LegacyGT.com

HELP!!! Regular gas put in car!

Dont' worry at all. You don't have to stay out of the boost, you don't have to drain it, you don't have to do anything but accept the fact that you'll be 10-20 hp less than stock until about halfway through the new tank. DO NOT put premium in until the tank is almost EMPTY. Filling up with half a tank just doubles the amount of time that non-premium octane is going into the engine. And not to hijack the thread, but how does NJ justify not having self serve gas? Are they stuck in the 70s? Is it a union thing? Are the lawmakers just stupid?

The engines are different. The exterior dimensions are the same (and most of the inside dimensions as well), but the block, crank, rods, pistons, heads, valves and cams are different) Just use the gas that is in there and relax. If you are concerned then stay out of boost, with the low compression ratio of the motor you could put almost anything in there and it would not knock when it is not under boost. I am amazed at how delicate people think these cars are, and at the same time how amazingly amazing they are.

Congrats. This topic was on my list of Top Ten Topics I Can't Wait to Read. :D Just drive it. [quote name='Information Society'] My advice is to buy some octane booster and add that to your tank. I don't think the turbo should be damaged, but you might want to take it easy.[/quote] You'd have to add an awful lot of octane booster to make a difference: [quote]Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.[/quote] [url]http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gasoline-octane.html[/url]

Now that someone put the wrong gas into the tank yuo are going to have to sell the car. :D Your car is now worth one dollar. but I will be nice and buy it from you for two dollars. LOL. :D Just drive the car and don't worry about the gas. Just fill-up next time with the right kind.

[quote name='John M']Are the lawmakers just stupid?[/quote] Maybe I'm missing something, do you know any smart ones? :lol: Hell, a law is being passed in I believe SF today making it illegal to use silly string, and the fine for breaking this law will be between $200 to $1000. :evil: For the love of God, stop wasting my hard earned money that you take for taxes and do something to help the country - like fight terrorism, or just make this country a better place. I believe that these elected officals make bundles on money and never know what their job is so they create silly laws and amendments to justify being in office. - Mike

Yeah, now that I look back on it I realized that I kind of over reacted a little bit. Tehe. From now on I am going to watch these guys like hawks to make sure they put in the gas that I want in there. Well, at least I can look at this as a way of helping people in the same situation the embarassment of asking the question themselves. Its like im a hero... yeah, an American patriot!! :D

As long as you don't seriously load the engine, you should be alright. How much was left in the tank when you filled up? Using 93 before? You could run it down 3-6 gallons and put in 93/94 for a bit of insurance if you are all that worried. il collaudatore, the car is mean't to use premium fuel, which is there to reduce premature detonation from the higher dynamic compression when you are under load with boost. If you use regular fuel, it's not recommended to get on it at all as damage could occur if it detonates heavily. Some STi's have had detonation on 93/94 octane fuel with extremely advanced timing, thus I wouldn't go less than the recommended fuel grade. You sure will cut back on the fun if you want to save yourself a few bucks in the short term.

Oh wow, didn't know that. My current car, Car and Driver did a test between regular and premium fuel performance. Surprisingly, the regular fared better and the manufacutor said to use premium gas- which is why I asked about the 2.5GT. I've been using regular ever since and the car has been running fine. And since my only other car I've own was an I4 camry, I really never did see a difference between the fuels. So you can see where my doubt in using premium fuel is coming from.

Turbocharged and naturally aspirated with modest compression ratios are much different. I'd have to look up what they dynamic compression ratio was, but it's a bit higher than the N/A model when you factor in the extra air being crammed in. That's how it makes the power, more air + more fuel = more power. The higher compression ratio (dynamic or static), the more liklihood you will see premature detonation of the mix. That's a BAD thing. In certain situations it 'CAN' leave you with parts of your engine becoming shall I say, unattached, like pistons, conrods, and parts of the block to name a few. Now that isn't the case in many instances, but getting on boost with low octane fuel quickly increases the chance for damage from premature detonation. There is a reason why they RECOMMEND premium fuel, so you can use it's capabilities it is intended for. An engine will live with the lower octane fuel and taking it easy, but then you might as well should have just bought the 2.5i if you didn't want to pay for premium fuel and have fun with boost.

Here in Australia, I was told by my dealer that I can use regular unleaded fuel if I can't find an premium around, but "try not to make a habit of using regular". Since our cars have knock sensors and advanced ECU's, the timing will retard before any pinging or detonating becomes fatal to the engine. -Matt

In Oz are you recommended to use 98 RON? Be interesting to find out about what the guys in the UK that have imported JDM spec Bs do for fuel, as they recommend 100RON for the specB whilst the best they can get in the UK is 98. Would this cause problems in the long term?

AMSOIL makes a couple of octane "boosters" and STP also claims to have such a product. Might be handy to have in one of those trunk tray compartments. ________________________ AMSOIL Octane Boost reduces engine knock, improves ignition, helps fuel burn cleaner and inhibits corrosion. Recommended for all high performance off-road and racing applications. Increases octane number by up to 7 points.

Archived