LegacyGT.com

Sitting on the fence. Stage 2 people chime in

X2Board

I am due to trade my stage 2 STI today for a Limited GT Wagon, but after driving the STI all weekend I'm having second thoughts.... For those of you that have taken your wagons to stage 2 and beyond, plus/or suspension mods to tighten up the handling, how would you compare the feel of your car to a stock STI? (assuming you have driven one)

As I see it:

Pros:

Interior Room

Comfortable heated seats for long distance driving

Cargo Capacity

Huge Sunroof

Basically the same engine as the STI

Ability to fly below the visual radar of most police officers

Cons:

Handling - $ fixable

5MT - is the STI's tranny a bolt in?

Less base HP/torque - $ fixable

No DCCD - not fixable-

Feel free to add to either list and give me you feedback. I have 6 hours to make up my mind.

Thanks,

Marlon

Sounds like you would be in the market for an 07 Spec B wagon. But I don't think it will exist. Sedan only, more likely.

The 07 Spec B is getting th 6MT that is closely related, possibly the same as the STI, with the bilstein suspension... See the Subaru News and Rumors forum...

But this is all information that will not help you much today... And right now, unless you've found an '05, you can't even get a manual transmission AT ALL with the Legacy GT wagon.

But Since you are ready to go now, I'd say it is ultimately up to you.

In your info it shows that you already have a 5MT wagon, as well as the STI... Are you thinking of getting another wagon?

After owning an STi and now my stg 2 GT wagon,,your comparing different animals.If you like the STi stick with it its a ballsy car,if you want more refinement and an automatic go with the GT.

Like Rob said do a search,,lotsa stuff there

Welcome to the site.

Yes the STI 6MT would bolt in but why would you want to add it? The 5MT in the GT is perfectly setup for the car and unless you like rowing the stick (which is not a bad thing), the STI 6MT would not add anything to the LGT except possibly a few more mph on the top end.

You'd also have to deal with either neutering the DCCD or cracking the case and replacing the center diff with the LGT LSCD as adding the electronics to support the DCCD would be a PITA imho.

There are many wagons on here that are at or above the STIs stock power levels and as others have indicated, search is your friend.

And, it seems you're looking at a 5MT 2005 LGT Wagon. Are you buying new or used?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I also thought about buying an STi, coming from a modded S4, I really wanted something fast, but yet bearable on Boston roads (which are very crappy), and plus from a Legacy standpoint, after some minor suspension and power mods/pro-tune, you can get very close to an STi Stage II performance putting 300+ AWHP!!!!

Good luck with your comparison!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

In your info it shows that you already have a 5MT wagon, as well as the STI... Are you thinking of getting another wagon?

Yes, I already have a 5MT wagon and found a great deal on another. I've been searching and reading everything on here and I'm going to go for it. Thanks for all the feedback.

Welcome to the site.

Yes the STI 6MT would bolt in but why would you want to add it? The 5MT in the GT is perfectly setup for the car and unless you like rowing the stick (which is not a bad thing), the STI 6MT would not add anything to the LGT except possibly a few more mph on the top end.

You'd also have to deal with either neutering the DCCD or cracking the case and replacing the center diff with the LGT LSCD as adding the electronics to support the DCCD would be a PITA imho.

There are many wagons on here that are at or above the STIs stock power levels and as others have indicated, search is your friend.

And, it seems you're looking at a 5MT 2005 LGT Wagon. Are you buying new or used?

SBT

I'm buying new, I asked about the 6MT because when cruising at 80 it just seems like the engine could be a bit more relaxed, I'll get used to it over time.

With the LGT, I feel that part of the good thing in having the 5MT was that not only do we hit that magical 60 mph. with one less gear to row ( may be different in a STi/STI that has had its limiter bumped-up by aftermarket EM...sorry, but I'm ignorant on this bit of info! :) ) - and that the second good bit is that, especially at typical "Stage II" power levels/tune, the engine is flexible enough to give you good highway passing performance, even in 5th-gear.

Certainly, you're seeing a good healthy bit of revs, crusing at that speed - and that can grate on one's nerves a bit until they're more accustomed to it - but it's right in our powerband, and quite nice to have "right there" when needed. ;)

Power-wise, you'll definitely need to spend more than the average to get your LGT up to the performance level of your "Stage II" STi. For-reference, typical ProTUNE'ed or ECUTek'ed (or other *custom*-mapped aftermarket EM) "Stage II" (i.e. UP and minimum shorty DP combo, plus aforementioned custom EM reflash or piggy-back) for LGTs will net you just above *_stock_* STi/STI power levels (there have been many dyno plots/graphs that show this). However, still, the performance you seek should be attainable with a switch-out to a larger snail, and still attainable without breaking the bank. :) It'll just take a bit more dough than us "Stage II LGT" guys have put out, that's all.

