LegacyGT.com

So who wrote to C&D for the month of May?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks flyboy333 for writing to them in such a way that it actually got printed. We should all write to them complaining about their weak responses and lack of love for the Legacy. The Spec B would have fit in their comparo just fine, and it would have been a nice follow up from '04.

X

---

love their response..

becuause an 04 legacy didnt do well, therefore an 06 model wouldnt even be considered? Uh okay assholes, now put the 06 up agaisnt a tsx and s40 and see how that turns out...

C&D HATE subaru, I didnt think so until I read this editors comment, so snooty, as if, "we gave you your chance and you blew it".

I guess the editors are just pissed because their wives make them drive TSXs and S40s ;)

AND i think i will write a letter to them saying i will be canceling my subscription in favor of Road and Track and Motortrend, magazines that actually judges cars, and doesnt already know what car they are going to choice to win before they even drive them; and stop comparing everything to Fing BMW's. BMW ... i HATE their handling, i know its suppose to be sooo sooo great, but its really not. They are WAY overrated and completely not worth it.

Rant off ... hahaha

Um, I hate to say it, but it is obvious that you've never driven a BMW, or simply don't know how to drive. The GT handling package does not compare with the 3 series. OTOH, the new 3 series really does look like a pontiac. =\

Seriously, go and drive a 325 coupe with the sports package. If you don't like that, then you simply cant drive.

What do you think of the miata? Go drive one of those too.

So, heres the thing about the GT. It handles very well considering the smoothness of the ride, and the price, but there is far too much body roll in the thing to have truly responsive handling, although it must be said that the feedback through the steering wheel is excellent. It just takes too long to take a set in a corner. In fact, it is a tribute to the good overall suspension design that the thing performs as well in slolum tests as it does. The car does have exceptional grip , admittedly, from this softness, but it is not sharp enough.

Another BIG minus for the GT in comparison with other near luxury cars, but especially the BMW, is that the engine sounds like a farking DIESEL, and there is quite a bit of transmission whine.

I think when you consider these two factors, it is difficult to rate it with the BMW, even at $10 k or more cheaper.

It's a great car, I love it as my family wagon - in fact, I wouldn't live without it. However, would I buy the GT sedan? Not in a million years. The RX-8 is far far better to drive. Even a 2 or 3 yr old 3 series would do much better. Of course, if I couldn't have either of those cars and had to choose from the A4, s60, and cars of that ilk, well, I just wouldn't buy any of them, especially the A4, which is about 500 lbs heavier than my 98 1.8T. I'm going to be keeping that until I feel like dropping the cash on the RX-8 or 330 coupe.

Dude, have you driven a rx8? IT has NO power whatsoever. Handling is obviously good. But...

Um, yeah, about 1000 mi in my friends car and about 8 test drives. Again, if you don't know how to drive it, it is slow. You MUST rev the engine to near redline to access the power. And is it ever sweet. The great thing is that you have this huge plateau of power with this engine - you have a very fine tuning with the throttle, which is extremely valuable in low and medium speed corners (95 % of the corners driven on public roads).

You can drive this car to the limit with precise control. Why do you care about power? There is clearly sufficient power on tap, although it's no 350Z. But who cares? I'll never understand this. So many people who think they love to drive would, for example, choose a late 60's mustang/camaro/whatever with the big ass motor over an underpowered but fine handling british sports car. What is wrong with these people? Drag racing is fun for less than 10 seconds, but a twisty road is fun forever! Not to mention how pathetic those muscle cars are when you need to turn the steering wheel.

The RX-8 is an absolute dream to drive - creamy smooth and absolutely nailed to the road. The car communicates exceptionally well with the driver, and although its a light car, it feels very clean and firm on the road.

The car compares favorably to a 911 in its packaging and handling, better than any front engined car ever has. I would hazard to say that the RX-8 is a better handling car than the 330 coupe. And it's not about power.

