LegacyGT.com

So who wrote to C&D for the month of May?

I love my LGT, however I am assuming there are many commenting on the Rx-8 who have never owned one. Powerwise the LGT spanks it hands down. However, handling wise stock vs. stock, the LGT comes no where close to the Rx-8 (not even the great Spec B). If there is one thing that Mazda has done consistently from one generation to the next is exceptional handling. It's a matter of having a lighter car, that is 50/50 balanced.

There are downsides to the 8 yes, but don't talk about handling and state the LGT comes anywhere close, thats just biased opinion.

And that's exactly what I have been saying. People seem to have a great deal of trouble separating power from handling in their arguments.

With regard to the G35 comments above, again, the LGT can't touch this car when it comes to fine handling. Oh, yea, what about Braking?

:iam:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The LGT wiil compete, or beat, both the RX-8 and the 330 on a track or an auto-x w/ equivalent tires and tires...

That has been proven :D

Ted

Have both drivers drive both cars, and compare laptimes. I doubt, with good drivers, that you are right, considering both (all three) cars in bone stock configuration - okay, let's make it fair and give all three cars the same rubber - say the pilot sport or any street-compromised track tire.

I'd love to be one of the drivers in this comparo, by the way, if there is any interest!

okay.. C&D may not give the LGT a fair shake...

But quit trying to say C&D hates subaru.

" Car and Driver Magazine's Best Small SUV 3 Years Running‡ (Subaru Forester)"

Thats just an ignorant statement.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Even Lesbians get tired of reading "Mountain Bike" magazine all the time.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Have both drivers drive both cars, and compare laptimes. I doubt, with good drivers, that you are right, considering both (all three) cars in bone stock configuration - okay, let's make it fair and give all three cars the same rubber - say the pilot sport or any street-compromised track tire.

I'd love to be one of the drivers in this comparo, by the way, if there is any interest!

i dont know that i agree with this either....the bmw brakes are far superior and stock suspension (w/ sport package) is also much better for the track or autox. stock leggy in autox would be pretty slow i imagine due to falling out of boost and understeer.

I've commented on that before... until the new RAV-4 it was the ONLY thing in the whole segment with any excitment at all.... and it has a whole LOT of excitement. It's hard to turn your head when you have no other choice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3399

my favorite quote: "a torqueless slog at low rpm"

and this long-term review shows what an engineering marvel it is:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=2935&page_number=1#mazda

oh wait, you wanted to talk about handling only (now; before you wanted to marvel about what a superior car it was overall)

Road & Track: 65.4 mph for the rx-8 vs. 64.9 for the lgt thru their 700 ft. slalom = WOW! that's a HUGE difference (we won't mention they got 67.2 mph with the spec-b; that would be overkill)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3399

my favorite quote: "a torqueless slog at low rpm"

and this long-term review shows what an engineering marvel it is:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=2935&page_number=1#mazda

oh wait, you wanted to talk about handling only (now; before you wanted to marvel about what a superior car it was overall)

Road & Track: 65.4 mph for the rx-8 vs. 64.9 for the lgt thru their 700 ft. slalom = WOW! that's a HUGE difference (we won't mention they got 67.2 mph with the spec-b; that would be overkill)

Three points.

First, 0.5 sec in the slalom IS a big difference.

Second, we're talking about the LGT, NOT the spec B. In fact you point out JUST HOW BAD the LGT is by comparison to the spec B. The spec B is significantly better handling, and the diff between it and the RX-8 IS down to engine power.

Third, you're putting words into my mouth. You are blinded by the thinking that your favorite choice is the best and no one should have a different opinion than you. You are worthy of ignore. bye.

Honestly, if Mazda had come out with a turbo version of the RX-8 or even continued the RX-7 line i wouldnt be talking to you guys. I would own a Mazda BUT while a wonderfully handling car is great i crave power in a VERY close second. Very close... I figured it would be easier to improve the handling of the LGT rather than increasing the power output of the RX-8. I know quite a few people with RX-7s and that rotary engine can be a cast iron bitch to get power out of. I know the Renisis engine is a marked improvement over the FD(yea i dont know the engine code) but its just something i was prepared to take a chance on. But as it stands right now im too damn broke to even add a pair of anti-roll bars to the LGT so basically this is all a moot point for now. At least talk is cheap and that i can afford. =)

Oh, and i wanted 4 doors too. Got tired of the 2dr hatch and the RX-8 is just lacking space to me even thou it IS technically a 4dr ( or was it 3? ).

So, I was reading the latest autoweek, and in autofile is an article on the ford fusion. In it the staff are very surprised by the performance of the car in the slalom test. Just for grins, I thought I'd look up the corresponding times for the LGT, the RX-8, and some other cars.

car speed (mph)

06 Ford Fusion 44.3

C55 AMG (a fat pig) 44.1

VW R32 44.5

05 LGT 43.7 (erm, :()

04 RX-8 46.3 (erm, not a typo)

06 330 sedan 46.0

06 IS 330 44.2

04 S4 46.4 (remember that the LGT is faster in a straight line, um than ALL these cars)

I think this quote says it all:

"The slalom is where heroes become goats and goats go home. "

Look up the articles yourself at autoweek.com

I'll not provide commentary the data are pretty self explanatory except for those of you with blinders on. Remember I have and love an LGT 5mt. Some of you guys take the cake, though.

Exactly how hard would it be to upgrade the suspension of the LGT to equal or exceed the RX-8's slalom speed?

I don't know the answer to that (good) question. My guess is that it will be very challenging, because first, the RX-8 is significantly lighter, and second, you can't stiffen the monocoque, and I think the RX-8 monocoque is significantly stiffer. Third is wheelbase, but I don't know what the diff is there.

My suggestion (and what I'm going to do when I save some cash) is to go with the general recommendations you can find here at LGT.com, and do the pink springs, stiffer sways, and decent rubber. That will be pretty darn good, much better than stock, and not too expensive.

g/l

Second, we're talking about the LGT, NOT the spec B.

oh, i see, only tantal gets to decide which cars to compare, because it is so fair to compare a four door sedan with essentially a (albeit underpowered) sports car; but when i bring up the spec-b's slalom, you cry foul -- NOW who has the blinders on?

You are worthy of ignore. bye.

since you have me on ignore, i guess you won't mind me saying that you initially came off as a total pretentious prick, then backpedaled to saying you were only commenting generally on handling and then continued your backpedaling to say that i was putting words into your mouth; go back and read your own posts, you know what you said

SIGH ... come on now folks. This is the plain and simple truth, for the month you wont find something that will do all the things the LGT can do ... you cant take an RX-8 in the snow safely, you dont find a car that puts the power down as well as the Subie in all weather situations, and you wont find that makes as little compromises as the leggy does in everyday driving conditions.
I love my car ... basically.

Man, we are starting to sound like the Volvo people when you make comments about the legendary Volvo safety.

Well that funny because the our leggy's are actually rated safer haha ... who got the gold rateing ... SUBARU LEGACY

I love my car ... basically.

:lol:

tantal has gotten into spats like this before..you can find them if you search. I remembered seeing at least one before with the same argumentative attitutde...

Hey, Heightswhatever...people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones....sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. In fact, your potshots just confirmed exactly what Tantal was saying.

Oh Jeeze...you guys are not gonna like this (under Quick Picks, from May 2006 issue)...

If Subaru keeps up the hard work, they may come up with a vehical as nice as the Lincoln Zephyr.

I did run into one of those on the highway one evening and he was more than willing to show me what it could do with all 221HP. I could do nothing but watch him become a spec on the horizon. It was like someone hit warp speed!

stock leggy in autox would be pretty slow i imagine due to falling out of boost and understeer.

Not really. It's pretty close to a stock WRX with equivilent drivers. In D-stock, it'll hold it's own.

Archived