LegacyGT.com

My Legacy GT V8!

I've been doing about 50/50 lately (usually I'm about 75% Highway) and with reving it to red every chance I get (just trying to use fuel on purpose for this time) I ended up getting about 21.5-22 for a full tank. You're getting there, but it really should be higher so keep on pursuing it!!! You're holding in there, just stick to it. Good luck buddy!
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to ask the obvious, but Do you happen to let the car idle a lot?

(Occam's Razor off.)

Not really--on really cold days I will let it warm up for 5 minutes. On my last tank, I figured that might be causing the low fuel efficiency so I stopped doing that and I haven't had any notable improvements.

Well, I've decided to do a little test myself. Halfway through the tank, and the trip computer shoes me at 11.1 MPG city driving / econo mode.

Since the CPU is generally optimistic, I think I've got a potential problem on my hands as well. Will let you know what the actual calcs are when I refuel.

I need to buy a USB adapter before I can datalog and see what's up...

Get on the highways and go on a trip. I bet your mileage will be a lot higher. I average 24 mpg on my commute which is 90% highway speeds.

i'm about 90% highway too... when i fill up an go to work, i'm at like 35 mpg.. then i hit the city for a few miles, drops to 20.. then i lose all confidence and i just drive like a maniac until the next fill haha

I've been doing about 50/50 lately and with reving it to red every chance I get (just trying to use fuel on purpose for this time) I ended up getting about 21.5-22 for a full tank. quote]

that's impossible... every time i drive like a jerk, i end up at 17-18, sometimes even less! and i'm almost all highway

first off its Limited not unlimted. I notced your car is auto, ur in drive right? Not holding lower gears with the sport shift? Drive in the highest gear possible or in ur case "D" avoid using the a/c. Now I know its winter but when the front defrost is on the a/c compressor is on also unless turned off manually. Check your car for extra weight, trunk, back seat, ect, stuff you dont need to take with you all the time. Always put 91+ octan, you car will love you for it. 55-60mph is best for gas milage. fast stops, stop and go, and heating up a car is not good for mpg. Use cruise control when on the highway. What kind of car are you coming out of, I had an 02 Maxima before my GT and the Maxima got similar gas milage but it had a tank like 4 gallons bigger so it seemed like I was getting better mpg with the Maxima.

I do a good deal of highway driving but around town I do tend to stomp on the gas. I'v been getting 22.4ish mpg since day 1

Never use the trip computer as a way to see how much you're getting. Let me take a picture of mine and show you why. I've seen it go from nil to 99.9MPG. But I know mine is a bit wacky but you can see how unreliable it is.

Use the simple math about how much you're filling up and how many miles you've driven, it's more accurate that way. I am getting 17.5MPH on sport mode and I would say I floor it a bit much and the traffic doesn't help either so during the rush hour I put it on normal mode and no traffic sport mode.

• 2 weeks later...
first off its Limited not unlimted. I notced your car is auto, ur in drive right? Not holding lower gears with the sport shift? Drive in the highest gear possible or in ur case "D" avoid using the a/c. Now I know its winter but when the front defrost is on the a/c compressor is on also unless turned off manually. Check your car for extra weight, trunk, back seat, ect, stuff you dont need to take with you all the time. Always put 91+ octan, you car will love you for it. 55-60mph is best for gas milage. fast stops, stop and go, and heating up a car is not good for mpg. Use cruise control when on the highway. What kind of car are you coming out of, I had an 02 Maxima before my GT and the Maxima got similar gas milage but it had a tank like 4 gallons bigger so it seemed like I was getting better mpg with the Maxima.

I do a good deal of highway driving but around town I do tend to stomp on the gas. I'v been getting 22.4ish mpg since day 1

My Legacy is not Limited, but calling it "unlimited" is more fun than calling it "not limited." Sorry if that irritates you!

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I don't drive in sport mode very often at all (usually only in the snow). I don't have any extra weight, unless a couple of pairs of sneakers in the trunk counts. I'm coming from SUVs that received similar mileage, thus my irritation with the poor fuel economy (from a 4-cylinder engine).

Big update. Here are the numbers.

After a lot of back and forth with Subaru of America and the dealer, the dealership ran a fuel consumption test with 50% highway and 50% city driving. (50 miles, measured by the books, not with the trip computer)

Fuel Mileage: 16.81 Average MPG

Air Fuel Correction: 0.8%

Air Fuel Learn: 1-2%

Tires: Proper Pressure

My Numbers:

-1/23/06

Mobile Super + (93 Octane) 15.008 gallons

174.7 miles driven, 30 left on the tank = 204.7 miles.

Assuming I used 15 gallons of gas, that gives me = 13.6 mpg. (all city)

-02/01/06

Mobile Super + (93 Octane) 14.471 gallons

243 miles driven, 50 left in the tank = 293 miles.

