LegacyGT.com

October 2004 Car & Driver Comparo - 3RD Place?!?!

Lets see, the Volvo was already Euro spec, so... Lets just do Autos for easy comparison, Euro spec Audi, Euro Spec Legacy 3.0R, and Euro spec Accord. After all, two are supposedly basically Euro spec models. :P

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
to be honest, the Volvo's interior is EXTREMELY dull, to me. It's not interesting at all! Even tho the Audi has a plan design, it matches the Audi's tyle, and built with very high quality. actually, i think the Volvo looks like the Audi a lot, at least the head lights, grills and stuff. they have exactly the same position !

• 3 weeks later...
For the record, I STILL have not decided between the Legacy GT and the volvo s40 and have driven both (but not the MT volvo). I have not driven the TSX (although perhaps I should) and have never driven an audi. There were a couple areas where the review seemed off-base in favor of the Legacy vs. the Volvo, and a few where they dinged the Legacy and it surprised me. As others have said, the interior in the Legacy is quite nice and nothing to ding it for. I did not notice any problem with the door sound, but perhaps the windows were up. I did think they considered the turbo lag in the Volvo worse than in the Legacy, and this did not seem right at all to me. But I only drove the automatic Volvo, so perhaps that is the better tranny in that car. What I did realize when reading the review, though, is that if gas mileage is a concern (and in their test they seemed to rate this highly), then to get decent mileage out of the Subaru, you would be driving it at rpms it does not excel at. And this is a problem. If you don't care about the mileage, this is no problem. I have no problems with the rankings of those two cars, though (and by points they were extremely close in the rankings), given my limited time in the vehicles listed. Of course, my goals fit precisely the goals of Car and Driver's stated intent (performance + affordable mileage). If you want power and speed, buy the Legacy. If you want mileage and a name, buy the Volvo. They both are VERY fun, imo. Dhyana

I dunno, I scratch my head at the mileage thing because I'm getting very good mileage, but I do seem to be getting better than most. I must not be driving as aggressively in my old age...(but then with the legacy I don't feel like I HAVE to drive it anywhere near as aggressively to get the oomph out of it).

Archived