If you are looking at a car for total power output, it explains why you have no appreciation for truly great sports cars - and we're lucky enough to have several to choose from.

Did I mention that a miata test-drive should be an eye-opening experience? if it isn't, then you have a lot to learn about driving, honestly.

to add to whateveryone has already said (cos I'm really bored today)

a friend of mine has a TSX, and I had a loaner S-40 overnight once.. NEITHER OF THOSE IS EVEN CLOSE TO AN LGT!

if Car and driver doesn;'t know what a REAL car is then thats their problem, not ours.

as long as subaru of america doesn't drop the LGT model line, I'm cool.

I was at my dealer last night STILL trying to find a car with navi (long story, not relevant on this thread) and every legacy they have GT or otherwise is an 05... they haven't ordered any 06s at all. They have 5 outbacks that are 06s, none have navi, none of them are turbo and only about 3 of them have any options. "subaru just doesnt sell" I'm sure they'd say..

whats wrong with this country when the best cars being sold today for the price arent selling.. yet people buy scions and camrys??

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

to add to whateveryone has already said (cos I'm really bored today)

a friend of mine has a TSX, and I had a loaner S-40 overnight once.. NEITHER OF THOSE IS EVEN CLOSE TO AN LGT!

if Car and driver doesn;'t know what a REAL car is then thats their problem, not ours.

as long as subaru of america doesn't drop the LGT model line, I'm cool.

I was at my dealer last night STILL trying to find a car with navi (long story, not relevant on this thread) and every legacy they have GT or otherwise is an 05... they haven't ordered any 06s at all. They have 5 outbacks that are 06s, none have navi, none of them are turbo and only about 3 of them have any options. "subaru just doesnt sell" I'm sure they'd say..

whats wrong with this country when the best cars being sold today for the price arent selling.. yet people buy scions and camrys??

Yeah, good point about the TSX and S-40. Just so peeps dont think I'm bashing the GT, I agree that these two cars don't touch it. I don't think the A4 touches it either, but it is a noticably nicer car.

Note to SOA, it is hard to sell a product that you don't advertise. =\

:icon_mad:

Tantal, i have owned cars that you had the rev the piss out of to get any power and while it is fun at first it just gets plain old and aggravating after a while. I got sick of having to downshift 3 times on the highway just to pass some old fart that was going 45 in the fast lane. Now maybe that sort of powerband would be great on a track it just plain sucks out in normal roads with normal or even semi serious spirited driving. Unless im looking for a track car( Lotus Elise ) i dont think ill even think of getting a high strung 4-banger or rotary again. It just gets old fast and starts to wear on your nerves after a while.

The C/D response was BS!! How many times do they test Honda's and Toyota's and the LGT gets a "We tested in '04" answer. Crap! I have read their magazine for years, but they are out of their friggin' minds not even including a car as competent as this!

It's a great car, I love it as my family wagon - in fact, I wouldn't live without it. However, would I buy the GT sedan? Not in a million years. The RX-8 is far far better to drive. Even a 2 or 3 yr old 3 series would do much better. Of course, if I couldn't have either of those cars and had to choose from the A4, s60, and cars of that ilk, well, I just wouldn't buy any of them, especially the A4, which is about 500 lbs heavier than my 98 1.8T. I'm going to be keeping that until I feel like dropping the cash on the RX-8 or 330 coupe.

kinda off-topic, but since you inferred we couldn't drive......

the lgt sedan whoops the rx-8 all day long, doesn't overestimate its hp, doesn't drink oil, has a useable backseat, has colder a/c, gets better gas mileage, and will likely give greater reliability, so you can stop jocking your "friend's" car

OTOH, the lgt sedan also whoops the a4, s60, 330 coupe, your 98 1.8T (by a long-shot), and edges out your wagon, so there you have it

finally, please drive only in the right lane so that faster-moving lgt sedans may pass you on the left......thank you

the lgt sedan whoops the rx-8 all day long, doesn't overestimate its hp, doesn't drink oil, has a useable backseat, has colder a/c, gets better gas mileage, and will likely give greater reliability, so you can stop jocking your "friend's" car

OTOH, the lgt sedan also whoops the a4, s60, 330 coupe, your 98 1.8T (by a long-shot), and edges out your wagon, so there you have it

finally, please drive only in the right lane so that faster-moving lgt sedans may pass you on the left......thank you

Oh SNAP!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sweet !!! :whore:

I love my car ... basically.