Assuming I used 15 gallons of gas, that gives me = 20.93 mpg (mostly highway)

-02/04/06

Marathon Premium (91, I believe) 13.307 gallons

263.4 miles total (180 miles highway)

Assuming I used 13.307 gallons of gas, that gives me = 19.8mpg (mostly highway)

-02/10/06

Speedway Premium (92 Octane) 15.033 gallons

86 miles driven, 160 left in the tank (submitted for fuel consumption test)

Total miles = 246, assuming 15 gallons of gas = 16.4 mpg (mostly city)

-02/17/06

Speedway Premium (92 Octane) 6.533 gallons

238 miles driven, 60 left in the tank = 298 miles.

Assuming I used 15 gallons of gas, that gives me = 19.86mpg (nearly all highway)

The dealership made a note on my service summary that reads, "No problems found at this time. Due to the wintery conditions and temperatures, the vehicle will not reach the EPA rating of 19MPG in the city and 25MPG on the highway". By wintery conditions, they mean it's snowed here about twice all winter. And by temperatures, they mean between 25-40 degrees.

The service manager called me a few days later and admitted that something might be wrong so he referred me to the Subaru factory rep, but he said it might be a month and a half before anyone gets back to me. He suggested going to a Shell gas station for a few tanks to see if anything changes.

I called on Thursday to check on the status of the factory rep and I was told that he attributed the poor mileage to "individual driving conditions" and the "turbocharger in the car". Thus, Subaru is back to assuming that I floor it from light to light. However, it's interesting that the dealership did just as poorly (if not worse) than me during a "controlled" fuel consumption test.

I made it clear to Subaru that I'm tired of having my driving style insulted and that I want a real reply and real action. I suggested (as someone in this thread mentioned) that they swap my car with a similar vehicle and see if there is a difference but no one is ready to go for that yet.

I'll keep pursuing it but thanks for all of the advice thus far.

I know this is frustrating but hopefully everything will work out.

I have a different issue but I'm getting similar treatment. It's been at least a couple of months since SoA was reminded of my case and still nothing. My service manager doesn't have an answer for me. It's like they're ignoring him or something, and that pisses me off.

I'm part of the South East region and I know SoA's District Tech Rep recently(1-2 months) changed to another person with an even wider area of responsiblity, but the transition process is taking too fooking long.

I think the techline depends on a magic 8-ball to interpret what the service manager relays to them and what their fracking answer is.

Subaru is not ready for mainstream customers at all.

I keed I keeed

Mango,

Try resetting your computer by diconnecting the battery and leaving it disconnected over night. Then fill up with some good 93 octane. And try starting over. Your computer may have gotten confused or learned some bad habits. For your records though I get about 22 mpg average, commuting driving normally, but even driving aggressively only costs me about 1 - 2 mpg.

Mango,

Try resetting your computer by diconnecting the battery and leaving it disconnected over night. Then fill up with some good 93 octane. And try starting over. Your computer may have gotten confused or learned some bad habits. For your records though I get about 22 mpg average, commuting driving normally, but even driving aggressively only costs me about 1 - 2 mpg.

I think he already tried that...

Damn sorry to hear that you still have the problem :(

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Mango,

Thanks for the tip. Brady suggested that a while ago. I tried it and it bumped me up from 13.6 to 16.4mpg or something like that. An improvement, but still nowhere near where I should be.

In addition to the fact that I'm concerned that something is wrong with my car, it hurts that I'm paying 50% more for fuel than I should be. I've been saving all of my receipts so Subaru can reimburse me when they decide that there is a problem. :icon_bigg

The mileage the dealer got on their controlled test at 50/50 is pretty appalling! You know they must have been trying to get good mileage during that test too. I don't know how they can say that is acceptable. Have them do the same trip in another LGT and see what they get.

My commute is maybe 50/50, if anything more city than highway, and I never get less than 20mpg, even with winter, even with a few excursions to 6000+ almost every trip.

The mileage the dealer got on their controlled test at 50/50 is pretty appalling! You know they must have been trying to get good mileage during that test too. I don't know how they can say that is acceptable. Have them do the same trip in another LGT and see what they get.

Great suggestion. I'm supposed to get a call from the service manager tomorrow who will hopefuly give me the direct number to the factory rep. The customer relations person at the dealership tried on Friday but the rep, Scott, denied it on the basis that he thinks this is due to my driving style.

I'm going to force them to do some sort of comparative test, it's the only way to tell if it's really wintery conditions or if its my car. I'd like to sit in on it, because as you suggested, they're going to try to beat the piss out of the car to lower the fuel mileage. (Just as they drove my car reallllly lightly so they could boost it)

By the way, the guy who drove my car around decided to have a snack. I found his candy bar wrapper in my front seat when I picked my car up!

My mileage has dropped, but I've been improving my driving to counteract it. I'm fluctuating between 17 and high 18s right now when it gets really cold. After a couple minutes of warm up I'm on the go but I take it easy. Unfortunately I have to do several short trips during the day and each time the car is dead cold because it's been a number of hours.

Even if I drive a little aggressively I can't get it to go much under 17 in the dead of winter.

My averages are all calculated via excel from my gas receipts, not the computer. It [the car computer] typically tells me I'm in the mid to high 18s unless I'm really babying it. I could have had over 20mpg on one tank before temps really dropped and I got caught in a lot of very slow traffic :mad:

Archived