LegacyGT.com

Cusco F&R Sways & CLUNK! Help?

STiNGER

I have a JDM rear anti-sway and my clunk appeared yesterday. It is always there when I turn right. I have had it for a month, retightened everything a week after the install...will have it again on the lift tomorrow.

Meanwhile...is clunking something we have to live with or is it detrimental to the car and needs to be re-addressed.

my suspension is stock (no struts, springs changed) save for the JDM piece.

Advice needed. Updates even more so. Funny how so many of us report clunking all at once.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to be retightening everything this weekend, regreasing everything that needs to be, and attempting to put on a "homemade whiteline" horizontal anti-movement kit. I'll let you guys know...

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I paid a visit to the mechanic today...had the car on the lift for half an hour. It turns out - in my case at least - that pulling down on the sway bar and letting it go will cause some "vibration" and noise in the right side bushing where the RSB mounts. I have the JDM yellow piece and I noticed that indeed some of the grease I put there kind of ran away. That being said...everything else appears normal, sway bar endlinks (stock) are still in one piece, angled properly, the mounting plates for the RSB are still tightly welded to the chassis, the bolts are tight, every shit is in its proper place, no friction signs, no metal scraping metal...

My suspicion is that the new bushings that come with aftermarket sways are plastic - hard plastic - as opposed to rubber, rubberized plastic of the OEM sway. The increased rigidity of the aftermarket parts and the plastic bushings translate into some vibration-induced clank. Definitely something that shouldn't happen but for now my message is...keep it under observation and live with it. It doesn"t appear to be particularly damaging to the car...

If anyone else knows where I can get 20 mm bushings for the RSB ...other than AVO please let me know. Other than that...I will keep an eye on it...and try to dial the noise out of my brain...cause I cannot remove it from the car.

I paid a visit to the mechanic today...had the car on the lift for half an hour. It turns out - in my case at least - that pulling down on the sway bar and letting it go will cause some "vibration" and noise in the right side bushing where the RSB mounts. I have the JDM yellow piece and I noticed that indeed some of the grease I put there kind of ran away. That being said...everything else appears normal, sway bar endlinks (stock) are still in one piece, angled properly, the mounting plates for the RSB are still tightly welded to the chassis, the bolts are tight, every shit is in its proper place, no friction signs, no metal scraping metal...

My suspicion is that the new bushings that come with aftermarket sways are plastic - hard plastic - as opposed to rubber, rubberized plastic of the OEM sway. The increased rigidity of the aftermarket parts and the plastic bushings translate into some vibration-induced clank. Definitely something that shouldn't happen but for now my message is...keep it under observation and live with it. It doesn"t appear to be particularly damaging to the car...

If anyone else knows where I can get 20 mm bushings for the RSB ...other than AVO please let me know. Other than that...I will keep an eye on it...and try to dial the noise out of my brain...cause I cannot remove it from the car.

Um...Did you make sure to tighten everything down again? I have the JDM setup on my car and there is zero clunk. I figure that (with the exception of the bushings) if the JDM setup doesn't cause a clunk on the JDM legacy, why would it here? The bushings are of a different material, but they are the exact same size as the stock bushings (with the exception that the hole is bigger for the 20mm bar). One thing you can do (might be a pain) is swap left and right bushings and see if the clunk appears on the left side. If so, then you really know for sure its the bushing.

I don't have the AVO endlinks on yet, but I am going to put them on once the iON springs are on, I will report if I have any clunk.

Ok, well after struggling getting my upipe to fit all day yesterday, I found a bit of time to try a solution. First let me say that I notice grease marks that appeared to show that the sway bar was indeed sliding laterally. I'm under the impression this isn't supposed to happen. My solution most likely has the same intention of the whiteline kit solution. I cut some industrial grade hose (red stuff) and stuck 2 pieces on the inner sides of the bushing mounts but-up against them. I then cranked them down with small stainless hose clamps. I made sure they were very tight and very snug against the sway bar mounts. I've driven the car about 3 hours, trying to reproduce the clunks, and I haven't been able to. I'm not deaming this a success quite yet, but I hope some other people try something similar, and post their results.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, well after struggling getting my upipe to fit all day yesterday, I found a bit of time to try a solution. First let me say that I notice grease marks that appeared to show that the sway bar was indeed sliding laterally. I'm under the impression this isn't supposed to happen. My solution most likely has the same intention of the whiteline kit solution. I cut some industrial grade hose (red stuff) and stuck 2 pieces on the inner sides of the bushing mounts but-up against them. I then cranked them down with small stainless hose clamps. I made sure they were very tight and very snug against the sway bar mounts. I've driven the car about 3 hours, trying to reproduce the clunks, and I haven't been able to. I'm not deaming this a success quite yet, but I hope some other people try something similar, and post their results.

pics?