As for suspension and handling, I'll defer this to our other LGT brothers and sisters. I don't feel that I have enough experience in this respect in order to properly help you...but nonetheless, please know that many here have gotten their LGTs to handle exceedingly well, much to belie the vehicle's 3K+ lbs. curb-weight.

:D Best of luck!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Swapping in the STi transmission requires custom made axles.

On the Legacy 5th gear ratio is .738 and the final drive ratio is 4.111

On the STI 6th gear ratio is .756 and the final drive ratio is 3.900

The difference in geraing is 3%, which is not enough to even notice, let alone to spend the thousands to do the swap.

Swapping in the STi transmission requires custom made axles.

On the Legacy 5th gear ratio is .738 and the final drive ratio is 4.111

On the STI 6th gear ratio is .756 and the final drive ratio is 3.900

The difference in geraing is 3%, which is not enough to even notice, let alone to spend the thousands to do the swap.

I agree but,,,the sixspeed will handle a good bit more hp and abuse before it goes bang.

and to appreciate the STi sixspeed you really have to drive it fr awhile,,the combination of all that torque plus the gearing make it a pleasure to drive for almost anyone. IMHO

With that said, doing the sixspeed swap is very impractical.

I agree but,,,the sixspeed will handle a good bit more hp and abuse before it goes bang.

and to appreciate the STi sixspeed you really have to drive it fr awhile,,the combination of all that torque plus the gearing make it a pleasure to drive for almost anyone. IMHO

With that said, doing the sixspeed swap is very impractical.

I have driven STis extensively and their tranny is no big deal, unless you like to shift all of the time.

I'd love to hear about any Legacy, Foreser XT or new 06 Impreza that had tranny problems due to high power (not bending shifter forks).

I have driven STis extensively and their tranny is no big deal, unless you like to shift all of the time.

I'd love to hear about any Legacy, Foreser XT or new 06 Impreza that had tranny problems due to high power (not bending shifter forks).

How do you bend shifter forks?

I will definitely miss my Brembo's, but that's what the aftermarket is for.

T- 3:00 and counting.

Don't miss them too long....they are but a two hour install away:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/brembos.jpg

IBRaosaystheywon'tstopyouanybetter!

I disagree,,I owned one and have driven many sticks in the past to compare it to.It's a proven fact that the STi tranny will take a hell of alot more abuse(not just hp and launching) then previous Subaru trannies,,open one up and youl see.And yea Subaru has recently made the 5 speeds stronger then the glass 5 speeds of previous years.

Your argument of shifting alot doesnt work fr me either,,with the torque and hp you will actually shift less at low to moderate speeds,you can lug the STi to death in 2nd ,3rd or 4th gear.Up top from about 90 mph on up or at the track you may have one more shift:icon_twis

We can agree to disagree but the STi sixspeed compared to my previous WRX 5 speed was like night and day.

We can agree to disagree but the STi sixspeed compared to my previous WRX 5 speed was like night and day.

The fact that all of the internal components of the STI 6MT are pressure lubricated by a shaft driven pump, speaks volumes about its engineered ability to withstand high torque loads compared to the previous gen WRX 5MT tranny.

Again, we agree to disagree on the shifting aspect. I'l shift 2 times on my way to 60 mph in the LGT. The STI will shift three times. Just the nature of the gearing. From there on up it's a function of both gearing and power but at the top of the heap, the STI will still have a lower final gearing than the LGT and therefore more topend before the LGTs stock redline. 2.95 STI and 3.04 LGT.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I disagree,,I owned one and have driven many sticks in the past to compare it to.It's a proven fact that the STi tranny will take a hell of alot more abuse(not just hp and launching) then previous Subaru trannies,,open one up and youl see.And yea Subaru has recently made the 5 speeds stronger then the glass 5 speeds of previous years.

Your argument of shifting alot doesnt work fr me either,,with the torque and hp you will actually shift less at low to moderate speeds,you can lug the STi to death in 2nd ,3rd or 4th gear.Up top from about 90 mph on up or at the track you may have one more shift:icon_twis

We definately disagree and comparing the 05 and earlier WRX transmission to the Legacy GT transmission is comparing apples and oranges.

Archived