LegacyGT.com

whoever said legacies don't crash well is wrong*PICS ADDED*

because i'm fine :lol: i hit a big spot of flowing water on the highway on my way to work this morning and hydroplaned into the guard rail. the car spun about 2.5 times and came to rest accross both lanes of traffic. the entire front end was ripped off the car but i walked away without a scratch...luckily.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad to hear your OK sorry the car didn't fair as well. I believe I read somewhere the 05 did well in the crash test, You could be the first to crash one (in the US). Look at it this way, at least you first at something. I spun my 98 GT in a feburary rain storm on the interstate and lucky for me I ended up in the no mans land between the HVO lane and the left lane in about 14" of wet snow facing across the highway. I looked to my right made sure no one was coming and just gave it about 4 grand and dumped the clutch and pulled back onto the highway. My son was in the back seat rading a book and all he said was, "what was that"... It all happened so fast.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='il collaudatore']Wow... glad you're safe! How fast were you going? Did you have the stock tires? I'm surprised that a Subaru was able to spin out in rain...[/quote] any car can hydroplane. as for spinning out...the guard rail helped with that. it was on stock re-92's and i was flying, between 80 and 90

Ehh, don't feel bad. I crashed my 2001 GT 2wice. Both times the car was on RE92s..and the car lost traction. Good thing was all the damage that was done was cosmetic and i know a awsome body shop. Even better, I payed for the repairs out of pocket.. My insurrance never knew it happend. B4.

irunfromcops, not totalled is it? By the way, this isn't the first crash. The first one I heard of on the forums was actually at my local dealership, Irvine Subaru. Supposedly some guy took out a 5MT Ltd. sedan and didn't listen to a salesperson, took a left too fast and hit the curb, ruining the front right wheel, front axle, and scraping the side of the car a bit. Regardless, it's good that you're okay. Must've been scary. :(
-ben

Dittoing. You're lucky you're alive and there's no more important angle. And, good that your honest about your speed...it should help to alert others that going that speed, despite all the talk here of the importance of speed, is playing with fire. Less reaction time, less control, more likelihood of death, etc. etc. Not to be a mother hen, just saying that your crash could help to show others that going that speed (especialy closer to 90) and being a safe driver...can't preclude the unexpected...such as water, other bad drivers, etc. Did you get a ticket? Do you plan on telling the insurance about the facts?? Just curious. If the damage is under a thousand or so...may be better to eat it. Congrats on being alive.

[url=http://www.mindflayer.net/weblog/000062.html]My old Subie was a '98 GT[/url]. I have a bad back so didn't walk away totally pain-free, but I did walk away. :) Of course, now I am nervous around all these idiot drivers in Northern VA and MD. Put down the cell, stop fiddling with the radio, don't turn around to talk to the backseat passengers, and use your turn signals, damnit! :evil:

[quote name='Mindflayer']<a href="http://www.mindflayer.net/weblog/000062.html">My old Subie was a '98 GT</a>. I have a bad back so didn't walk away totally pain-free, but I did walk away. :) Of course, now I am nervous around all these idiot drivers in Northern VA and MD. Put down the cell, stop fiddling with the radio, don't turn around to talk to the backseat passengers, and use your turn signals, damnit! :evil:[/quote] Try using the "[URL][/URL]" tags. I don't think HTML is enabled here.

[quote name='TAckhouse1'][quote name='Drift Monkey'] DAMN THOSE RE-92s!!!1111[/quote] mabey, mabey not.... drive too fast for conditions is a good way to get into an accident.... flying at 80-90 with moving water on the roadway would qualify...[/quote] Tackhouse is right. Can't scapegoat the RE92s for that one. Things happen, and we walk away from accidents as better, smarter drivers. Kevin

[quote name='SC GT']Glad you came out of it okay. On the bright side, now you have an excuse to try to get the JDM bumper.[/quote] i'm hoping they total it out, it's pretty bad. the rear door didn't line up right so i think i bent the unibody, the front end is mangled from the hoodscoop forward (mangled as in the motor hit the guard rail), the driver's side front wheel was horizontal in the wheel well, driver's side airbag deployed and some other stuff i forget. it might not be enough to total out a brand new 30k car but i can hope. i'd much rather just get a brand new car.

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='TAckhouse1'][quote name='Drift Monkey'] DAMN THOSE RE-92s!!!1111[/quote] mabey, mabey not.... drive too fast for conditions is a good way to get into an accident.... flying at 80-90 with moving water on the roadway would qualify...[/quote] Tackhouse is right. Can't scapegoat the RE92s for that one. Things happen, and we walk away from accidents as better, smarter drivers. Kevin[/quote] I was joking about the RE92 thing. People said the same thing when they wrecked their WRXs...

Archived