LegacyGT.com

Subaru OEM Plug-n-Play Bluetooth Phone Module!

Bicster

Any movement Phoenix96? I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome...

Jim Childs did get back to me. The item is available from this link:

http://www.cheammotors.co.uk/products.php?productId=530

For £191.49 plus £12 shipping (coming out to just over $357 with the current exchange rate).

I was planning to buy it until seeing Petmor's pictures. It doesn't seem to provide the OEM integration that I was looking for so I'm holding off for now (one of these days I may get the urge to try it anyway).

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim Childs did get back to me. The item is available from this link:

http://www.cheammotors.co.uk/products.php?productId=530

For £191.49 plus £12 shipping (coming out to just over $357 with the current exchange rate).

I was planning to buy it until seeing Petmor's pictures. It doesn't seem to provide the OEM integration that I was looking for so I'm holding off for now (one of these days I may get the urge to try it anyway).

I agree that its a bit misplaced. It sure could have been places in the steering wheel for instance. It works ok though and the placement is OK. After a day or two its second nature to find the buttons.

it still plays through the speakers and has a microphone in the car, its still a bluetooth interface that uses your cell minutes. Would you really want to get into that steering column with all the airbag and steering wheel buttons n such if it were on the wheel? I mean sure I think it'd be great there, but I've been w/o steering wheel controls since I bought the car (cept shifting which I seldom use) and it hasn't bothered me.

$400 is a hard bullet to bite right now tho, I mean, I do have speakerphone.. I just have to gett he phone out of my pocket, which is dangerous and whatnot

so are we SURE its usdm compatible at this point? I mean I dont see why it wouldn't be... but for that kind of price we gotta make sure IMO.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

it still plays through the speakers and has a microphone in the car, its still a bluetooth interface that uses your cell minutes. Would you really want to get into that steering column with all the airbag and steering wheel buttons n such if it were on the wheel? I mean sure I think it'd be great there, but I've been w/o steering wheel controls since I bought the car (cept shifting which I seldom use) and it hasn't bothered me.

$400 is a hard bullet to bite right now tho, I mean, I do have speakerphone.. I just have to gett he phone out of my pocket, which is dangerous and whatnot

so are we SURE its usdm compatible at this point? I mean I dont see why it wouldn't be... but for that kind of price we gotta make sure IMO.

No I wouldn't mix with it at all, but it would have been nice if one could have used the buttons that searches for the next (not preset) station since they are so useless anyway.

The sound through the speakers are great and yes there is a microphone away at the A-column(is that the word??). Its not in harms way or anything, just nice small and discrete

{post #40} [picture of forward & reverse harnesses removed]

Can someone confirm if that's the same connector that's on USDM cars?

Yes. Same in nearly all Subarus from 1993-up (not North American Legacies until 1995-up, and not SVX). See post #2 of this thread: Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, subwoofer, aux inputs, and more.

Added: the wire colors in that picture appear to be the EIA standard (found on after-market harnesses). See pin-out in the above thread or my homepage.

{post #29} You can mute by feeding the same signal as the steering wheel controls and then feeding that signal again.

The signal is just a resistance between two pins on the back of the stereo (the purple wire with white stripe, and the orange wire with white stripe)... signal the radio 22 Ohms and it will MUTE and stay muted, another 22 Ohms and it will un-mute. It [fades] down and up nicely also...

See the bottom of post #5 of the same thread above -- there is a portion of the 2005 Legacy wiring diagram. Does the steering wheel include a Mute button that they didn't document? Or did you figure out a resistance for a button that's not there?

See the bottom of post #5 of the same thread above -- there is a portion of the 2005 Legacy wiring diagram. Does the steering wheel include a Mute button that they didn't document? Or did you figure out a resistance for a button that's not there?

The steering wheel radio control set on the Spec B, H6 Outbacks, and a few modified Legacies (:icon_bigg) does include a mute button. It doesn't seem to have an equivalent button on the stereo panel itself.

phoenix96

I picked up a new 3.0R spec.B here in the UK last week.

When specifying the car, I discussed the Bluetooth Kit with the salesman.

He strongly recommended that I did NOT waste my money on the Subaru product.

The functionality that the Subaru kit provides is NO DIFFERENT than a third party one.

I was hoping that it used the computer display etc - but no.

It provides radio muting and the callers voice comes through the speakers. This functionality is also provided by third party car kits and at a lot lower cost.

The Subaru kit is £225 (without fitting), a good 3rd party (Nokia/Moto etc) kit can be found for less than £100 (again without fitting).

Simon

• 3 months later...
Any action on this or is this d e a d?

