LegacyGT.com

HELP!!! Regular gas put in car!

Ooooh, how I hate New Jersey. I just went to fill up gas and the idiot gas attendant put regular gasoline in my car. I was really shocked when I looked at the final price and the kind of gas that he used. What should I do? I need serious help here, and I am sure I will be the laughing stock, but this sucks and I want to know what I need to do to fix it. Thanks!

Your performance may suffer but I would think that it won't hurt the car. If you really wanted to you could put some Toluene in the tank. That raises the octane. The ecu should adjust just like it would if you had a tank of bad gas or something. With aftermarket engine management it's a different story. Chris S.

I don't think one tank will make much of a difference, you will certainly notice it in the performace...i could tell the difference between 91 and 94...Just don't make a habbit of it...or better yet...pump your own gas!

All gas tanks come with a drain plug on the bottom. It works just like an oil drain plug. I would recommend draining as much of that gas as possible, the lead may damage your catalytic converters and Subaru might not warranty their replacement. Disposing of gas is also considered a hazardous chemical. I would just pay a local garage or gas station to do it for me. They shouldn't charge you too much to do it since it takes less than half an hour to drain.

are you serious!?!? why are we talking about draining the gas...its only one tank...a car is not going to be affected by one tank of low grade gas....come on...manual even says its ok if there is no choice, its not like the engine is going to die all of a sudden...

Your engine has a knock sensor which will back off the timing to prevent harm to the engine when running low octane gas, so no harm will come of running through the tank. For this tank just take it easy, stay out of the throttle and you will minimize the work the knock sensor has to do. If you do get on the throttle, you may notice decreased performance because the computer is retarding timing and probably boost. You will NOT damage your catalytic converter and you do NOT need to drain the tank. :roll: -Nick

I took his post to mean "Leaded Gasoline", everyone else believes it meant "87 octane Unleaded" If it is lower octane unleaded, then I agree it can just be used up, though I would fill it with Super when it got halfway empty just to get some of the performance back. But Leaded Gas is bad! I would not be surprised at all if New Jersey sells leaded gas...

[quote name='Ken']I took his post to mean "Leaded Gasoline", everyone else believes it meant "87 octane Unleaded" If it is lower octane unleaded, then I agree it can just be used up, though I would fill it with Super when it got halfway empty just to get some of the performance back. But Leaded Gas is bad! I would not be surprised at all if New Jersey sells leaded gas...[/quote] Leaded gas hasn't been widely available in this country for over 20 years. -Nick

I would do what Nick said. Just relax and drive -- try to avoid situations where you would lug the engine. The engine's knock sensor will take care of you. A few tanks of premium thereafter, you won't even know the difference. If you really are concerned about the drop in performance from regular, do an ECU reset after the tank. Ken

[quote name='KayGT']he's from jersey just like me......in jersey u dont pump u'r own gas...less than 1% of the gas stations are self serve[/quote] Seriously? I live in Northern VA, and you can't find a full serve station. (Not that I would use one, just can't find them.)

[quote name='KayGT']he's from jersey just like me......in jersey u dont pump u'r own gas...less than 1% of the gas stations are self serve[/quote] Actually, its exactly ZERO percent, as pumping your own gas is against the law, which is rediculous. Since our gasonline taxes are lower then surrounding states though, the prices appear low, so nobody pushes to change the law.

It won't hurt your car, your computer will adjust. You'll just have a bit less (probably 3-5 hp) power. But I'd complain to the gas station owner if you were clear that you wanted PREMIUM and they put in regular. The owner should give you a gift cert, or in the very least a discount on you next fill up.

Wait wait..... isn't this the same exact engine that they use in the 2.5i. I'm like 99% sure that the n/a 2.5i used regual gas. if that is true, just don't let your turbo spool up or try to keep out of the boost as much as possible. I wouldn't worry as long as you don't push it. Maybe after you burn a 1/4 to a 1/2 tank of the 87, go to your local racetrack and fill the rest of the tank withh 100 octane :D LOL - Mike

To be rational, the engine will not blow up, explode or start singing Jason Mraz songs if you put 87 octane gas in the car. Every car sold in North America is tuned to detect the presence of low-grade gas and adjusts automatically, even a rep from Porsche admitted that the company acknowledges the need for a car to run on low-quality fuel once in a while, given an emergency or such. My advice is to buy some octane booster and add that to your tank. I don't think the turbo should be damaged, but you might want to take it easy.

Archived