LegacyGT.com

Cusco F&R Sways & CLUNK! Help?

STiNGER

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a problem with Cusco. It is a problem with the ride height. I have a whiteline bar with H-techs.

I don't think it is causing damage; other than stress on the swaybar brackets. That is why I was thinking of a relocation bracket for the fronts; maybe only a 1" lower would help???

like I said the few attempts on fixing have been: different types of grease, changed endlinks, sway bar stops, etc.

If aftermarket (and perhaps OEM) swaybars all have this problem with lowering springs, that's ridiculous. I'd bet at least 50% of all aftermarket swaybar buyers also lower their cars. You would think the swaybar makers would be smart enough to design their bars with enough versatility to deal with a 1 1/2- 2 inch variation in ride height.

I agree completely kartracer, it's ridiculous, I'm working on trying to find a solution. I have an engineer looking at stuff tonight on his lift. We're betting we are going to find nothing, and the clunking is some design flaw in lowering w/ after market bars. I'm hoping we can first establish whether everything is safe, and secondly try to come up with a make shift fix.

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

If aftermarket (and perhaps OEM) swaybars all have this problem with lowering springs, that's ridiculous. I'd bet at least 50% of all aftermarket swaybar buyers also lower their cars. You would think the swaybar makers would be smart enough to design their bars with enough versatility to deal with a 1 1/2- 2 inch variation in ride height.

You would think. I am just venturing some new ideas of why our bars make noise????

Ok my buddy finished my car this morning, and we just traded cars back. So far everything is safe, a couple things were retorqued but otherwise everything tight. No clunking as of yet. He found one end link bolt that was potentially not tight and could be causing what I was describing. He also found that the hole at the end of the cusco bars exceeds the diameter of the bolt provided with my Cobb end links, so if that was loose (and it was slightly) that the play in that could cause a clunking sound. I'm starting to lean towards the theory that if everything is properly fitted and tight, and everything that should be lubed IS lubed, we should not experience clunking. I'm gonna test the car HARD tomorrow, so we will see.

Another thing to note, for everyone, is that stainless steel nuts fuse or seize to stainless steel bolts under stress, torque, and/or heat. The reason I mention this is because there is the possibility, because of the angles in play when installing a sway bar, that you may tighten a nut and bolt on an endlink and still have it loose. If you torque it correctly, but the assembly of the endlink bolt isn't perfectly straight (cobb for example) once the assembly straigtens during driving, there may be excessive play. You may think, oh well, I'll just tighten it, however you can not. This is because under the original torque the stainless has fused to the stainless bolt giving you the impression things are tight but they are not.....wheewww i hope that made sense.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

As promised there is a possible solution to your problem. The sway bars on the Subie can move laterally under certain circumstances.Whiteline has kits to prevent the lateral movement of the sway bar, part # W0450-size (with "size" relating to the diameter of the sway bar).

The part is pretty cheep, might be worth a try.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

As promised there is a possible solution to your problem. The sway bars on the Subie can move laterally under certain circumstances.Whiteline has kits to prevent the lateral movement of the sway bar, part # W0450-size (with "size" relating to the diameter of the sway bar).

The part is pretty cheep, might be worth a try.:)

i wonder if this would fit with non whiteline swaybars or is it specifically for their make

Yeah Robin, got the scoop on if it'll work with other bars?

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I have that part, but have not installed it yet. I believe it will fit other bars that are the same size. It is a a piece of bushing with a clamp around it; a set of four.

As far as I can tell it will fit any bar as long as the diameter is correct.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I saw the kit, and read how it's installed. The questions are: should these sway bars move laterally? Is this causing the noise we are all hearing, or allowing the noise to happen by shifting? What's the downside of securing these bars from lateral movement?

I'm refering to aftermarket sways in general, not whitelines. I don't have experience with theirs.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I just bought the same setup: H-tech + Cusco F & R Sway, waiting for shipping now. I'll have stock endlinks thou. I am a little worry after reading this thread as I am a weird noise/rattle freak. I'll make sure everything is tight when I put them on.

Any one else tried the whiteline kit with Cusco sways?

I haven't tried the whiteline kit, nor will I ever, as it's something I can make at home depot for 5 bucks, which I am going to try in the next few weeks.

GTDom, don't worry about this setup, I don't believe there is anything unsafe about it, and people have been complaining of clunks with every setup. They don't happen all the time, and frankly don't bother me to much. Im curious to see if the stock endlinks have any effect. Please report back!

What I don't understand is that everyone usually lubes up the swaybars on the D bushing mounts FOR lateral movement, and the whiteline kit essentially prevents this movement from happening. I'm wondering what the ramifications are. I'm going to have to get the car on a lift, and imagine what's going on. Unfortunately this week/weekend is truck time, so the Frontier is getting some work done.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I'm going to grease up the bushings for the sway bars this afternoon. I didn't before because someone told me that they did not have any noise with their cusco bars on their wagon. I'm using the stock end links, so I think it's just the fact that the bar might be separating the bushings a little bit and hitting the clamp that is causing the "clunk" sound over large bumps. I'll find out for sure if that's the case today. :)

What I don't understand is that everyone usually lubes up the swaybars on the D bushing mounts FOR lateral movement, and the whiteline kit essentially prevents this movement from happening.

The lubing of the bushings is so the bar can rotate properly - NOT for lateral movement. The bar rotates - that's how it functions; how it transfers the load from one side of the car to the other. The bar does not need to move laterally to function. (But I agree with the Home Depot > Whiteline thought!)

I installed my Swift sways + Avo endlinks last weekend and had some clunking from the front. Discovered yesterday that I neglected to properly tighten one of the front endlink bolts. Clunking is gone for now, but we'll see...

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I just bought the same setup: H-tech + Cusco F & R Sway, waiting for shipping now. I'll have stock endlinks thou. I am a little worry after reading this thread as I am a weird noise/rattle freak. I'll make sure everything is tight when I put them on.

Any one else tried the whiteline kit with Cusco sways?

My two cents:

The stock endlinks are weak at best. They will stress with a lowered suspension. You don't "have" to switch out to the endlinks, but recomended. Of course, you want to check if everything is secure and tight, but I think the popping is do more because of the lowered body. I could be wrong, but a lowered suspension is slightly lowering the swaybars; which is moving slightly off of what is it supposed too??

so what's the consensus here...aftermarket sway bars are a great improvement for handling, but some clunck when coupled with lowering springs? I have perrin fr & rr sways/endlinks on my STi and love them, but after 1 yr I'm starting to hear a clunk, possibly a strut.

I'd like to go ahead and get a set of fr & rr swaybars/endlinks for my lgt, should I go with perrin, cobb, or whiteline? Thanks!

I'm not sure who to go with, I like cusco for instance, but the clunking I believe is a problem across the board. This thread is slightly on hold right now, as I have some things to do before I attempt the whiteline kit fix. Probably next week sometime I should have results.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I'm still working on a solution! I'm confident there will be one. I will not rest until I do. :)

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Archived