LegacyGT.com

October 2004 Car & Driver Comparo - 3RD Place?!?!

Ok, I got impatient for my issue to come and read the article (the Leggy part anyway). The GT's review was not bad. I think (as has been suggested before) that better tires and a more buttoned-down suspension (ie: JDM GT) would've helped a lot. Otherwise, their beefs were minor. Nobody should get their panties in a wad over this one...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='racerdave']Ok, I got impatient for my issue to come and read the article (the Leggy part anyway). The GT's review was not bad. I think (as has been suggested before) that better tires and a more buttoned-down suspension (ie: JDM GT) would've helped a lot. Otherwise, their beefs were minor. Nobody should get their panties in a wad over this one...[/quote] Exactly....The Legacy GT Lmt. is a $29K car, and to be honest...it lacks lots of "creature comforts" that my 2001 Maxima had (for the same price). 3rd place is not bad...considering the competition Mark 2005 Silver Legacy GT Lmt. Sedan

I don't know why everybody's so upset about it. Let's face it. Acura has been doing the whole luxury thing longer than Subaru, so it better have a better interior. They are pretty knowledgable about handling too- NSX, Integra Type-R. For Subaru's first attempt at luxury on a brand new redesigned Legacy, it did fairly well. It beat the Audi, so the Subaru execs should be happy. In the end, it's still down to the driver (you). The Audi I wouldn't consider because of reliability. So I didn't even read that section. Oil sludge, electronic gremlins, no way. The TSX? No thank you. I already have an Accord and I'm not spending $30K on a rebadged Accord. I did the VTEC thing, time to move on. So it's down to the Volvo and Subaru- and the difference was 3 points. I suspect the gap would be closer if they used the 2.7L AWD version (although in that version, the price is getting pretty high for a S40). As a prospective buyer, the article didn't influence me at all. It just tells me that the S40 and Legacy are competitiors. And I'm gonna have to take a real close look at both.

[quote name='outahere']For another perspective on the C&D test, from Audi and VW owners, check out this thread: [url]http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1572818[/url][/quote] Holy badge snobs batman!! There is some serious Subaru HATE going on in there... :roll:

[quote name='GT Ski'][quote name='outahere']For another perspective on the C&D test, from Audi and VW owners, check out this thread: [url]http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1572818[/url][/quote] Holy badge snobs batman!! There is some serious Subaru HATE going on in there... :roll:[/quote] magazine racers.... The subaru is an anti-snob car.. of course they hate it. Almost all of them are full of crap too, considering I drove and a4 back to back with a gt, as far as NVH, the engine was louder when at WOT, but that's about it. One of those guys says NVH is horrible on the legacy.. He probably hasn't even seen it outside of a picture. Audi plastics felt pretty damn cheap too. Honestly the interior in the legacy is better. Truthfully I'm not surprised the TSX won. An accord is a nice car, and they spruced it up a bit. However after 8 years of one-wheel-drive accordland, forget it. Popularity does not a good car make. Remember the huge maxima craze back around 2000? What a POS car. Suspension, looks, audio, fit and finish, engine sound, it all sucked. I'm certainly not concerned that it got a low rating. Many substandard and stupid things are highly rated and popular.. Britney... etc.

[quote]I do not think that TSX sales are that great in my area. The salesmen at the Acura dealer told me they sell about 40 -50 TL's per month and only about 5 or 6 of the TSX's.[/quote] TSX imports are limited by Acura. They only have a limited amount of production capacity. They are selling about 35,000 per year since they were launched which is very good for a niche car like the TSX. (They were only planning 15,000) By the way on total sales the new TL is selling about 70,000 per annum so it outsell's the TSX 2 to 1 so the sales guy must be a real stud to outsell them 8 to 1 [quote]Some one double check, But I believe the Subbie was rated quietest of the 4, in all but one category[/quote] Legacy quietest at idle (Tied with TSX at 40db). Quietest at WOT (73db to TSX 74db). TSX quietest at 70mph (69db to 70db). And trust me TSX would be even better at 80mph. There is no doubt that the TSX is noisier at WOT but the Outback has a lot of wind and tire noise at high speed. Maybe the wagon with the roof rails makes it much noisier, and don't get me started on those tires. Biggest reason the GT didn't do better.

[quote name='GT Ski'][quote name='outahere']For another perspective on the C&D test, from Audi and VW owners, check out this thread: [url]http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1572818[/url][/quote] Holy badge snobs batman!! There is some serious Subaru HATE going on in there... :roll:[/quote] the vwvortex boys are just embarassed that their "sti-equivalent" is the overweight pig of a golf called the R32 that couldn't outhandle nor outaccelerate a bone stock WRX, let along a leg GT. :D i'd be bitter, too, if my car was made and assembled in mexico and fried the turbo when chipped, seized up because of oil sludge (ha ha ha ha) or couldn't get through a snowy intersection from a standstill during a blizzard. hee hee hee.

[quote name='GT Ski'][quote name='outahere']For another perspective on the C&D test, from Audi and VW owners, check out this thread: [url]http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1572818[/url][/quote] Holy badge snobs batman!! There is some serious Subaru HATE going on in there... :roll:[/quote] Always is.

You can tell the amount of ignorance on that board. I like the ones saying that Subaru won't be able to compete with some of the larger displaced engines with the 2.5 Boxer. He fellas...news flash....go put your cars up against a 1.3L FD and see how well you fair. What a bunch of yahoo's.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I have driven both the LGT and the S40 T5. The LGT is more a driver's car, with better handling, and better over all acceleration. However, the S40 has LESS turbo lag, a nicer interior, and let's face it, a more attractive exterior as well. I am torn. :) If only the LGT Spec B is available here! Ed

[quote name='Ed328Ci']I have driven both the LGT and the S40 T5. The LGT is more a driver's car, with better handling, and better over all acceleration. However, the S40 has LESS turbo lag, a nicer interior, and let's face it, a more attractive exterior as well. I am torn. :) If only the LGT Spec B is available here! Ed[/quote] I wrote a large "review" of these two cars in another thread. But wanted to post that I agree with you that the Volvo has less lag, but it has a smaller turbo. Smaller turbos have less lag. The Volvo T5 only blows 8.0 psi of boost into the engine. The LGT's 2.5 blows 13.5 psi of boost. Hence the greater power in the LGT. Did you notice that both engines are 2.5 liters? One is an inline 5 the other a Flat four. Both unique in the car world. And ironically enough, in natural aspirated form, both put out the same 168 hp! Interesting. In next months issue, they obviously got the LGT to accelerate faster than all the others, except to 120 mph, where the Volvo beat it. Again, that's a no brainer as to why....the LGT has AWD the Volvo T5 they tested did not. Had the Volvo T5 had AWD it surely would NOT have reached 120 mph faster than the more powerful LGT.

[quote name='bigbadboss101']Ok, what does NVH stand for? It has to do with the engine noise? I did see it as a category in the test. I thought the sound of the TSX was noticeable under acceleration. The LGT sound is a bit different. But I like the sound of the engines.[/quote] Another question, what is WOT?

I have driven both the LGT and the S40 T5. The LGT is more a driver's car, with better handling, and better over all acceleration. However, the S40 has LESS turbo lag, a nicer interior, and let's face it, a more attractive exterior as well. I am torn. :) If only the LGT Spec B is available here!

Ed

That is the ugliest interior I've seen. :!: It's also a Euro-spec car they tested.

volvo.thumb.jpg.6c0fd81c718e5a9d14a94dc97a535a30.jpg

Archived