LegacyGT.com

Subaru OEM Plug-n-Play Bluetooth Phone Module!

Bicster

I'm also very curious to sweep the resistance on these two lines that mute the stero. Just to see what kinda other commmands this thing may accept.

22R = MUTE

90R = Vol up

200R = Vol down

360R = Mode

690R = Seek up

1500R = Seek down

4700R = (all buttons up.)

If there was one more command, I'd expect it to be 3000R.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ric,

Thanks for those values.

One question. Are those the actual values of the resistors, or the value when pressed? For example, the 'real' value of the Mute button resistor in PARRALEL with the 4700R background resistance = 22R?

Hope this makes sense.

The navigation system's voice output seems to be independent of the head unit - no muting occurs, and if the head unit is turned off the voice from the nav will still work.
On mine, when the navigation system speaks, the navigation voice replaces the stereo output on the front speakers while the rear speakers continue to receive stereo output.

']On mine' date=' when the navigation system speaks, the navigation voice replaces the stereo output on the front speakers while the rear speakers continue to receive stereo output.[/quote']

I checked and you are right. Somehow I never noticed it.

phoenix96- Does the voice from the nav unit seem to come from the radio speakers or perhaps is it just an indipendent speaker for the nav voice. Also any adjustment on the volume of the nav voice?

As Jon pointed out, the sound does come from the front speakers, but the navigation system has an independent volume control.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Man you guys have navigation...I'm so jealous!

Has anyone seen "vacations pics" for the nav enabled leg GT? \

Oh and another question:

Does the HU that is paired with the navigation system read MP3s? I'm thinking that either the nav unit inturupts the front speakers after the HU or the HU that plays MP3s has some form of audio input designed for the nav system. thoughts anyone?

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

Man you guys have navigation...I'm so jealous!

Has anyone seen "vacations pics" for the nav enabled leg GT? \

Oh and another question:

Does the HU that is paired with the navigation system read MP3s? I'm thinking that either the nav unit inturupts the front speakers after the HU or the HU that plays MP3s has some form of audio input designed for the nav system. thoughts anyone?

The head units in the Legacy GT Spec. B and Outback VDC do support MP3 CDs, but the navigation system is also available on standard Legacy GT Limiteds and Outback XT/LL Beans (which do not have MP3 capable CD players). I think the most likely explanation is that the navigation unit has its own amplifier and intercepts the connections to the front speakers.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I've seen that mod. Pretty cool, but it is a bit more than plug and play then I think I need to do. From a wiring perspective, I know that I can tap into everything right at the radio except a "Mute" line. I know that there are a few ways of resolving this. I'm just looking for the pansy way! :)

Pansy-way has been completed with some good luck. I have some postings on this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/australia-new-zealand/31202-hands-free-phone-installation-2.html

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Tying up a loose end...

I bet this would work with our radio's, because when I was playing around with the pins on the back of the stereo to get my steering wheel controls working, the stereo muted and the display indicated "CALL"

Trabbic accidentally discovered the "cell phone" audio input on the square, 8-pin connector on the rear of the factory HU (what I've been calling the "subwoofer" connector, though it also includes the wires for climate control and steering wheel "satellite" remote buttons).

When you connect pin 3 ("TEL ON") to ground, then the HU mutes whatever audio source it was playing, the HU's display shows "CALL," and a mono audio input on pins 1 and 5 ("SIGNAL + -") is routed to the radio's front speakers.

Using pin 3 is a much cleaner and simpler way to mute the radio than simulating the mute button from the steering wheel. If you can route the audio output from your Bluetooth phone kit into pins 1 and 5, so much the better.

Note that no connections are needed to the 14-pin speaker/power connector (unless you want to tap +12V, ground, and maybe illumination from there).

The only catch is you need to find male and female square 8-pin connectors to build a plug-and-play adapter. Slightly easier, but not quite as clean would be to populate pins 1, 3, and 5 on the car's connector with the new wires.

See this thread for more technical details (they were attempting to hack this into a stereo Aux input, but it's not very desirable because the HU mucks with the EQ and volume levels):

The phone input disappeared from the connector on 2007 HUs.

