LegacyGT.com

Ticketed For Illegal Tint in MA.

Bretm1

(And is there a possibility you could express yourself with dignity without the profanities on this international website?)

No

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rob, well put.

Years ago I read a book by Sterling Moss - one of the most talented race drivers ever. Formula car drivers get a lot of respect in general because they're a lot more dangerous than sedan racing. Moss raced everything from Formula I to rallies.

He mentioned that he used hand signals to signal his intentions. A good example was when he was approaching an intersection and intended to turn. By signaling, he freed a driver waiting at that side road to continue on. It works great.

In road racing, it is quite normal to signal to overtaking cars in faster classes where you want them to pass you. You're not racing with them and vice versa: you could each hold the other up.

If there is a spinout or other course instruction you are taught to put your arm straight up in a fist. I do this when I'm on a two lane road and a pedestrian is crossing. It helps alert following drivers that I'm stopped in a lane with no signal for a reason, and they're more likely to stop instead of passing me in the other lane and taking out grandma.

It appears there are so drivers who are so uneducated, so impatient, so selfish, and so just plain angry who don't believe that other vehicles are operated by human beings and act accordingly.

Eventually, such drivers collect enough tickets - or have enough crashes - to face the reality that their driving skills really aren't very good and their driving style is very bad. IN MA and NH there are now unmarked cars with video cameras detailed to rush hour traffic to video tape their antics. If their conduct is egregious enough I often call the SP and report they are driving erratically.

Coxx, from your statement you sound like such aa person. I sure hope I'm wrong. All I have to go on is your statement here.

All this wasted testosterone when the 82nd Airborne Division needs paratroopers!.....

No I am not such a person. I've been driving since I'm 16 with no accidents that we're my fault (only rear-ended) & no real tickets of any kind thank God. What I'm saying here is, I like tinted windows & I dont need to see any of the other drivers faces. I'm not racing on a track. If there's a spinout, I'm getting out of the way or stopping as safely as I can, not putting my arm up or whatever. The way I see it, it's unnecessary to see the other drivers. It's more important to see where their car is in relation to mine. Now, I think I've taken this too far so I'm bowing out of the discussion. Agree to disagree or whatever

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

1 more thing, if you dont like my language, which I actually censored a bit myself, go to hell. This aint no kiddie forum. People in the real world speak that way.

Thats incorrect. Out of state vehicles are fair game in the state of NY for all vtl laws, the only ones they are exempt from are parking summonses. You cannot write a parking summons for expired reg for an out of state car. But if I view you operating that vehicle and your reg is expired, you will get a summons for unregistered vehicle and it will be upheld, as it is regularly when I'm in traffic court. We have a huge problem w/ people committing insurance fraud and driving PA, NJ, FL, GA, etc plates in NY although they use the vehicle fulltime in NY.

maybe its a state by state thing. We dont ticket for those type of infractions. especially tint.

To me thats unfair and unconstitutional. If my Vehicle is registered to the standards of my state and i travel to yours I should not be required to abide by your registration/inspection laws because I am not a resident. there is currently a 50 state pack that allows all drivers from all states to operate a MV in different states.

Most people dont know that, just because they have a, for instance NH drivers license, that it automatically gives them the right to operate in other states. The states all mutually agree to honor each others licenses.

NYfinest, Im not judging your department, but IMHO you are violating a federal ruling by issuing summones for tint and other inspection related issues.

Maybe its written into your laws that you can ticket for it.... i dont know...

I know in NH that we dont.

I also need to take into consideration that you have more abandonment, insurance fraud issues and your laws reflect that

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

NYfinest, Im not judging your department, but IMHO you are violating a federal ruling by issuing summones for tint and other inspection related issues.

Maybe its written into your laws that you can ticket for it.... i dont know...

We do not ticket for inspection. You can ticket for reg/insurance. NYS Law states all vehicles in NY or from any other state operating on NY roadways must be registered and insured, therefore if you're out of state vehicles registration is exprired, ie no longer registered, I have every right to summons you, and I have every right if I want to be a hardass to have your car towed at the owners expense and the owner cannot get the vehicle back until the person proves the car is properly registered and insured.

