LegacyGT.com

Window Tint Installed!

Bicster

We've only had the car one day, and it's started... I had the local Huper Optik dealer install Ceramic 30 tint all around. Let me tell ya, it's not easy watching someone use a heat gun and a giant butane torch on my new baby! :icon_surp

Radio reception, as promised, is unaffected. It looks great, and they did the back window with one piece. No pics yet, it's dark outside already!

The installer told me that they pay $1,000 per roll of the Huper film! No wonder they charge so much to install it.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats. I too went with a ceramic film, Formula One though. I did 35% rear and 50% front and wish it was a little darker. Oh well, their next step down in that film was 15% and I was worried that would be too dark.

Anyway.....enjoy! You will notice a big difference on a sunny day when you lower the windows. Often I will lower them in an attempt to get some fresh air in and not use AC, but the sun turns out to be too harsh with the window down.

how much did they charge you for the huper optik? That stuff is the best, on my list of things to do.

They wanted $499; I paid $435, which I'm sure is still too much. I've seen posts on other forums for $299-$399 for similar jobs.

:needpics:

On my list of things to do! Where are jj808's pics? :D

They wanted $499; I paid $435, which I'm sure is still too much. I've seen posts on other forums for $299-$399 for similar jobs.

On my list of things to do! Where are jj808's pics? :D

Ouch! Thats pricey for tint. I have the same stuff and I paid $250. But as long as it came out right and you like it. I want pics. Mine is out there under My Wagon Pics if you search.

Now it's debadged too ... and once again, it's too dark outside to take pictures.

Debadging was really easy. I used dental floss, doubled up, and it just tore right through the adhesive. The adhesive was soft and rubbery, much like the stuff advertisers use to attach junk to magazine pages. Most of it rubbed off with my fingers. The rest came off with some citrus adhesive remover, followed by a wash, paint cleaner, polish, and wax. It all took about 20 mins, and I'm all covered in sweat ... that's life in the subtropics! Too bad I broke the "S" off the SUBARU badge, I was gonna put it on my toolbox! :D

i hear its a scam... i was talking to my window tinter dood at my work today and he said something bout the back window. the tint cant conform to the angles or something... you cant heat it or something i cant remember but he said something about you can do the sides but not the back window... but if your doing commercial property or your house it will work... i dont know what he was talking about personally i never heard of it until i read the post two days ago. but ummm if it keeps the heat out im all for it.

Naw, you can heat it. But it is extremely thick and impossible to form around aggressive curves...and it does take a very experienced installer. It can create some chromatic abberations when shrunk too much, too. I don't notice any of that on my car though. The rear window on the leggy doesn't have much curvature to it, so they didn't have any trouble.

The heat rejection of this film is incredible. The ceramic 30 has 61% total solar energy rejection, 85% IR rejection, >99% UV rejection, and 34% VLT.

llumar platinum plus 18:

65% solar energy rejection

99% uv rejection

18% visible light reflection

oh, and $200 (not $435)

That's an apples and oranges comparison though. The llumar is metallic, so it will mess with radio reception and radar detectors. Also, it lets 50% less light through (34% vs 17%) -- which is not even legal here -- while only blocking 4% more heat! The VLT/heat rejection ratio is one of the reasons why Huper is so darned expensive.

Finally took some pics... This tint may be removed soon though. There are still a ton of bubbles which the tint shop claimed would be gone by now.

http://www.planetfall.com/~jeff/legacy/CRW_1982-1.jpg

http://www.planetfall.com/~jeff/legacy/CRW_1989-1.jpg

http://www.planetfall.com/~jeff/legacy/CRW_1990-1.jpg

I saw you posted this on the 18th and it's now the 29th. My tint took about 2 weeks for every last bubble to disappear (I have "regular" tint not your stuff) and that was in early fall in Seattle. Sometimes it takes a while. Not sure what a Houston winter is like but I wouldn't rush to take it off before 30 days are up. It just takes time sometimes. I was ready after 10 days to freak out trust me! In another 4 or 5 days it was all perfect. Just some friendly advice...
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

HEY!

What is this HUPER stuff? Sounds like something you'd by for your hummer.

Just give me the two sentence difference between a $350 dollar tint job with good stuff and the 800 dollar job you're talking abou?

If it lasts for 10 years without turning color than maybe its a better deal... what is the basic story?

I guess I thought it would be "black-er" tint.

I realize that it isn't 5% VLT... but I was hoping the uber-expensive huper-optik ceramic would be less reflective of visible light...

I love the look of some of the other cars, where the tint is light enough to see through (can see light through the other side windows during the day) yet is black enough to mask the border around the rear quarter window.

Blacking out that quarter window to the point where it is uniform from the b-pillar back is a great look for the legacy... but the border is completely obvious with the Huper-optic...

Too bad, too. I like the heat and UV rejection stats... to keep the interior looking nice, and keep it cool...

It isn't all bad. the reflectivity of it really looks nice, and kind of takes on the color of the atlantic blue paint. The effect isn't bad, but not what I would be going for in my own preference.

Huper is somewhat reflective. I thought it might bother me, but I actually think it looks pretty sharp. (I'd still prefer less reflection.) There are other non-metallic tints that are less reflective ... the tint shop tried to sell me on one of their other lines, but they haven't been selling it more than a year so I have no idea how it will hold up. Everyone knows Huper is good stuff and it lasts and doesn't fade. I think their other tint was Diamond Nichrome. It was all smoke with no reflection.

2006Specb122, who said anything about $800? lol. I've known people to get Huper tint installed for $299. The problem is that they have geographic monopolies, so it's up to your local tint dealer to decide how much gouging they want to do. Huper tint is a non-metallic (ceramic) film with better heat rejection properties than most films on the market at a given VLT. And it doesn't mess with radio reception (our antennas are on the rear glass) or radar detector use...

I saw you posted this on the 18th and it's now the 29th. My tint took about 2 weeks for every last bubble to disappear (I have "regular" tint not your stuff) and that was in early fall in Seattle. Sometimes it takes a while. Not sure what a Houston winter is like but I wouldn't rush to take it off before 30 days are up. It just takes time sometimes. I was ready after 10 days to freak out trust me! In another 4 or 5 days it was all perfect. Just some friendly advice...

Thanks for the info. I'll simmer down and wait another week.

Archived