LegacyGT.com

Need a new commuter car: Need advice

Here is some backstory information. I drive roughly 85 miles total to and from work every day. I currently drive a 93' MR2 (non-turbo) for my daily beater. She is getting old and the miles are starting to get high (170K). I may have someone interested in buying the MR2 for about 2K - they plan on dropping a 6 cly. into it and modding the hell out of it.

So I should have about 2K to put towards a new(er) car. I was going to try and stay below 18K so I can pay it off sooner (so I can buy a 08' LGT STI - haha). I also would like to have something that can haul me and my wife's bikes, stuff for the house, beach trips, etc. Need something decent on gas. Wife now loves subies (thanks to my LGT) and she likes the idea of another subaru. :icon_bigg

Anyway - here were some thoughts:

1. used Forrester (non-turbo)

2. used Impreza wagon (non-turbo)

3. used Baja (non-turbo)

4. used/new Toyota Matrix (13-16K)

5. Honda Fit/Toyota Yaris/Nissan Cube/Scion xA, etc...

Anyways - I trust your opinion. Anyone have some ideas? Anyone drive a Forrester/Impreza to and from work - how is the MPG? etc....

i'd say forester if you want the covered cargo space. If hauling things, and all else being equal, why not get the forester over the impreza wagon... more space, same drivetrain.

Baja is probably a screaming deal right now. With a bed cover it probably would do ok...

I don't know about the Matrix/Vibe thing...

Honda Element probably holds some stuff. I am not sure about it's fuel economy with such a brick-like profile... but it is marketed for just what you are looking to use it for. Just saw a new one that was silver painted with blue-cast-plastic body parts. Verrry intereschtingk...

Yeah I am not a huge fan of the Matrix either. I guess I don't really need AWD (live in MD) but it would be an added bonus. We make a lot of road trips to Pittsburgh and NJ. Most of my driving would be up and down good old 270 towards DC with some side trips, etc. I am thinking a used manual Forrester, esp if it does get the advertised 29 MPG on the highway - not too bad.

How about some other options, like a Honda CRV? I know Forester is an awesome car, ugly though, but aweesome and very reliable, however if you don't need an AWD system, save yourself some bucks and some MPG...

How about an used Escape or any Suzuki small suvs as well???

Just ideas....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

How about a Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback? You'll get Honda reliability for a fraction of the price. ;)

I'm a moderator at www.elantraxd.com. You can check out the car of the month gallery to see a quick glimpse of what some people have done to their Elantras. It makes a good commuter car and it can be fun if you upgrade the rear sway bar to the '03 Tiburon 19mm rear sway bar. And then upgrade the wheels & tires. :)

For a daily commuter with some cargo flexibility I would think you would want something reliable that gets good mileage. The Matrix/Vibe would fit your needs and price range very easily. They are decent cars- fairly comfortable and get good mileage with the base engine. They have a surprising amount of room inside especially if you fold the seats. And they are based on the Corolla so are very reliable.

You can probably get a new one for around 15K, especially if you don't need an auto.

tom :)

Beanboy - the LGT is my weekend, weeknight, roadtrip, autoX FUN car. With the price of gas in MD, and the way 270 beats up cars, I try to avoid taking the LGT down 270 during rush hour. She has a little ding on the rear passenger door due to good old 270.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think the weather should be nice this weekend - time to go have some fun and test drive some cars. :icon_bigg

crv or forrester
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Why not an older gen Legacy wagon or Outback?

There you go!!!

The older gen Legacies or Outbacks, their 2.2L engine is bulletproof, there is one guy at my work, who has put 330K miles on his 95 Legacy Wagon Brighton, and when I got mine he was like, you will get there one day!!! hehehehehe

His car, once you ride on it, you will think it has 50K miles instead of 6 times that!!!!

Good luck,

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

How did you get a ding in your door on I-270? My car has plenty of paint chips on the hood from rocks thrown by semis, but in over six years of driving MD->VA (270,beltway,267) and back I have never gotten any dings. Then again, my Saturn has polymer panels that don't ding easily.

Anyway, I believe Sharrett in Hagerstown had a slightly used white TS wagon listed on their site recently. And Fitzgerald seems to have a bunch of used Foresters in stock. A somebody suggested, an older used Legacy/Outback wagon is also a good choice, although if you don't need the AWD the Matrix/Vibe might be a better choice. My father-in-law bought a Vibe last year during the "Employee Pricing" promotion and seems to be pleased with it so far. Also, the parts under the hood seem to be pretty much all Toyota parts (due to it being a twin to the Matrix), so it's probably the most reliable small car GM sells.

Suggestions:

-used Civic HX (hi-mileage offering from Honda)

-new Civic Coupe (will bikes fit? dunno)

-CRV (CR loves 'em)

-Scion Tc (lots of style)

-Scion Xb (hauls stuff, stylish)

-Mazda 5

AWDFan - Yeah - sad story about the ding. I was in the HVO lane cruising right along, when all of a sudden I see a flash out of the corner of my eye, and something white comes up and hits the passenger rear door. It sounded like a baseball hit it. It looks like a car next to me kicked up a small rock that skipped twice (scratching the paint twice) and then put a nice dimple in the door. So I need to that fixed this spring. Everytime I see the ding it drives me crazy. :(

BlkLegGT - nice suggestions. I might try to find an older Civic - maybe the previous SI hatchback. I like the Matrix/Vibe - wife thinks they are ugly. She wants the Forester. She tells me she wants to be the cool "soccer" mom (when we have kids) that shows up in rugid Subaru.. haha. I think I created a monster. :lol:

Ah, that ding story sounds like one my wife had. Her car still has a few scratches in the clear coat just below the driver's side mirror from a rock thrown by a passing car on 355. You two must have the same luck.

One other note: your post implies that you do not currently have kids but are possibly expecting to have some in the future. That being the case, I have one word of advice for you: get the car(s) you want now. We have a 3-month old son (our first), and the loss of the second income means we're now pretty well locked into our current cars. Unfortunately, mine has 114k miles and climbing, while hers is turning out to be rather unreliable (at only 50k). Before we would have just bought a new car, but now it's hard justifying that when it's still cheaper to keep the current cars running. I was looking at getting a LGT, but I don't see that in the cards for the foreseeable future.

We are probably about 2-3 years out from having a kid. So we have a little time - but you are right, we will not be able to afford a new car every 2-3 years (like we can now) once the kid comes. AWDFan - sounds like you need a nice used LGT. Sucks that your wife's care is so unreliable, esp. at 50k miles. Maybe if (BIG if) a LGT STI comes or a nice 07 Spec B makes we want to trade up - I could sell you a used 05 LGT. :icon_bigg

If you're considering the Honda Civics, you may want to look at the Mazda 3 wagons/hatchback as well. They get good gas mileage and are fairly reliable but don't have the premium price that the Hondas and Toyotas have.

I'll second the Mazda 3 as well. That's the one I've been eyeing up as a possible replacement commuter car myself. With competition like the Mazda 3 and new Civic, Subaru really has a challenge on their hands to make the low end of the Impreza line seem more competitive.

Archived