I agree about the registration. I guess I didnt explain myself well enough. I mean if NY required all cars have full sized spares to pass inspection and be registered, And I am From NH and I have a donut and i drive through NY, you cant ticket me for that.

I agree about the registration. I guess I didnt explain myself well enough. I mean if NY required all cars have full sized spares to pass inspection and be registered, And I am From NH and I have a donut and i drive through NY, you cant ticket me for that.

Likewise, I don't imagine any motorists from Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennesee, or West Virginia are ticketed for not having a front license plate while travelling in other states where the front plate is required.

Likewise, I don't imagine any motorists from Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennesee, or West Virginia are ticketed for not having a front license plate while travelling in other states where the front plate is required.

But, it's not that they won't.....

OTOH, my brother in CA has not gotten a "no front plate" ticket over the last 20 years, although he carries the front plate and bracket in the car to claim that it "broke off" if they give him flack.

Ron

But, it's not that they won't.....

It's not that "they" won't break into your house and kill you in your sleep for looking at their sister, however there's no more a law that allows them to do that than there is a law that would allow them to ticket an out-of-state driver for failing to have a front plate in a state that requires it (when the car is registered in a state that doesn't require it).

OTOH, my brother in CA has not gotten a "no front plate" ticket over the last 20 years, although he carries the front plate and bracket in the car to claim that it "broke off" if they give him flack.

Anecdote or negative proof?

Even if the statute specifies that it doesn't apply to out-of-state vehicles (and i'll bet that less than half probably do), there is nothing to prohibit him from issuing you a ticket. YOU must prove him wrong in court.

My brother has received a few speeding tickets in the 28 years that he has lived in southern CA and has not gotten a front-plate ticket. I own the '88 Fiero GT that he bought new, and I have the front bracket with the front plate that he carried around with him. Same with the two cars they now own.

if you guys want to rely on the cops to have the state laws memorized and be fair with you, that's fine. Life ain't fair.....don't pretend that it is. if you believe that cops never give out incorrect tickets, I have a bridge or two to sell you.

Ron

Even if the statute specifies that it doesn't apply to out-of-state vehicles (and i'll bet that less than half probably do), there is nothing to prohibit him from issuing you a ticket. YOU must prove him wrong in court.

I said "[There's no] law that would allow them to ticket an out-of-state driver for failing to have a front plate in a state that requires it". As far as I can tell, you're agreeing with me that driving w/o a front plate in a state that requires it when registered in a state that doesn't isn't illegal.

I think the problem is mostly that I interpreted your statement to be "But, it's not that they won't [since they can because the driver is breaking the law]" instead of your now-apparent meaning of "But, it's not that they won't [do it erroneously, since some are ignorant of the law]". Sure that can happen. My previous posts were commenting on Bu11dogg2's assertion that not all of one state's motor vehicle laws necessarily apply to out-of-state drivers who are passing through.

Originally Posted by Mui01

Dude, PA system, they are in the all law enforcement vehicles. I not saying all Cops are smart, but safe one usually use the PA to tell the driver to lower its windows.

I've been driving (legally) since I was 17, I am almost 32 and I have never ever had a cop use his PA system to tell me to roll my windows down before he approached my vehicle...that is just absurd.

officer: Exuse me, thank you for pulling over. I am about to exit my car and walk up to yours to give you a ticket for something your gonna deny doing...please roll down your windows before I approach, thank you for your cooperation. :rolleyes:

Why bother, its more fun going after whiners like you :lol:

Hahahahahahaha

Bottom line is, if you break the law you are risking to get caught....

I do agree that Police Officers should be chasing Drug dealers more, protecting bad city neighborhoods more, all that stuff but if you don't get caught/pulled over, stay under the law or try to change it....

;-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

is it true that if the car is not registered in the state that you are in, they can not pull you over for that state's tint laws. I think I read that somewhere. My car is registered in NY but I'm driving it in Boston. I'm 75% sure on this.

100% right...