Tantal, i have owned cars that you had the rev the piss out of to get any power and while it is fun at first it just gets plain old and aggravating after a while. I got sick of having to downshift 3 times on the highway just to pass some old fart that was going 45 in the fast lane. Now maybe that sort of powerband would be great on a track it just plain sucks out in normal roads with normal or even semi serious spirited driving. Unless im looking for a track car( Lotus Elise ) i dont think ill even think of getting a high strung 4-banger or rotary again. It just gets old fast and starts to wear on your nerves after a while.

Hey, that's cool.. . what I'm really saying though, is that the handling characteristics are more important than power. I'd take the good handling first if I had to choose. And I don't, btw think the RX-8 is as low on power as peeps seem to think, even keeping the revs below 6000.

To each his own. Cant wait to have my white RX next to my black GT wagon in my garage :icon_bigg

Woot!

I agree with you, compared to the LGT, the RX-8 is definately slow. Apart from speed, the LGT does, I agree still whoop all those other cars you mention, EXCEPT the 330 and the RX-8. No way a good driver thinks the LGT is a better drive than the 3 series or RX-8, or even the G35 coupe, NO way. However, there is a BIG difference between fun to drive and fast in the straight line.

Why are so many people on this board talking about the best way to modify their suspension? Because while the GT has a competant suspension, it simply does not compete with the best sport sedans. Peeps don't modify their 3 series or their RX-8s suspensions unless they are building track/race cars. How many LGT's are in the road racing series?

You can take your attitude with you when you go to the drag strip for giggles. I'll take a fine handling car instead, and use my LGT WAGON for fun family trips.

I agree with you, compared to the LGT, the RX-8 is definately slow. Apart from speed, the LGT does, I agree still whoop all those other cars you mention, EXCEPT the 330 and the RX-8. No way a good driver thinks the LGT is a better drive than the 3 series or RX-8, or even the G35 coupe, NO way. However, there is a BIG difference between fun to drive and fast in the straight line.

Why are so many people on this board talking about the best way to modify their suspension? Because while the GT has a competant suspension, it simply does not compete with the best sport sedans. Peeps don't modify their 3 series or their RX-8s suspensions unless they are building track/race cars. How many LGT's are in the road racing series?

You can take your attitude with you when you go to the drag strip for giggles. I'll take a fine handling car instead, and use my LGT WAGON for fun family trips.

I've never driven an rx-8 or a recent 3 series so I can't comment on those. I did flog a G35 once. LGT has the G35 beat on Handling, Acceleration, and Power Delivery. the G35 felt weaksauce after the intial grunt. The only thing the G35 has on the LGT is not as much body roll... which the roll doesn't affect the LGT's balance once you get used to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only thing the G35 has on the LGT is not as much body roll... which the roll doesn't affect the LGT's balance once you get used to it.

Tell that to the 350Z that stayed in my rear-view mirror on this loop. :icon_twis

P.S. Bone stock 5eater with All-season G009s.

I keed I keeed

I love my LGT, however I am assuming there are many commenting on the Rx-8 who have never owned one. Powerwise the LGT spanks it hands down. However, handling wise stock vs. stock, the LGT comes no where close to the Rx-8 (not even the great Spec B). If there is one thing that Mazda has done consistently from one generation to the next is exceptional handling. It's a matter of having a lighter car, that is 50/50 balanced.

There are downsides to the 8 yes, but don't talk about handling and state the LGT comes anywhere close, thats just biased opinion.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Archived