LegacyGT.com

whoever said legacies don't crash well is wrong*PICS ADDED*

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='stef']Wow, impressive pics, amazing how wrecked the front is, but it's completely isolated to the front end. Glad you're OK.[/quote] It really is amazing that the cabin doesn't seem effected at all! Same way with my WRX....amazing engineering.

I would say you hit the guard rail while sliding sideways. Is that true? You were lucky. As I said in the post Saturday morning Glad your OK. Great photo's

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

IRFC - Really glad you could open the door and walk away. That was a huge hit, especially on your side - thank God for airbags, bolstered seats and well-engineered crush zones. BTW - This was probably a stage 2 airbag deployment (the fastest/hardest). What do recall about the airbag firing off, if you can remember? Any lessons learned from all of the experience that you'd care to share with the rest of the forum... beyond the obvious don't run fast on standing/running water? Looks like you could add a full front clip and be back on the road again. Wouldn't want to run that engine again without a full tear down though - I can only imagine the damage, internally to the valve train/pistons from the cams being stopped in their whirring when the front end crushed back against the cam belt covers. Yikes! Seriously though, I'm really glad you're okay - your Subie gave its life for you - greater love hath no friend...trust you're back on the road again soon in another good friend. Best regards, SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That car is totaled, looks like lots of front end frame damage. If they can put it together your looking at around 15-20k dollars in damage easy. I am allways amazed after seeing subaru's after an accident. They really do an amazing job at keeping the cabin in near perfect condition. I remember my accident in my WRX, it was so sad seeing the car in pieces. I had about 10k in damage to my car, mainly body work. Good luck with your insurance, hopefully they will put you in a new Legacy GT before you know it.

Absolutely amazing how the cabin stayed in tact. Did you have gap insurance or does your insurance provide you with a brand new car? I can't imagine having that happen let alone with a brand spankin new car.

Ouch, that looks real bad. I'm glad you're ok. This definitely says something about Legacy's safety. I'm wondering, did the side or curtain airbags deploy at all? It looks like a hit to the left front quarter, but the lateral motion must have been enough that you could have hit the side window. I wonder where the side impact sensors are located. Again, glad to hear you walked away from that.

[quote name='irunfromcops']it was on stock re-92's and i was flying, between 80 and 90[/quote] I'm happy to hear that you are safe. It sounds like the GT's airbags and body structure did their job. Unfortunately the same can't be said about the tires! I think they are a major contributing cause. While I love my GT Sedan (had it for 5 days), I've felt a little uncomfortable with the tires. Since my car only has 300 miles so far, I haven't really pushed it. Even so, it doesn't feel locked down sometimes. When the streets are wet (several days this week), they feel a twitchy. So I thought there was something wrong with me or the GT. So after rereading your post and some other posts expressing discontent (to put it mildly) with the RE92's, I started researching the tire. It's amazing, but the RE92 seems like one of the [u]lowest [/u]rated tires available at a one of the [u]highest [/u]prices! They are rated at the bottom of customer surveys. I'm buying the Toyo Proxes 4 this coming week. On 1010Cars.com, they are tied for first place (4.6 out of 5.0 points) and rate very highly in virtually all categories. Even treadwear is 4.5 points. Sube555 has them and seems to like them. The Pirelli PZero Nero M&S are also rated highly (but not as good in the wet) and they cost significantly more than the Toyo's. So it's the Toyo's for me. YMMV. Regards, Dan.

I'got an 02 Leggy, 3 times I have had curb rash cause of the RE92's in the rain(for those of you thinking it happens to me all the time I never had curb rash b4). Replaced them with Proxes 4's and solved the problem. If you do drive a little aggressive at times replace the RE92's or they will scare the hell out of you at some point in time!!!!!!!! It is either pay now for the tires or pay later for an insurance deductible. I hate those tires so much that it would be THE major reason why I would not buy the 05 LGT. I love everything else about the car. Interesting about the RE's is that when they let go there is no way of regainning control of the car :o For a test (and naturally under controlled circumstances) try cornering and then change for a slightly more aggressive apex, they usually let go right there!!!! The only tire I have ever seen doing that except for Q rated tires.

