LegacyGT.com

Do I *Want* a sunroof?

[quote name='SC GT'][quote name='axis008']Welp, looks like you have people who like sunroofs, and some who don't. So all I can say, is go to your dealer and test drive two Legacy's: one with the sunroof (and use it) and one without. Then you can see which one you like better. The cons of a sunroof shouldn't stop you from getting it--they aren't too severe--which is why they're a good option on cars. Oooh, and if you are getting a sedan, think about it. But if you're getting a wagon, I'd say go for it because it's a really sweet sunroof.[/quote] There's only one con to getting a sunroof, and that's the price.[/quote] Added weight thats high up in the car and weakened structural integrety are my reasons... :P

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is my first non sedan/coupe car, and I found that it is sometimes really dark inside a wagon, without the rear windshield closely behind you. Luckily, having a sunroof fixes that :)

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned one of the coolest uses of a sunroof... Driving at night away from the city lights. If you have ever driven a convertible or sunroof equipped vehicle at night you know what I am talking about. Lots of stars. I find myself opening mine even when it is too cold and using the heater just so I can enjoy the night. Ted
:spin:

Along with added weight, the hole in the ceiling will compromise a bit on structure regidity. However since it's a Legacy I doubt ppl will be driving 10/10 on a track all the time. It's for cruising around. With that, a sunroof adds to the pleasure. My RS came with a sunroof and I enjoyed it. About the sun glare... it's like saying opening the window allows exhaust fumes coming into the car? duh.....

The glare thing and sun burn are very real issues, not fumes from an open window. A twenty minute drive can produce real sun burn. Others have mentioned the glare factor which causes many people to wear a cap which further reduces drivers abililty to enjoy any view out the top behing you. Yes, it is nice on non-sunny in mountains to have fresh air, heater going and it does eliminate closed in feeling. Regarding the stars at night. I only see out of one eye, so unlike wonderkind, who can keep one eye on the road and one eye in the sky, I am working overtime just to watch the road. Sunroofs are great for driving the rodeo princess around the arena. Now thats a reason to buy a sunroof.

Guess you missed my point mtnsub. If the glare bothers you so much, close the roof. Just like if you want to keep exhaust fumes from the old rickety car in front of you just shut the windows. Sunroofs are a good compromise for those who wants somewhat of an open air feel without a full blown convertible. Choice.... enjoy 'em. ;)

[quote name='wunderkind']Guess you missed my point mtnsub. If the glare bothers you so much, close the roof. Just like if you want to keep exhaust fumes from the old rickety car in front of you just shut the windows. Sunroofs are a good compromise for those who wants somewhat of an open air feel without a full blown convertible. Choice.... enjoy 'em. ;)[/quote] He's not listening to your point, (which is bascially the same viewpoint I have) so let him enjoy his extra weight and weakened structural integrity. :P :)

• 4 months later...
Guest turboman
Everytime I punch it In 1st or 2nd gear the shade slides all the way open by itself. The car is a bomb. Faster than my Wrx. Is there an easy Do-it-yourself fix to stop the sliding shade without taking it in?? Also today I noticed a flashing red "Security Light" on the Lh dash that I never noticed Before. On the phone the Dealer said it is supposed to flash. But all the time??

[quote name='turboman']Everytime I punch it In 1st or 2nd gear the shade slides all the way open by itself. The car is a bomb. Faster than my Wrx. Is there an easy Do-it-yourself fix to stop the sliding shade without taking it in?? Also today I noticed a flashing red "Security Light" on the Lh dash that I never noticed Before. On the phone the Dealer said it is supposed to flash. But all the time??[/QUOTE] Yep, that is normal. CRaig

I love my sunroofs for the reasons mentioned above, especially summertime night driving. I truly missed it in the WRX, and welcomed it back in the Legacy. In fact, I almost bought the Forester based on the HUGE sunroof (couldn't afford the LGT Wagon in limited form).

I really, really like sunroofs. I got one in my Evo. But with the Legacy, the $2,500+ premimum for the Limited package just didn't make sense for me. I didn't want the leather, and didn't need anything else. I probably would have paid an extra $700 or so for the roof, but not $2500. --Dan Mach V [url=www.fastwrx.com]FastWRX.com[/url]

I like the sunroofs because I hate driving cars with the AC on because it robs cars of horsepower and makes them harder to shift smooth. I have a crack in my Maxima's sunroof and it still don't leak so don't think you'll need to worry about leak issues.

and to those thinking about getting a sunroof in a new legacy. Its one touch open :) but not one touch close for some reason. It closes halfway, stops. Then you must hit the button again for it to close all the way. Just one of those scooby quirks I guess.

[quote name='plunk10']and to those thinking about getting a sunroof in a new legacy. Its one touch open :) but not one touch close for some reason. It closes halfway, stops. Then you must hit the button again for it to close all the way. Just one of those scooby quirks I guess.[/QUOTE] No, it's a saftey thing...most cars do this. and holy :raisedead: Batman!!1 :eek:

Echo all the comments about the open air feeling of driving with the sunroof/moonroof open. Three of the Subes have sunroofs, my Maxima and even my Jeep had sunroofs and I use them all the time. The women in my family, hardly at all if ever because it messes up their hair. Love the SoCal weather but driving with the windows down, unless you open all four, sets up a pounding in my ears that is uncomfortable at best. Leave the windows up and slide the sunroof open, enjoy the sun (with ballcap when necessary) and get the air flowing nicely. Just make sure you have an additional cap/hat for your passenger to wear so they can enjoy it too. For those with sedans, recommend the Subaru OEM air deflector for your cars because it allows you to slide your roof open partway in the rain so that you can keep natural air flowing (draft through your vents). Also, with the roof all the way open, it keeps air from blasting down into the back seat passengers It is really cool to drive at night out in the mountains with the now moonroof open to see the stars, hear and smell the night sounds and fragrances. It's also cool if you want to go park and watch the moon rise. Just a great experience And one final reason to have a sunroof is if you tint/darken your front windows more than permitted (who would do this I don't know), with the sunroof open or shade pulled back, it floods the front seats with light and makes the front windows look lighter than they are. Not necessarily bad when the man is looking at your car. ;) SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Subietonic'] For those with sedans, recommend the Subaru OEM air deflector for your cars because it allows you to slide your roof open partway in the rain so that you can keep natural air flowing (draft through your vents). Also, with the roof all the way open, it keeps air from blasting down into the back seat passengers SBT[/QUOTE] [font='Times New Roman']But with KOI of the fritz where can you get these? I have been looking with no success. [/font]

• 2 months later...
I may paste this as a new topic as well but... Any threads on AFTERMARKET moon roofs (Webasto)? Anyone ever do this? Most probably think I'm crazy for thinking of cutting a hole in a new wagon.

I had a moon roof on my last car and found I didn't use it all that much. It was nice at night but I found that during the day the sun would invariably come in over the top of my sunglasses. I ended up wearing a hat most times I had the roof open. Additionally, I had a roof rack on most of the summer and the wind noise between the moonroof and the rack was quite loud. I don't know if you're a kayaking/biking type but the roof rack/moonroof combo can be a problem. Also, my roof started to leak somewhere around year 5 of the ownership experience (right after the warranty wore out :( ). They wanted $250 to "investigate" the problem and then potentially some additional cash to fix it. It ended up being quite awkward to ask my date to wear a hat inside the car when it rained. Food for thought...

Archived