LegacyGT.com

^ They don't want their cars to run forever. They want you back in the show room which is why they don't want to change the tranny filter or flush with all new ATF.

Getting the tranny filter changed up on my J30 wasn't all that expensive and that undersized unit infamous for early failures was running perfectly when I traded it in for the Spec. at 185k.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my 60K service done yesterday on my OBXT, when it was in for the cooling fan thing... $519.58

They did:

-Spark Plugs (Platnums are expensive)

-Oil Change

-Brake Flush

-Diffs (Front & back)

-more fluids

-did some anti-rust crap to the underside of the car

-de greesed the engine (?)

and... some other little stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

So... I finally got my 30k service today! As you'll recall from the previous page, 'my' dealership quoted me a ridiculous $750 for the service. So I checked with the next closest dealership, and their quote was for $500, including $35 for an OBi rental for the day. The final bill was actually just $464, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Included was all the usual stuff: oil/filter, air filter, coolant flush, brake fluid flush, trans/diff fluid replacement, and all the inspections. As part of the inspections, they decided that BOTH my RH wheel bearings were bad (!), and went ahead and replaced them under warranty. And then because this now involved a 'warranty claim', they went ahead and billed the $35 rental fee to SoA instead of me. Pretty damn cool, and to top it off they include a couple of rebate forms for the fluids with my receipt, so I'll get another $13 back eventually. It was very nice that a major service bill ended up coming out less than the estimate, with more stuff done! Three cheers for Hodges Subaru in Ferdale, MI!

Moral of the story: shop around to various dealers in your area! Both of these dealerships are within 5 miles of me and the one was nearly $300 cheaper than the other.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

^ Changing up your tranny filter at 30k is the best thing you AT onwers could ever do for your car. It all about unimpeded ATF flow for lubrication and HEAT DISSIPATION. Heat is the number one enemy of ATs. Heat is the enemy of all our cars' drive train.

I just got my 30K service. The car had just over 35K miles on it. Also had to replace brake pads and rotors at all four corners. (Wife drives all stop and go, barely any highway)

It was done by an independent shop right next to my work. They use all Subaru parts and charge me MSRP for the parts. Final cost...$1400!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yikes! My brake inspection at 37k miles indicated that I still have 80% of the pads up front, and 90% rear, although I do NOT have any stop/go commuting. And historically I've always been easy on my brakes.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• 2 weeks later...
SOA maintenance schedule lists inspection, not replacement of differential and manual transmission lubricants at 30,000 mile service. Should I ask to have these done? What would be a reasonable upcharge for that work?

Just got my 30k service at Santa Monica Subaru for $449+tax =$454

They took off $20 because i've done tire rotation not too long ago, and they did not have to rotate my tires.

Also i have 31k when i went in for service, f/r brakes are down to 5%, was 35% 4k miles ago when i got my oil change

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

• 2 weeks later...

30,000 (done at 32,000) mile service at Patrick Subaru in Shrewsbury, MA. $386.37. This included Mobil 1 Extended Service 5W-30, a small credit for not having to rotate my new snow tires, and a 10% off coupon. Brakes are at 8mm front, 5 mm rear; not sure what new thickness is. Two warranty issues came up, one a defect in the interior rear passenger side door panel and the other a cruise control that occasionally quits on its own. They are replacing the door panel and a neutral safety switch, scheduled for next week, with a loaner car.

Patrick has received some bad reviews in the past, but they treated me very well. There was some talk about "synthetic oil is not approved by Subaru of America" but that faded away.

I'm the second owner of this car; both of us bought it from Patrick. I think that helps in their taking some pride in "their car." Even though they would have washed it, I brought it in washed and with cleaned interior. I think you get better service if you show that you take care of the car.

You guys are paying tons of $$$.

i had 40Kmiles right now.

All I do is go to the Walmart and have them change the Mobile 1 and good filter I got it from internet plus tire rotation&balance(8$ per tire??).

Except for the radiator flush, I can get it done under 200$ (included tax and materials)

For the brake system, I think I still have more than 50% both fron & rear though my EBC red stuff and blue have been waiting in my storage room for quite a while.

Panson@Houston

Archived