Added: Here's a working link to the thread that PolarDog tried to post in #111 above:

(in the "International Forums > Australia / New Zealand" area)

Tying up a loose end...

Trabbic accidentally discovered the "cell phone" audio input on the square, 8-pin connector on the rear of the factory HU (what I've been calling the "subwoofer" connector, though it also includes the wires for climate control and steering wheel "satellite" remote buttons).

When you connect pin 3 ("TEL ON") to ground, then the HU mutes whatever audio source it was playing, the HU's display shows "CALL," and a mono audio input on pins 1 and 5 ("SIGNAL + -") is routed to the radio's front speakers.

Using pin 3 is a much cleaner and simpler way to mute the radio than simulating the mute button from the steering wheel. If you can route the audio output from your Bluetooth phone kit into pins 1 and 5, so much the better.

Note that no connections are needed to the 14-pin speaker/power connector (unless you want to tap +12V, ground, and maybe illumination from there).

The only catch is you need to find male and female square 8-pin connectors to build a plug-and-play adapter. Slightly easier, but not quite as clean would be to populate pins 1, 3, and 5 on the car's connector with the new wires.

See this thread for more technical details (they were attempting to hack this into a stereo Aux input, but it's not very desirable because the HU mucks with the EQ and volume levels):

The phone input disappeared from the connector on 2007 HUs.

Added: Here's a working link to the thread that PolarDog tried to post in #111 above:

(in the "International Forums > Australia / New Zealand" area)

Thanks for posting this, good info!

• 1 month later...

so uh...someone tell me if i got this right, there is an OEM subaru Bluetooth system, that when used mutes the radio and says "Call" or something like that on the radio that i could buy for my USDM 05 Lgt correct?

-Stewy

so uh...someone tell me if i got this right, there is an OEM subaru Bluetooth system, that when used mutes the radio and says "Call" or something like that on the radio that i could buy for my USDM 05 Lgt correct?

Yes and no.

There is an OEM Bluetooth kit, available in the UK. See post #1 and the OP's follow-ups.

That kit, like nearly every after-market kit that I've read about so far (including the Parrot mentioned above), mutes the HU by interrupting the four speaker lines between the HU and the speakers. Typically there is a module full of relays that plugs in between the car's harness and the factory HU. It effectively 'cuts' the speaker wires during calls.

These kits connect ONLY to the Subaru's 14-pin power/speaker connector. So other than tapping power and ground from there, the only thing these kits can do is interrupt the HU's feed to the four speakers. Some kits also feed their phone audio directly into the speakers in place of the HU. But no kit can put anything on the HU's display via the 14-pin connector.

These kits also won't mute the subwoofer, if the sub uses the 8-pin connector for the left channel. Not all Subarus do. You can tell by pulling your HU and looking. See the posts about subwoofers in this thread on NASIOC:

To answer a post from early on: Where the Subaru OEM Bluetooth manual talked about 'things on the display' (re: pairing with a phone), it was referring to your cell phone's display, not the HU).

What I mentioned in my post above (#116) is another possible method to interface a phone kit. I'm not aware of any kits that actually use that. But you have to wonder why Subaru would have included those lines on the 8-pin connector. Perhaps it's only used by a JDM option? If so, I'm sure it will be more expensive than the UK kit.

I think it will be relatively easy to adapt an after-market phone kit to take advantage of those lines on the 8-pin connector. The hardest obstacle would be physically connecting the three new wires into the 8-pin jack, but the rest is easy.

Who would like to be a guinea pig?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a bluetooth setup through woot... not as involved as this obviously, but it was only $20. I would love to get OEM integration though. Anyone?

bump... bump

subscribe.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Jedi Master Yoda (I believe he was talking about the search tool)[URL="http://specb.jerkerstudios.com/"][/URL] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 7 months later...
Did you actually read it all?

Buy a Parrot kit and harness from quickconnect.com and be happy. It's as OEM as you'll get for US models.

Cheers!

-Ian

I did read it all. I had to subscribe because this wonderful forums application does not have the favorites option. I want to be able to come back to read the tips when I am ready to do my install.

Archived