LegacyGT.com

My Legacy GT V8!

I have a 5eat. I get between 19 and 23, on CA 91. The best was 24mpg once. Every time I fill up I say Im going to take it easy but sure enough a day later Im dropping the hammer getting on the freeway:)

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 5eat. I get between 19 and 23, on CA 91. The best was 24mpg once. Every time I fill up I say Im going to take it easy but sure enough a day later Im dropping the hammer getting on the freeway:)

So I think most of us agree:

16-20mpg is low, even for this car.

And as for Voyetra, I think he forgot to disengage his handbrake...

I've been getting horrible mileage in the STi this winter too, averaging 13 to 15 mpg. But I have a lot of short trips, and when I get time to actually drive somewhere, I usually don't baby it, if you know what I mean. But I figured I'd let you know you're not alone.

I have a lot of short trips, as well. But that doesn't account for my 20mpg highway trips recently, especially when I was getting 24mpg highway in December and 28mpg highway in August.

I've seriously found that driving my LGT hard improves the gas mileage (compared to babying it).

What are the EPA numbers for the STi?

These last two-three tankfulls I've dropped unexplicably into the 19.5 computed average MPG around town, down from the typical 22-23 mpg I had been getting, with absolutely no change in driving habits. I think the crappy CA 91 Winter gas (oxygenated) is finally taking a toll on the system.

But, soon enough we should be back to just crappy CA 91 gas so hopefully, I'll see an improvement.

One thing I have realized is if you keep the engine at or below ~3200, you stay mostly out of boost and riched-up fueling which as we all know, dings the mileage. I know, where's the fun in that but when you're refueling the stable you have to make some concessions to economy (abeit however so slight) :)

All else being equal too, with the cooler, much damper weather we should see a slight up-tick in the mileage. But, as always...YMMV.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Not for nothing but did you personaly check the air cleaner? If it got wet at some point it might resrict air flow. And I don't think this would throw a cel.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI

This is one of the cleanest yet gutsiest engines you can buy. It gets an honest 30mpg in the city and at least 40mpg on the highway. And it hauls the zaftig Passat wagon, which we tested, from 0-60mph in under ten seconds. Most important, though, it’s a real hoot to drive. It goes like a 200hp gasoline engine but still gets great mileage.

On the Road

The most significant thing about the 2005 Passat is its new 2.0L 4-cylinder turbodiesel, which develops 134hp and 247 lb-ft of torque. It's an astonishingly low cost option in the GL and GLS models. When you factor in the 5-speed Tiptronic automatic (standard on the TDI, optional with the Passat's standard 1.8 liter turbocharged gasoline engine), the TDI costs just $215 more. For most drivers, the payback can be measured in weeks--you could save 50% on fuel for as long as you own the car. Equally important, you’ll go twice as far on a tank of diesel as you will on a tank of regular gas; 600+ miles between fill ups is not unusual. The 2.0L TDI is the first 16-valve diesel engine VW has made. In the Passat, its performance in virtually all speed ranges is superior to the 180hp 1.8T gas engine. Acceleration from a dead stop under full power is adequate but not sparkling; where this diesel shines is above about 25mph. From that speed until you run out of road, it’ll whup the 1.8T and probably keep up with the VR6. The downside? Actually, there are two: You’ll notice a bit of diesel clatter at idle (but absolutely none as soon as you’re moving) and, you’ll have to keep track of the location of filling stations that sell diesel.

Is this sarcasm, or one of those new VW commercials? :lol:

Sarcasm, but true. While not very fast 40+MPG is nothing to :lol: at as long as your not in a hurry to get there.:icon_bigg Plus you can still put one of those "Turbo inside" stickers on and not be lying.:icon_lol:

edit:

Oh yea TDi s are mod friendly see... http://www.tdiclub.com/ those guys are almost worse then http://legacygt.com/ .

My final 2 cents. Just because the "computer" says everything is ok means nothing. If a sensoold El Camr is bad it can send to the computer that its working fine. Go the Lemon Law route, I'll bet that intensive diagnostic tests will find the problem. It just takes more work than just connecting up the "ole computer"

I had an experience with my El Camino that cost 4000 dollars before a 5.00 part fixed the problem.And they kept telling me there was no problem with the computer!

Wiser and poorer

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

My final 2 cents. Just because the "computer" says everything is ok means nothing. If a sensoold El Camr is bad it can send to the computer that its working fine. Go the Lemon Law route, I'll bet that intensive diagnostic tests will find the problem. It just takes more work than just connecting up the "ole computer"

I had an experience with my El Camino that cost 4000 dollars before a 5.00 part fixed the problem.And they kept telling me there was no problem with the computer!

Wiser and poorer

Thanks for the support. I was supposed to receive a phone call from a higher-up at Subaru of America today, but of course, nothing. Then I called SoA and one of the bottom-feeding CSRs told me that the senior-rep was "working with a factory-rep" and someone would get in touch with me soon.

Lemon Law, here I come.

According to the Illinois Lemon Law, 4 attempts of repair need to made on the vehicle. I've already visited the dealership 3 documented times, so should I just stop by and ask about the same problem so they can log a 4th attempt, or do they actually need to try to FIX (or even FIND) the problem?

Yep, I decided the first couple of weeks when this car was bought that it had a "V8" under the hood...

Therefore, I bought stage 1, and eventually hope to slap a new turbo or at least stage 2 to justify the bad gas mileage (and supremo freakin fuel too...).

Thanks for the support. I was supposed to receive a phone call from a higher-up at Subaru of America today, but of course, nothing. Then I called SoA and one of the bottom-feeding CSRs told me that the senior-rep was "working with a factory-rep" and someone would get in touch with me soon.