Out of State registerred cars, need to follow the laws where the registration is....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

We do not ticket for inspection. You can ticket for reg/insurance. NYS Law states all vehicles in NY or from any other state operating on NY roadways must be registered and insured, therefore if you're out of state vehicles registration is exprired, ie no longer registered, I have every right to summons you, and I have every right if I want to be a hardass to have your car towed at the owners expense and the owner cannot get the vehicle back until the person proves the car is properly registered and insured.

Ok so if I rent a vehicle and I don't choose the LDW or Liability, am I still eligible to drive in NYC? How come they still let you do so????????

Also, if you are from a State where Insurance is optional, like NH and others for instance, when you drive to NYC, you need to buy an insurance policy just for the weekend????

Also, if I buy a MB 320CDI Diesel, not emissions friendly on some states, and I go on vacation to NY or MA, where it is NOT legal under the emissions law, I am not supposed to drive it there???? My boss has one of those, and he had to buy it from CT, once in Mass/NH they don't sell it, so he registerred it on his vacation home in CT and uses it in MA, with no problems... Is he breaking the law? In some way he is, but who can prove that he uses his car all day and everyday in Mass???? It's like everything, very subjective..

I know NYS Law states that all registerred cars need to have insurance and everything, but requiring another state registerred vehicle to commit to NYS Laws, just don't look right to me, but again, in NYC the laws are not for normal people and they just don't give a f!&@*!ck if you go to court..... It happened to me once there, they towed my gf's car there in Brooklyn, we saw the street signs and there was a sign from this point to the left you cannot park, so we parked to the right of the sign, however maybe 10 feet away, there was another sign, you cannot park from here to right, so we thougth we were cool, and next morning? Car got towed, we went to the court and guess what? A very rude woman said we should have looked at all signs all over the street!!! This is F!*@(!ING ridiculous if you are parking here, you shouldn't have to look for signs for the whole block!!!!!!

:-(

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Don't worry its not inforced hardly AT ALL! Like I said before there are thousands of people in NYC with unregistered out of state vehicles. The NYPD avoid them like the plagued. Having an out of state plate in NYC is like some kind of voodoo hex on getting ticketed. Some owners just throw the tickets away if they do get one. Only exception is Manhattan where those tow truck cops will tow anything standing still for an hour:lol:

I know NYS Law states that all registerred cars need to have insurance and everything, but requiring another state registerred vehicle to commit to NYS Laws, just don't look right to me, but again, in NYC the laws are not for normal people and they just don't give a f!&@*!ck if you go to court..... It happened to me once there, they towed my gf's car there in Brooklyn, we saw the street signs and there was a sign from this point to the left you cannot park, so we parked to the right of the sign, however maybe 10 feet away, there was another sign, you cannot park from here to right, so we thougth we were cool, and next morning? Car got towed, we went to the court and guess what? A very rude woman said we should have looked at all signs all over the street!!! This is F!*@(!ING ridiculous if you are parking here, you shouldn't have to look for signs for the whole block!!!!!!

:-(

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Sorry to say that this is Standard Operating Procedure in NYC. You must walk the WHOLE block and check every sign on it before walking away from your car. If you are in Manhattan you must spend at least 5 minutes translating the signs with their overlapping times. Also if the sign is faded and you can't read it, it still counts! If the sign has been bent in the wrong direction, it still counts! If the sign fell off, it still counts! The distances from 90% of fire hydrants are not marked so you have to "guess" the required 15 feet, if your guess does not match the cops guess, you guessed it, you get a ticket! If the hydrant is broken (falling over, old and dry as a bone) and there is no chance in hell the fire department could get water from it for anything, you'll get a ticket! If there is a pedestrian slope in the sidewalk (no lights, no lines, not even an opposite slope on the otherside of the road) leading to nowhere, it still counts!

As Apu would say "Thank you. Come again!" ;)

Ok so if I rent a vehicle and I don't choose the LDW or Liability, am I still eligible to drive in NYC? How come they still let you do so????????

Also, if you are from a State where Insurance is optional, like NH and others for instance, when you drive to NYC, you need to buy an insurance policy just for the weekend????

Yes. I got stopped with a rental in FL and they gave me a big hassle for not having an insurance card. I didn't know they existed. I called up my insurance company on the spot and the officer let it go.

Also, if I buy a MB 320CDI Diesel, not emissions friendly on some states, and I go on vacation to NY or MA, where it is NOT legal under the emissions law, I am not supposed to drive it there???? My boss has one of those, and he had to buy it from CT, once in Mass/NH they don't sell it, so he registerred it on his vacation home in CT and uses it in MA, with no problems... Is he breaking the law? In some way he is, but who can prove that he uses his car all day and everyday in Mass???? It's like everything, very subjective..

Subjective to you! Massachusetts has a toll free number (I believe it's 1-800-IPAYTAXES or something like that) to report such folks and they make an example of them....like the neighbor in Boston with a Lexus LS430, registered in NH. NH is a bigger problem because iit doesn't have a sales tax. But I have fleet cars registered in MA and NH and you don't really save much. Not certain, but I think he could have bought a used diesel.

If he gets in an accident, has he committed fraud in registering his vehicle this way? Can the insurance company decline to cover him?

I wish Boston was more aggressive in ticketing. We got Resident parking a month ago and 40-50% of the cars on the street don't have Resident stickers, and not one has been ticketed.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I wish Boston was more aggressive in ticketing. We got Resident parking a month ago and 40-50% of the cars on the street don't have Resident stickers, and not one has been ticketed.

I wish they were too, but in terms of DL points, instead of increasing the fines, like REsident ticket used to be 25 bucks, now in some cities near Boston is 40, like Cambridge, Somerville, etc...

Instead of increasing the ticket prices, they should change the law to something like, for every 3 parking tickets one DL point or anything like that....

About my boss' Benz, it's an awesome car and etc, but yes he is indeed not following the State regulations, and he shouldn't be able to do that, but again, if you have money (a vacation home etc) you can register your car there and it is perfectly legal to do so.... Same things applies to a condo in Portsmouth that he has, and he could've used that one too if they sold this model up there.....

Another thing, I can't wait for the Insurance rates to go down here, a friend of mine, from NJ, where the insurance was also controlled by the State, now it was open for private prices, he was able to cut in half his policy.... Hope one day in the People's Republic of Massachusetts this works too!!!!!

Enjoy your rainy day out there...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

hahahaha I remember last winter when all the residents were sholveling themselves out of the snow then putting a butt load of garbage in the spot so no one would take it, fist fights and gun battles insued!

re-tinted today, put 35 in the rear two door windows, and replaced the tint in the two vent windows. I'm leaving the back as it was (20).

This cost me 140(for ripping off and re-install)

This is not my beautiful car.

FYI- Got nailed today by MA Trooper for second time this month. First time I was in a dealer loaner with no inspection sticker and today I got pulled over on rt 195 in Dartmouth (in my car) for having illegal tint on all of the back windows. I was fined 250 dollars for five windows (they count the little rear "vent" windows).

My fronts were ok with the light meter. They read a 40 on the meter when the max is 35. The rear read 15. I will be removing the tint soon.

Be careful.

Back Windows? I'm 100% positive of this because I'm currently taking a class for my Mass Inspection Lics. In Massachusetts you MUST have 1 visiable ways of looking at the rear of your car...lets list them

1. Drivers side mirror+center(dash) Mirror (in this case rear window can't be tinted below 35%, because you need to look though it with the mirror)

2. Drivers side mirror+passangers side mirror

As long as your Legacy has a passangers side mirror, and it does then that back window, can be as dark as you want. The rear passenger windows can only be 35%, like the front two

Don't worry its not inforced hardly AT ALL! Like I said before there are thousands of people in NYC with unregistered out of state vehicles. The NYPD avoid them like the plagued. Having an out of state plate in NYC is like some kind of voodoo hex on getting ticketed. Some owners just throw the tickets away if they do get one. Only exception is Manhattan where those tow truck cops will tow anything standing still for an hour:lol:

Well this is one cop who makes it his mission to write those kind of people. There's nothing more disheartening then coming to a motor vehicle accident, seeing a car full of badly injured people as the motorist at fault has no insurance and no registration. I don't like people who try to get one over on others. So take the chance, but if you run into me you will get a nice handful of tickets.

Archived