It's funny you mentioned that. I think this exact same thing happened to me on my last test drive. I was taking an onramp at pretty high speed (salesman encouraged me), then I had to do a quick correction, the tires let go, and the car skided. I guess those tires have really got to go. It won't stop me from buying the car though. It just sucks that I have to pay more to get better tires. [quote name='RedSectorA'] Interesting about the RE's is that when they let go there is no way of regainning control of the car :o For a test (and naturally under controlled circumstances) try cornering and then change for a slightly more aggressive apex, they usually let go right there!!!! The only tire I have ever seen doing that except for Q rated tires.[/quote]

[quote name='wzhaoca']It's funny you mentioned that. I think this exact same thing happened to me on my last test drive. I was taking an onramp at pretty high speed (salesman encouraged me), then I had to do a quick correction, the tires let go, and the car skided. I guess those tires have really got to go. It won't stop me from buying the car though. It just sucks that I have to pay more to get better tires. [quote name='RedSectorA'] Interesting about the RE's is that when they let go there is no way of regainning control of the car :o For a test (and naturally under controlled circumstances) try cornering and then change for a slightly more aggressive apex, they usually let go right there!!!! The only tire I have ever seen doing that except for Q rated tires.[/quote][/quote] hehe. That happened to me too.. Blipped the throttle on a wet onramp, salesman had a pretty good grip on the oh-shit bar :p

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='wzhaoca']It's funny you mentioned that. I think this exact same thing happened to me on my last test drive. I was taking an onramp at pretty high speed (salesman encouraged me), then I had to do a quick correction, the tires let go, and the car skided. I guess those tires have really got to go. It won't stop me from buying the car though. It just sucks that I have to pay more to get better tires. [quote name='RedSectorA'] Interesting about the RE's is that when they let go there is no way of regainning control of the car :o For a test (and naturally under controlled circumstances) try cornering and then change for a slightly more aggressive apex, they usually let go right there!!!! The only tire I have ever seen doing that except for Q rated tires.[/quote][/quote] hehe. That happened to me too.. Blipped the throttle on a wet onramp, salesman had a pretty good grip on the oh-shit bar :p[/quote] "Oh shit" bar is seriously the coolest nickname for something on a car. :P
-ben

[quote name='axis008'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='wzhaoca']It's funny you mentioned that. I think this exact same thing happened to me on my last test drive. I was taking an onramp at pretty high speed (salesman encouraged me), then I had to do a quick correction, the tires let go, and the car skided. I guess those tires have really got to go. It won't stop me from buying the car though. It just sucks that I have to pay more to get better tires. [quote name='RedSectorA'] Interesting about the RE's is that when they let go there is no way of regainning control of the car :o For a test (and naturally under controlled circumstances) try cornering and then change for a slightly more aggressive apex, they usually let go right there!!!! The only tire I have ever seen doing that except for Q rated tires.[/quote][/quote] hehe. That happened to me too.. Blipped the throttle on a wet onramp, salesman had a pretty good grip on the oh-shit bar :p[/quote] "Oh shit" bar is seriously the coolest nickname for something on a car. :P[/quote] AKA the Jesus handle. :wink:
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

[quote name='axis008'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='wzhaoca']It's funny you mentioned that. I think this exact same thing happened to me on my last test drive. I was taking an onramp at pretty high speed (salesman encouraged me), then I had to do a quick correction, the tires let go, and the car skided. I guess those tires have really got to go. It won't stop me from buying the car though. It just sucks that I have to pay more to get better tires. [quote name='RedSectorA'] Interesting about the RE's is that when they let go there is no way of regainning control of the car :o For a test (and naturally under controlled circumstances) try cornering and then change for a slightly more aggressive apex, they usually let go right there!!!! The only tire I have ever seen doing that except for Q rated tires.[/quote][/quote] hehe. That happened to me too.. Blipped the throttle on a wet onramp, salesman had a pretty good grip on the oh-shit bar :p[/quote] "Oh shit" bar is seriously the coolest nickname for something on a car. :P[/quote] The 'Oh Shit Bar', is this standard equipment or an option? My cars have the 'Emergency Co-Pilot Fake Brake Pedal' installled. So far it has been well liked by my front seat passengers! :lol:

[quote name='axis008']The "oh shit" bars are the handles on the ceiling of the interior. :P What's this emergency co-pilot fake brake pedal you speak of? Pics! :D[/quote] If you corner hard you will notice front seat passengers (that are nervous about your maneuvering) grab on the ceiling handle and stump both feet hard to the floor, effectively simulating the action of hitting the brakes. I call that the ECPFBP. Don't know why they do it but they just do it! :roll:

[/quote]hehe. That happened to me too.. Blipped the throttle on a wet onramp, salesman had a pretty good grip on the oh-shit bar :p[/quote] My wife and family just refer to it as the "OS" handle. RSA - lol - I'm checking my STI accessory catalog for an 'Emergency Co-Pilot Fake Brake Pedal' - didn't realize I could give my passengers some sense of "control" over vehicle dynamics. 8) SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 12 years later...

Archived