LegacyGT.com

You Must Be Kidding Me!

SLegacy99

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I made my 4th visit to Subaru to have speedometer fixed. I had called and they never returned my call. So my dad called (and this was more than a week ago) and told them to order me a new speedometer. They said ok.

I dropped the car off at 9 30. 5 00 rolls around and no one calls. So I call and find out the car is done and has been waiting. When I look at the service receipt I see the words, "ordered new speedometer unit."

YEAH, I COULDA TOLD YOU THAT. I WENT ALL DAY WITHOUT A CAR. Everytime Ive gone in there Ive said I need the car fixed because I am leaving for school. My spring break is over, and once again I am returning to school with a broken car. Subaru can kiss my ass. This is ridiculous, I ll just get it fixed somewhere else. Maybe they can do it in less than 4 tries. :icon_evil

Call suby HQ and report the problem. I think we all know that the dealership sucks. I'm not a grease monkey and have been burned numerous times. I now waste time on forums and try to educate myself.

Knowledge is half the battle!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I called SOA today, very polite and helpful but no solution. Being that I am not the original owner of the car and that SOA was not aware of any such problem with Legacy speedometers they told me to take it up with the dealer I had it serviced at.

So how can one dealer have some many '99 Legacies come in with a speedometer malfunction and SOA not know of it? Bullshit. And the speedometer that was ordered for me is not in yet or at least I havent been called about it.

I hate to say it, but maybe Ill just drop the Subaru and get a Prelude.

I have now spent $2260 in repairs, during the 10 months I have owned the car.

It has been 3 weeks since my speedometer was ordered and yet no word on its arrival. It is only suppossed to take 2 days. Now how can they expect to keep a customer when they service quality is shit?

Got a price for the speedo replacement from another dealer, which I think Im gonna fix it at. $360. Which sucks because I already paid $220.

Its official I am keeping this car. I just spent $220 on JDM fog lights...course I guess I could always sell them seperately too if I sold the car.
........... um you have been warned, there is a comment below you'll have to highlight to see, so brace yourself before you do because you prolly wont want to see it....

The foglights will not fit your GT without modification. You'll have to take off the front bumper and drill/custom make a bracket to get them on, then you will have to modify your bumper (ie cut/shave it) to get them to fit because they are larger than the stock USDM ones. Then comes wiring fun if you want the sides of the fogs to come on when you put on the turn signal, or if you want the side to turn on at all......

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I dunno, the bumper in the pic is the same one as mine. Obviously I cant see in the well of the lights but from the outside there are no variations.

And looking at it Acz, your bumper is the same as mine just not painted along the bottom.

But then I guess it is feasible that they did all of this work that you speak of.

cc_1.jpg.d220dd76bcc598b41ed7c6648509570f.jpg

I dunno, the bumper in the pic is the same one as mine. Obviously I cant see in the well of the lights but from the outside there are no variations.

And looking at it Acz, your bumper is the same as mine just not painted along the bottom.

But then I guess it is feasible that they did all of this work that you speak of.

It looks it, but thats the JDM bumper, heres a quote from a guy who did it on his USDM GT

It can be done... I've done it and so have a few others. But it's not easy and since I'm not a body work person myself I didn't do a perfect job. But the only way you'd know is if you were to get down and look at it closely... like hands and knees closely I mean! Then you'd notice that the edges aren't perfect and that there is a gap along the top. But I'm having the car repainted this summer and I'll get them to do any "finessing" needed.

I didn't use the old brackets at all. I had a set that came with the fog lamps... the ones that "clamp" on around the housing and are secured with 3 or 4 screws. I sent off a lot of emails to Asia and Japan dealers looking for "proper" brackets, but there is only the one set. The difference is in the JDM bumpers. They are not the same as our USDM ones and they have holes inside to bolt the lamps on. I looked into getting a bumper assembly, but it would have been a LOT of $$. I figured I could mess up several bumpers here for the same price!

You have to cut away a lot more of the hole in the outer bumper shell than what your stock lamps require. I just worked at it slowly, removing a bit and then working the light up from behind to see. A marker, a knife, a dremel, and some files were all I had to work with. I didn't take the bumper off myself. Once I got the hole the right size then I tried to figure out a way to anchor it. For this I had to modify the brackets that came with the lamps by removing some of it and I cut out a notch on the inside bumper piece to get a snug fit. I drilled and tapped new holes in the bumper (inside plastic piece) and made new holes in the brackets to attach them too. In the end I have 2 good solid bolts holding the bracket to the bumper, and then I slid the fog lamps in and still had 3 of those original bolts to work with to attach the bracket to the housing. I lost one bolt in the part of the bracket that had to be cut away to make it fit. They're pretty solid.

Then came the final adjusting to get both lights aimed at the right place, but that worked out pretty good the first time because I bolted them both to the same place on the bumper.

It took about 6 hours I think for the passenger side and then about 2 hours for the drivers (experience helped). I have each set of lights (projector fogs and side floods) on an individual circuit.

I'd love to do a DIY on the job, but I tried to get them off a while ago and couldn't. They are really in there now!! I did the job before I found the SLi forum and new about this wealth of information on the net! I ought to have taken pictures as I went.

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

THis is interesting.

I checked out the bracket on a 98 fog light and it is different from mine. Mine matches the JDM bracket except the JDM bracket has a minor extension to the back.

Acz this is listed as the driver's side fog light, which si the one you need I believe. However the photo is dyslexic. ????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-SUBARU-LEGACY-GT-LEFT-Drivers-side-FOG-light_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33709QQitemZ8051908394QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

So let me posit this: Im 90% sure that the 30th anniversery Legacy bumper is different. Me estimate sheet says 30th ann. bumper on it so Im thinkin there may be something different about it or they just felt like charging more for it. So maybe with some luck it will work out right.

THis is interesting.

I checked out the bracket on a 98 fog light and it is different from mine. Mine matches the JDM bracket except the JDM bracket has a minor extension to the back.

Acz this is listed as the driver's side fog light, which si the one you need I believe. However the photo is dyslexic. ????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-SUBARU-LEGACY-GT-LEFT-Drivers-side-FOG-light_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33709QQitemZ8051908394QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

So let me posit this: Im 90% sure that the 30th anniversery Legacy bumper is different. Me estimate sheet says 30th ann. bumper on it so Im thinkin there may be something different about it or they just felt like charging more for it. So maybe with some luck it will work out right.

Oh you are the shit, thanks for finding that!!!!! The bumpers might be different, but like you said before, if it doesnt work you can always sell it

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived