LegacyGT.com

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a quote from my local dealership, Duteau Subaru. He said these will be serviced:

-transmission fluid

-fuel filter

-coolant

-brake fluid

-perform injection system cleaning

Grand total of $480. No freakin' way. I got my boys, good mechanics, took my older cars to them and they do a great job. I'm waiting for a quote back, they said they definitely can use the same fluids and parts that Subaru does.

Yeah no shit, huh.

I called "my boys", for 30 bucks cheaper they will include a differential fluid change as well. I asked why they'd do that and he said according to what he found, that's what the manufacturer recommends. Alright, I'll go along. I made sure to tell him to use exactly what a Subie stealer would, so if I do have tranny/drivetrain trouble they won't deny warranty claim due to the fact I didn't have this service done at a dealership. Is that a good idea or should I just say screw it and look to some high-end tranny fluid and such? I think the basics will do just fine.

I asked about the transmission filter. The mechanic told me he's been rebuilding trannies for 15 years now and has seen just one that went bad because of a clogged filter. He said I'm better off saving the money for now and maybe look into doing it when the next tranny flush service comes due. I agree with him.

Here's a kicker. For some reason, he said that he found the manufacturer actually recommends the diff fluid changed every 15k miles?!? Does that make sense? Sure as hell sounds often to me.

So I'm going to go ahead with the replacement of the transmission fluid, differentials, hold off on the gas filter then, brake fluid and do an injection treatment. That sound good? Missing anything?

^ Just so you know that there are other points of view on tranny filter replacement, the NICO site I used to frequent were big on tranny filter replacement. The anedotal evidence is hard to dispute. Those cars that had filter replacements as part of preventative maintenance were still functioning 150k - 200+k with the original transmissions. Those that didn't saw transmission failure often by 60k especially if the car was operated in hot climates. They were also big on transmission coolers and syn ATF. Now, Subie doesn't seem to have nearly the same tendency for premature tranny failure as the older Infinitis but filter replacement to improve fluid flow will benefit performance and longevity.

Here's a kicker. For some reason, he said that he found the manufacturer actually recommends the diff fluid changed every 15k miles?!? Does that make sense? Sure as hell sounds often to me.

Subaru's severe duty maintenance schedule does recommend this. Please see your manual to see if you fit into this category. Severe Duty just basically means that you see some type of extreme, be it dust, extreme cold or heat, frequent autox/track days, etc.

Please see the guide to the 30k service for more discussion: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34835&highlight=guide+service

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

I'll take a picture of my recipt for $304 if you guys wanna print it out as evidence your getting ripped off. Maybe the dealer will work with you then.

i dont think dealers will really PM each other

I'll take a picture of my recipt for $304 if you guys wanna print it out as evidence your getting ripped off. Maybe the dealer will work with you then.

It is itemized, yes? I'd like so see it, because Liberty Subaru just quoted me $450.

Had this done at the shop I trust:

Tranny fluid and filter

Brake fluid

Differential fluid

Complete fuel injection treatment

In-cabin air-filter

Grand total: $454

FYI, 34k miles and the cabin filter was NASTY. I encourage everyone to have this serviced as well.

I just had the 30k service done at my subaru dealer. They charged me $350 for everything that they did. I thought the cost would be more than it was from the way people were talking on the forums.

Daniel

What was done, specifically?

Im close to 31k miles, what do we really need todo, or if at all for some basic douching(wouldn't a cheaper 3rd party certified garage count.) You would also have some choices or knowledge on better fluids and what not. Than having to use the basic run of the mill oem stuff. I just had my oil changed at pepboys had some royal purple put in.

Archived