Lemon Law, here I come.

According to the Illinois Lemon Law, 4 attempts of repair need to made on the vehicle. I've already visited the dealership 3 documented times, so should I just stop by and ask about the same problem so they can log a 4th attempt, or do they actually need to try to FIX (or even FIND) the problem?

Visits != attempts to fix.

Check the details for IL, but in NC for the last strike(4th fix attempt) or if the car's been at the dealer for 15+ days, you have to send the manufacturer and finance company a certified letter requesting the manufacturer fix it. That starts the lemon process.

I keed I keeed

The winter gas comment may be more on track... Sometimes they'll put more additives in gasoline to make it work better at lower temps, and inheriently, you get worse performance. My '93 Z24 Convertible (3.1 liter V6, Mclaren engine... Turbocharged @ 14.5 psi) for instance, runs best on E85 for some reason. It also does quite well on Jet AA (115 octane) however, it doesn't matter what grade of gasoline i put in (Shell 104 / 94 Ultra) it just doesn't seem to run good on the street.

I sort of feel this occasionally with the subaru -- if i gas up at the 'cheapest place in town' i find that sometimes my dollars not stretching as far as it should -- i'm sure you've already realized that the gas prices for regular don't neccecerially predict the premium prices... So don't always go to the 'cheapest' place...

I try and stick with Exxon/Mobil, or Shell (both are pretty dominant up this way)... I don't have many issues with that gasoline, however, Hess premium, and a few other (generic suppliers) local gas stations i have mild knock at high load even with the motor warmed up fully.

Just my experience. I have 2,100 miles on my car and the original trip meter when i bought the car (2,050 miles now) shows an average of 16.8 mpg average... In the city i average 15 and thats with some 'fun' and 'crusing'... On the highway i'll average 25-28. This is with the 5EAT.

As far as the crusie trick -- yes, it will work better because the engine has electronic throttle control. You'll notice with the cruise engaged at even 30 mph, the RPM's will go and sit at 500 rpm until it needs slightly more power, then it'll engage the torque converter and apply slight throttle to bring the car up to the desired threshold. This requires less of a pulsewidth adjustment than the gas being stepped on (and the appropriate throttle pump injection) and reults in a slight savings of fuel!

--Lee

Reallyfast,

Thanks for the comments. I used to get 25-28mpg on the highway but now I top out at 20mpg. I always use cruise control. (on the highway)

Before I started changing it up and trying different gas stations, I basically only went to Mobil. The dealer suggested that I try switching it up.

Have you tried calculating your fuel efficiency manually?

Reallyfast,

Thanks for the comments. I used to get 25-28mpg on the highway but now I top out at 20mpg. I always use cruise control. (on the highway)

Before I started changing it up and trying different gas stations, I basically only went to Mobil. The dealer suggested that I try switching it up.

Have you tried calculating your fuel efficiency manually?

honestly... i've found better fuel economy with cruise control OFF... just because when it going up a small hill, the CC will increase fuel to keep that speed it's set at.. therefore, bringing your MPG down.. without cruise control, you can flucuate the speed slightly with less fuel usage.. you know what i mean?

i drive almost all highway.. if i accelerate really really slow, and shift at 2500RPM.. i can squeeze about 28MPG outta my car (with AP Stage 1 Map) and also.. the MPG Calculator is slightly optimistic.. so whatever it tells you your average is.. subtract about 1.5MPG from it and that's pretty much the actual reading.

there's my two cents :)

there are different cruise control calculations... Alpha+n and time/speed correction... I forget how / which the subaru uses, but your results may vary with a 5 speed over the 5EAT because of how tightly the ECU can control everything...

I have a reciept from my last fill up, 12.80 gallons... on my last tank i went 230 miles before the gas light came on (yeah, i went the extra '30 miles' and thats what turned it on... so its not sounding too far off from where your at.

I find its easy to waste gas by keeping your foot on the gas lightly while coasting... its unnececary with the automatic... car coasts very well, i found i was braking all the time, so thats another slight savings if you can remember it...

BTW: All turbo cars run richer in cold weather (more so than normally aspirated cars). It's a requirement. All cars run richer in the cold because the air charge is more dense naturally (cold air is denser than hot air) -- so, obviously, when your compressing the more dense air charge, you need lots more fuel... which could also be substantiated. My '98 GTP exhibited that quite nicely, although the ECM used to chip away at the amount of boost on the highway to reduce fuel consumption on really cold days.

BTW: All turbo cars run richer in cold weather (more so than normally aspirated cars). It's a requirement. All cars run richer in the cold because the air charge is more dense naturally (cold air is denser than hot air) -- so, obviously, when your compressing the more dense air charge, you need lots more fuel... which could also be substantiated. My '98 GTP exhibited that quite nicely, although the ECM used to chip away at the amount of boost on the highway to reduce fuel consumption on really cold days.

Umm... the fuel enrichment is more for fuel condensation in the intake than for air density compensation.

When the manifold is cold, the atomized fuel tends to condense on the intake runners and cylinder walls (heck, anything cold), thus taking away from the cumbustable atomized fuel. Air density has a little to do with it, but not much.

Umm... the fuel enrichment is more for fuel condensation in the intake than for air density compensation.

When the manifold is cold, the atomized fuel tends to condense on the intake runners and cylinder walls (heck, anything cold), thus taking away from the cumbustable atomized fuel. Air density has a little to do with it, but not much.

But once it's warmed up the ECU decreases the richness.

i wouldn't say that for all turbo cars.. as pressure goes up, temperature rises as well.. and i wouldn't say that turbo cars run richer in cold weather.. because all forced induction vehicles run more rich in general.. whether it's hot or cold..

Archived