LegacyGT.com

Do I *Want* a sunroof?

I have never owned a car with a sunroof. Having never owned one, it seems like it might be neat but I don't really see the benefit. However, I said the same thing about cellphones, XM Radio, girlfriends (when I was 12) etc, etc. Now I can't live without em! So, is a sunroof a "now that I've had one I can't live without it" item, or just a perk? Those with sunroofs how often do you actually OPEN them? Are there ANY negatives or downsides to sunroofs? -Allen

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my first car with a moonroof. I will say that I like it ALOT! It's nice to be cruising on a cool morning into work with the windows up and the top open. Not only does it cut down on noise, but it also stops the wind from slapping you in the face. If you are on the fence and are getting a wagon, then get it.. the thing is HUGE!

I have heard of people with 'leaks' in their sunroofs (although not specifically subaru owners). A friend of mine bought a galant, and within the first few weeks, the sunroof was leaking. She got it fixed under warranty, but still left a feeling of uncertainty in her mind. I wouldn't get one...but that's my opinion...and nor did I get one this time. i.

In sunny SoCal, my dad in his Mercedes rarely uses the sunroof. In fact, he only has it tilted up unless it's raining. The sun gets so bright that when it shines down, it will make it harder to see because of all the glare. But that's just his way of seeing it. I can't see a use for a sunroof unless I'm going to stand out of it and scream at people (just kidding). In other words, it's not a necessity item, just a bling item that you probably won't use often. But [b]that's just me--I can live without a sunroof[/b]. If I wanted sun, I would probably get a convertible. Edit: The Legacy has a moonroof, according to Dr. Zev. If that's the case, then it would be pretty neat since it reduces some of the glare. Do you guys get a lot of sun up in WA? I know you guys get a lot of rain...
-ben

I personally think it makes the car seam more spacious. With the moonroof closed and the shade open, the car feels light a bright inside. Also, I live in Washington State so, it doesn't really get that hot up here. I'd say I open it at least once a day sans rain. Later, NGG P.S. This is my fifth car with a moonroof and I've never seen a leak.

Well, there are two types of people in that respect -- those who use their sunroofs, and those who don't... My last 2 cars have had one so for me it would be very difficult going w/o it -- I have mine open at every opportunity (i.e. not raining or sub-zero!)... My wife, on the other hand, could care less because she rarely uses it. FWIW, I've never had a problem w/ one of mine leaking -- not even a hint... I think most of the leak problems I've heard of were w/ aftermarket add-ons, not factory ones... Stefan

I have a '97 Prelude with a sunroof. On cool days, it's nice to have it open. As Dr. Zevil mentioned, you don't get all the wind blowing through the cabin as you would if you have your side windows open, but you still get a good bit of ventilation. I also open it a crack on hot days when I park, and it helps keep the temperature under control. I also figure someone trying to pop open a lock on my car by climbing on the roof and fishing something through the sunroof will attract more attention than someone trying to do it via a partially open window :lol:

I have had three cars with sun/moon roofs and the last two were not wanted but I was forced to take by feature packaging. (A Leg GT buy may force same situation). I live in SoCal and never use the heat/roof, except to let heat out after sitting in parking lot, but there are better ways to do that. It is not like a convertable at all. Front seats get no visual benefit, but alot of sun on your head/kneck and glare behind your sun glasses. For AC or Music, you want it closed. Leaves fall in your car while parked in your driveway, get smashed in slider and put compost in your car. Not bad for cloudy days, but why? Only for ventalation, not visual open view of a convertable. Did not have any mech or leak problems. They are like homes with swimming pools. Some people don't feel complete without one and some people don't want the work/liability for a few days of swimming per year. The Leg GT design is very good. I don't like the idea of function I don't like, added weight and a big hole in the top of a car that engineers worked hard to make stiff. I will pay for super seats, better audio, improved handling, but car companies keep force feeding me sun roofs. I must be in the minority or there would not be so many sunroofs out there. Better discount everything I just said. Never mind.

I got the moonroof mainly because it came in the limited package, I really wanted the leather seats and seat warmers and all that. But the moon roof was just icing on the cake. I usually just tilt it up for ventilation, but on nice days that are party cloudy I open it all the way. When its really sunny out its not fun to have it open all the way, to hot and bright. But sometimes you can get by with it only half open. Overall I would give it a B.

There are only two pros/cons I care about. One benefit of a sunroof is that it adds to the resale value of a car should you need to sell it. When looking previously for used cars on eBay, I noticed that cars with sunroof's and/or leather always got higher prices than those without, even if the sunroof-less cars were in better condition and had lower mileage. The con, like others have stated, is that it adds weight to the car thus eating into your performance. Personally, I'll be coming from a '92 Taurus which makes the massive amount of 140hp and 165 lb./ft. of torque at the crank; even if the sunroof robbed 20hp from the car (exaggeration), it'd still seem like a Ferrari to me.

So Cal here also, and I've had three cars with moon roofs (the first I wanted, the others were packaging), and IMO they aren't worth it. I rarely drove with the moon roof open because of the wind noise. Someone before said they like it because the wind doesn't blow in your face. Well, the reason why I open my windows (or put the top down when I had my Datsun Roadster and Miata) was to feel the wind blow in my face. There's no point in having a hole in your roof just to get the hot sun burning on you, a lot of noise, and no wind in your face. I like the moon roof feature of opening the shade without opening the roof, but that alone doesn't justify the expenditure for me. I was perfectly happy with my moon roof-less WRX wagon.

Welp, looks like you have people who like sunroofs, and some who don't. So all I can say, is go to your dealer and test drive two Legacy's: one with the sunroof (and use it) and one without. Then you can see which one you like better. The cons of a sunroof shouldn't stop you from getting it--they aren't too severe--which is why they're a good option on cars. Oooh, and if you are getting a sedan, think about it. But if you're getting a wagon, I'd say go for it because it's a really sweet sunroof.
-ben

I've never owned a car without a sunroof and really would hate to lose the ability to leave it cracked open to vent out steamy hot air while parked. I've never understood people that insist on sealing up their vehicles during scorching hot summer days. (Though the LGT's ventilated seats might burn a pretty cool dot pattern on any exposed skin surfaces!) On the other hand, my rapidly receding hairline makes open-roof motoring pretty risk for sunburns, skin cancers, or even blinding other motorists!

[quote name='Uberoo']On the other hand, my rapidly receding hairline makes open-roof motoring pretty risk for sunburns, skin cancers, or even blinding other motorists![/quote] Maybe [i]that's[/i] why my dad doesn't use his sunroof! But yeah, I do agree a big 'pro' about sunroofs is for ventilation--it's better than cracking the windows open which leaves the car vulnerable if it's open enough.
-ben

Really, it's a toy for me. I have one on my Accord and I tend to leave it closed most of the time because of the annoying rattle if I open the cover. I can feel the cold coming in with the cover off in the winter. But on a nice day or night, it can increase the feel-good factor of a drive. I opened my sunroof last in May- as I closed it it made a nasty creaking/cracking sound. The seals are as waterproof as ever, but I'm not opening it since I'm trying to get a new car within the year.

[quote name='axis008']Welp, looks like you have people who like sunroofs, and some who don't. So all I can say, is go to your dealer and test drive two Legacy's: one with the sunroof (and use it) and one without. Then you can see which one you like better. The cons of a sunroof shouldn't stop you from getting it--they aren't too severe--which is why they're a good option on cars. Oooh, and if you are getting a sedan, think about it. But if you're getting a wagon, I'd say go for it because it's a really sweet sunroof.[/quote] There's only one con to getting a sunroof, and that's the price.

I use the sunroof every day except during winter. I even use it when it rains, I just tilt it open. My last 3 cars had a sunroof. For me, it's a must-have feature. Plus, the wagon sunroof is huge!!! 8) . It also helps my young son fall asleep with the wind noise it generates. Cons; price, wind noise, you get less fuel economy when it's opened on the highway, adds weight to the car.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I had a steel sunroof on my last car, and now the wife has a convertible, but my truck doesn't have a sunroof, of course. I miss the sunroof. The convertible top is not very energy efficient in the colder parts of the year, and is noisy, but second to none on a nice day with the top down. The sunroof is more secure, and easier on the ears when closed. coupes and sedans look better than most convertibles with the top up. Hard to have a convertible top with a four door anyway, unless you have a rare lincoln. It is a nice option to have when you want it, and it's closed up when you don't. Unless it is a really bad headroom problem, why not? It is a nice car, not a club-racer, after all. If you're that put off by the 25 lbs in the roof, buy an WRX STi instead... :D I'll take one if it's offered. Id' even pay fer it! :)

I personally get claustrophobic in a vehicle with out a sunroof, and I personally find that most taller people find that it gives the feeling of a more spacious interior. Its hard to beat natural light in any case and it is always an option that i look for in a car. Parousia

Archived