288[/url] "gotta have it Factor"... :roll: WTF!![/quote] Do they realize that their car got a thurough rogering in every performance catagory from the GT. C&D picked the car cause it was "pretty" inside. Congrats TSX owners....go with it. :lol:
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='racerdave']Ok... I have nothing against the TSX. But... I don't see that many of them on the road, and when I do, they're pretty farging invisble styling-wise. "Is that an Integra? A TL? No, a TSX. Oh..."[/quote] Its a bird...no its a plane...wait! its an ACCORD!

You know, after having read through the scanned article, I don't think the Legacy review was negative at all. The GT is currently tuned for the soft side and combined with Subaru's long-travel suspension and RE92s, C&D's comments are understandable. Out of the powertrain and interior appointments, these aspects can be modified relatively easily. Ken

Archived