LegacyGT.com

Do I *Want* a sunroof?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='jaycee']Additionally, I had a roof rack on most of the summer and the wind noise between the moonroof and the rack was quite loud. I don't know if you're a kayaking/biking type but the roof rack/moonroof combo can be a problem.[/QUOTE] Not a problem on the LGT wagons because the square cross bars snap on and off in about five minutes time each so no need to leave them on until you're ready to use them and then just pop them back off after you're done. ...asking your gf to wear a hat when it rained... now that's funny... but she probably didn't see it that way.:) SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I was initially considering the non-Ltd because it came without sun/moon roof. You gain about 2 inches extra head room in the rear seats without s/m roof. A plus when squeezing kids into their car seats. But, I want leather and power adjusted seats, so my daughter will just have to duck her head when climbing into her seat :D .

I don't like the idea of a big hole in the roof filled with heavy materials that increase weight and reduce structural rigidity. That being said, the sunroof in my LegGT/Ltd wagon is the best designed sunroof, by far, that I have ever had. Better than past Audi, past BMW and better than sunroof in my wife's new Range Rover. The wagon sunroof is even bigger than the new BMW/X5 sunroof. The LegGT wagon Sunroof has less wind noise, less wind turbulance, better seal and better operation for multi-use. Like other cars we own or have owned, I was stuck with a sunroof if I wanted certain other feature packs, but I must say that the LegGT's sunroof is in a catagory by itself.

I use my sunroof all the time. Even in the winter. Just turn on the defroster and it'll send heat up to your head to keep your head warm. (more so then the if you turn it to the vents. All my cars except my first had a sunroof. (That was a '70 something Datsun 310)
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

[quote name='MtnSub']I don't like the idea of a big hole in the roof filled with heavy materials that increase weight and reduce structural rigidity. That being said, the sunroof in my LegGT/Ltd wagon is the best designed sunroof, by far, that I have ever had. Better than past Audi, past BMW and better than sunroof in my wife's new Range Rover. The wagon sunroof is even bigger than the new BMW/X5 sunroof. The LegGT wagon Sunroof has less wind noise, less wind turbulance, better seal and better operation for multi-use. Like other cars we own or have owned, I was stuck with a sunroof if I wanted certain other feature packs, but I must say that the LegGT's sunroof is in a catagory by itself.[/QUOTE] Interesting, as I didn't test drive a wagon. Anyone ever put the Forester Sunroof all the way back :eek: . Very loud, and felt as if the wind would pick me up and toss me out the roof :lol: That was the best feature on that car (besides the XT motor of course). If it weren't for the better deal on the LGT, I might would have picked up the Forester.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='foerster']Well, there are two types of people in that respect -- those who use their sunroofs, and those who don't... My last 2 cars have had one so for me it would be very difficult going w/o it -- I have mine open at every opportunity (i.e. not raining or sub-zero!)... My wife, on the other hand, could care less because she rarely uses it. FWIW, I've never had a problem w/ one of mine leaking -- not even a hint... I think most of the leak problems I've heard of were w/ aftermarket add-ons, not factory ones... Stefan[/QUOTE] Moonroofs and sunroofs have been cut after factory on all cars for almost two decades. It may say that it is factory installed, but that is misleading. They send all of the cars to get sunroofs/moonroofs to a place to have them installed. It is the same with almost all convertibles. There are a few exceptions like the Miata and such which that is the only way they come. It just doesn't make sense to stop the assembly line and retool for a relatively small number of units. To my point. Don't worry about leaks. That is from the seventies. I have had at least five (5) sunroofs and never had a problem. Only one was "factory installed".

I was told by a customizer that you can get the exact same cassette (that's what they call the moon roof "system" that's installed) and have it installed in your car for a completely factory look. I'm with the previous caller who said that their AM unit worked just as well as their factory installs with no leaks. SBT

after having a sunroof and power leather seats in my previous two cars, i decided to go with an Un-Limited GT. :D i never used the roof - maybe the tilt once in a while, but i never liked the noise, and the sun beating down on my head and legs. if anything, an open sunroof made the car [i]hotter[/i] on a sunny day while at red lights or stopped. the extra headroom, weight saved, money saved, and "one less thing to break" are also bonuses. :)

Though they make some nice aftermarket roofs (I've done a lot of research) I have doubts that you can get the exact same thing as the factory: 1) Bracing in the wagon LTD is done professionally at the factory (at least from what I've seen of the sketches/drawings). 2) The sheet metal is "rolled" around the edges so the glass sinks down flush with the roof. I've never seen a aftermarket installation with rolled sheet metal--they have to put a poly/plastic type gasket around the outside. Some of them do look pretty nice and some are good quality, but they aren't as pristeen as the factory and always have a slight "lip" from the plastic type gasket they put around the edge where they cut your roof. Also, after looking at the interior roof of the LGT, I'm pretty leary about letting someone take all the head panel material/insullation off and try and re-install it all to a pristeen professional level. (and yes, all the ones I've talked to/seen say they have to take it all down and put new up afterwards). Just some thoughts. Anyone seen different?

It's one of those things where you have to give a little, in my opionion. I would have loved to have the sunroof. My 2000 Impreza RS had one. But personally I did NOT want to have a leather interior. Just not something that I wanted, and a sunroof was not worth $2500 to me.

We just bought a non-limited LGT. We wanted leather, not the sunroof - couldn't get it. Why make the sacrifice? Well, a few years back, my wife and I were involved in a roll-over in a car with a sunroof. Her hand went through it during the accident and she almost lost it when she was pinned to the ground by the car. Fortunately an excellent surgeon was able to save it. Maybe it's a 1 in a 1000 chance, but we won't ever have another.......ever.

[quote name='praedet']I'm surprised that no one has mentioned one of the coolest uses of a sunroof... Driving at night away from the city lights. If you have ever driven a convertible or sunroof equipped vehicle at night you know what I am talking about. Lots of stars. I find myself opening mine even when it is too cold and using the heater just so I can enjoy the night. Ted[/QUOTE] i had a firebird convertable and did that. you also get the feeling somebody is going to jump in and whack you over the head with a crowbar. then you'll see stars. :lol: as for the sunroof i almost never open them. i just wanted the heated seats for my back. you should at least try it once in your car.

I've never owned a car with a sunroof (until I get my Legacy if all goes well), but my father has one in his CR-V. We all are kind of neutral on them, it's not really something we would spend extra money on just to get, but if it's part of a package then so be it. He never uses the one on his CR-V although having driven it a few times, the thing has started to grow on me. I suspect that I may use mine quite a bit, I like having windows open for fresh air and the sunroof on the legacy seemed pretty good as far as noise and air goes without smacking you in the face with the wind.

Drove home tonight with the roof all the way open and the driver's window down. When I leave for work in the morning, unless it's raining, I open the sunroof at least to the 2/3 position and I likewise use it when I'm running back and forth between client sites or just running around time. Love it on the open road and especially at night under the stars. All of our Legacys have one and we'll be getting one on the FXT. SBT

[quote name='phuzaxeman']once you go sunroof you won't go back. if you got leather, the sunroof is a great compliment. price is the only reason why you shouldn't get it.[/QUOTE] had on my last two cars - never really used it. i didn't go back. ;) other reasons are more headroom, less weight, one less thing to break, no decapitation/amputations in a rollover, and no flooded car when you forget to close it and it rains. :D

Sunroof/Moonroof? It depends. I had one in my '91 Accord and LOVED it. I used it all the time. I've wanted another ever since, but I either couldn't find a car I wanted when I was shopping (used cars) or it hasn't been available since on the new cars I've looked at ('02 Impreza, '05 Legacy and I don't like leather). Given the choice, I'd get another in a hearbeat, but right now it just isn't needed either.

Archived