I have Cusco f/r sways and endlinks. I don't have clunking or popping, but I do have creaking while making slow turns. Should I expect this kind of sound given the stiffer sway bars or should it be as silent as stock?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

but aren't sway bars supposed to move inside the bushings (laterally) ? Well not sure if they"re supposed to move laterally - but certainly they must be able to rotate inside the bushings...hence...lateral movement as well.

I don't have pics, but look for pics of the whiteline kit, and just install something similar butt up against the inside of the sway bar bushings. So far it's dramatically reduced the clunking if not eliminated it. I need to get under the car and check and see of things have shifted over time. I'm guessing no. I don't think the sways are supposed to slide laterally. I think they are supposed to rotate. Can someone confirm?

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I have the same problem on my wagon for months - I got under and loosed everything then tightened everything up again...but I just noticed that there is a lot of vertical play in the bushings. That is I can grab the sway bar and without using much effort move it "up and down" in the bushings. Seems like about 1mm of gap around the bar.. Is that normal? I would expect the bar to be quite tight in the bushings with no significant play (obviously the bar can slide laterally -i.e. left to right with the endlinks).

Is is possible that a bunch of CUSCO rear (front?) sway bars shipped with bushings for 22mm bars?

Where can you buy replacement bushings?

• 2 months later...
I have h-tech and whiteline adj. swaybars. I get no clunk. I would check the endlinks. I had a clunk when I first put on the bar and it was a loose endlink. I would say try the whiteline lateral locks. It will stop the bars from sliding and my help. That was the cuase of alot of peoples clunks. As for the ride I have my bars set on soft and I also have 19"x7.5". Once I got my new tires(225/35/19 general exclaims) the ride is great.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I was told to make sure suspension was under compression when installing sways.

I did mine on ramps and (knock wood), quiet as a mouse with stock endlinks.

P.

Interesting. Does it really matter whether it's under compression or not?

this is just great, wanted Cobb sways heard they clunked could not wait. was told and read here that CUSCO's were good no issues. buy a set and am ready to install and BAM now CUSCO's clunk. what the hell. :icon_conf bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

All I can say is my clunking is gone. My fix cost about $2. Effective but not pretty. It's doing exactly what whiteline's kit does. It secures the front sway from sliding laterally. I have small pieces of cut up hose on the insides of the sway bars connecting brackets. Over these pieces I've cranked down some nice hose clamps. I initially did this for a test, but have since decided to leave well enough alone. No clunking, car drives great! Tightening of the Cobb endlinks did not and does not fix this type of clunking issues. Putting on the sways under load should have no effect on this either. I can't see how that would even help.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

All I can say is my clunking is gone. My fix cost about $2. Effective but not pretty. It's doing exactly what whiteline's kit does. It secures the front sway from sliding laterally. I have small pieces of cut up hose on the insides of the sway bars connecting brackets. Over these pieces I've cranked down some nice hose clamps. I initially did this for a test, but have since decided to leave well enough alone. No clunking, car drives great! Tightening of the Cobb endlinks did not and does not fix this type of clunking issues. Putting on the sways under load should have no effect on this either. I can't see how that would even help.

the stock bars do not slide, why do the aftermarket bars slide?

bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

In my opinion, from years of working on various cars, aftermarket parts very rarily work perfectly from the start. From manufacturing tolerances to usages that are improper, things just will never feel like stock. That's one of the slippery slopes you travel when going down the *lifetime* path (read addiction) of aftermarket modding.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

this is just great, wanted Cobb sways heard they clunked could not wait. was told and read here that CUSCO's were good no issues. buy a set and am ready to install and BAM now CUSCO's clunk. what the hell. :icon_conf bosco

Cusco F&R's for two months....no clunks and lowered on iONs. Check those endlinks.:confused:

Cusco F&R's for two months....no clunks and lowered on iONs. Check those endlinks.:confused:

have not installed yet. probably should purchase new end links just to be safe? :icon_conf bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived