LegacyGT.com

Subaru OEM Plug-n-Play Bluetooth Phone Module!

Bicster

I am sure that this option could only work with European o Japan HU equipped with extra CD changer input ...

I am 99% certain you are wrong. The reason I say this is based on the illustrations and connection diagrams in the install manual. The changer input is not used; the whole thing is just shimmed between the radio and the car on the main harness, with an external box that provides muting and presumably amplification for the front speakers. It would likely work in any car with the appropriate harness transplants.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish you knew how you did this. The service manual doesn't show any call/mute inputs on the radio. It would be really useful info for anyone trying to use an aftermarket bluetooth adapter with the factory stereo.

You can mute by feeding the same signal as the steering wheel controls and then feeding that signal again.

The signal is just a resistance between two pins on the back of the stereo (the purple wire with white stripe, and the orange wire with white stripe)... signal the radio 22 Ohms and it will MUTE and stay muted, another 22 Ohms and it will un-mute. It fads down and up nicely also... :)

If you read the manual it almost looks like it sends text items to the headunit, like "Pairing successful" and such. Wouldn't that imply that somehow there is a data bus link to the headunit?

When I started this thread I had only seen the install manual. Thanks for the reality check; now I have looked thru the user's manual and it definitely does look like it uses the headunit display. That definitely reduces the odds it'll work. I'd really like to see a photo of the connection harness.

The other possiblity is that it has a display on the controller, but the odds look slim there. Again, photos would be useful.

Jim is planning to discuss this stuff with Subaru when he gets back from vacation. Hopefully they can help end the speculation.

good luck, I know our subaru guys here locally are very bad at discussing hypotheticals like that, but I still eagerly await your findings hehe

somehow I beleive its going to be like the elusive "sat" indicator on the display, gets your hopes up then dashes them away with manufacturing conveniance over giving USDM cars cool stuff

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• 2 weeks later...
I am really hopefull that we can import this to the states and get these to work. All my phones are bluetooth and I would just love it integrated like the luxury makers.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I am in Cupertino this week, so I don't have much time to keep up with the forum.

Jim has not been as responsive to e-mail as I would like, but he sent me a pic of the radio harness connector ... and he said the Subie guys on that side of the pond do think it will work. Unfortunately the specifics I asked him for haven't been forthcoming, nor have pics of the unit itself.

http://www.planetfall.com/~jeff/legacy/btconnector.jpg

Can someone confirm if that's the same connector that's on USDM cars?

It does look like the same connector. Can't tell if the wire color schemes are the same, though.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Can I just go ahead and buy one?

I'd take a chance on it not being compatible just to get one here and see if it works.

I've searched all over but can't find any way to order one from Europe or I'd already have it. :)

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

this is good info tho, this is how I managed to find out about the info center relocation bracket harness, it took the AVO turbo world guy giving us some SUPER high res clear pics of the harness and then taking mine apart and comparing my crappy blurry pics (I suck at taking pics apparently) to those.

so if someone from the UK could help us that has a nice high res camera, and someone else who has a nice camera from this side of the pond.. then we could be more certain, where are those harnesses in the car anyway?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

that is indeed a lot, I was thinking maybe $5-10; $400 for the part is kinda steep but I do have a bluetooth phone, and I am tired of having to pull it out of my pocket and looking like a drunk man when I get those "have to take this" business calls.. cos thats all that really calls me anymore.. cept on friday afternoons.

if we can get enough supporters (besides if you gt it to work you've gotten yourself a bluetooth unit! :D) tho it shouldn't be a problem.

Archived