We did figure out that we can order the bluetooth kit from Cheam's in the UK, but after seeing the installation instructions and hearing from European members with the kit I think we've decided that the Subaru module doesn't provide enough unique functionality to justify the extra cost over third-party modules. The features some of us were hoping for (caller ID on the stereo display, etc) don't seem to exist.

phoenix96

We did figure out that we can order the bluetooth kit from Cheam's in the UK, but after seeing the installation instructions and hearing from European members with the kit I think we've decided that the Subaru module doesn't provide enough unique functionality to justify the extra cost over third-party modules. The features some of us were hoping for (caller ID on the stereo display, etc) don't seem to exist.

Thanks Phoenix96. I have been doing some poking around and I may have a solution (see post: http://legacygt.com/forums/interior-audio/17161-bluetooth-connection-ipod-2.html).

I am curious if anyone can have a look and comment.

I have installed the Motorola IHF1000 and built a circuit to send a one second 22 OHM signal to the OEM radio for the "MUTE". It took me a little while to find the correct resistor/capacitor ratio to get the 1 second timing down but I have been using it for about a month now and it works great.

So as of now when I get a call the radio displays "MUTE"(which fades up and down very nicely) and when the call ends the radio resumes normal operation.

This was done with 3 relays, 2 100K OHM resistors, 2 100uF Capacitors, 1 22 OHM resistor, and one small PC board. Cost around $20 at Radioshack

I have a picture I will add later. Post here if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.

-Neil

Thanks for the generous reply.

A couple of questions:

1) I remember seeing that there was some trouble splicing into the accessory power (?) The ventilation fan would be stuck either on or off when a call was received (couldn't be changed until after the call was finished). Is this an issue with you?

2) Do you have a schematic of the board?

3) Does the caller info show up on the headunit?

4) Does the call audio come through more than one speaker?

Thanks again!

A couple of questions:

1) I remember seeing that there was some trouble splicing into the accessory power (?) The ventilation fan would be stuck either on or off when a call was received (couldn't be changed until after the call was finished). Is this an issue with you?

That's if you kill the ACC power to the HU.

That solution just presses the MUTE button for you, same as if you pressed it yourself.

A couple of questions:

2) Do you have a schematic of the board?

3) Does the caller info show up on the headunit?

4) Does the call audio come through more than one speaker?

Thanks again!

1. I did not splice into the accessory power I just simply made a circuit that does exactly what was said it basically hits the mute button for me when i get a call (radio displays "MUTE") and then unmutes when the call hangs up. So I have full control over the HVAC during a call.

2. Picture of the circuit is attached. If you realy want i guess i could draw a schematic of how I accomplished this. It is pretty simple though

3. This solution simply mutes the radio there is no way that i know of to display caller info on the OEM headunit especially with a third party BT kit.

4. I am using the additional speaker that came with the IHF1000. I could connect it to the cars speakers but that would require more work and more relays. Also it seems as the output of the IHF1000 is not that great so i would most likely have to run it through some sort of amp to get it loud enough to hear well since we have no ability for an AUX input on the headunit.

Mutecircuit.JPG.a114b261fd5e7ed8134a367b7dc05b8b.JPG

Thanks Felix for the help, but I am currently leaning on getting this setup from Sio: The Autoleads 06-069NB Subaru 2004 Onwards Cellular Telemute Interface lead It is a bit expensive (probably be ~$100 when all is said and done) but I'm hoping for a splice-free install that allows me to mute the radio while porting the sound directly through the front speakers. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

PolarDog

Looks intersting but from looking at the limited information I can find on it I am not sure this option would work for our cars. This looks like a prewired 3 relay type system that shuts the power off to the headunit and reroutes the OEM speakers to the BT Handsfree kit thus disabling your HVAC in the process. This is why I needed to make a circuit that actually uses the built in "Mute" feature of the OEM radio instead of cutting the power to the radio and HVAC. If you give it a try or do any further research let me know what you find.

Thanks

Neil

Curious. I am not certain that my radio has the built in Mute feature that you speak of. At least, I am not certain how you would access it as there is no connecting wire in the plug that attaches to the radio. You have the 14 pin plug that attaches to the radio, right? Which wire to mute?

Curious. I am not certain that my radio has the built in Mute feature that you speak of. At least, I am not certain how you would access it as there is no connecting wire in the plug that attaches to the radio. You have the 14 pin plug that attaches to the radio, right? Which wire to mute?

The steering wheel audio controls have a Mute button, so the functionality is there.

phoenix96

The steering wheel audio controls have a Mute button, so the functionality is there.

Yeah, I've seen that mod. Pretty cool, but it is a bit more than plug and play then I think I need to do. From a wiring perspective, I know that I can tap into everything right at the radio except a "Mute" line. I know that there are a few ways of resolving this. I'm just looking for the pansy way! :)

This is a curious topic for me. SO we know when you apply 22 ohms to the select two wires in the back of the stero we get the HU to mute. Do we konw anything about how the NAV system would work with our steros. I'm assumeing the NAV system would have some kinda voice readout that would occcur over the stero speakers. Is there possible an unknown input for these lines into our HU that we havent dicovered.

I'm also very curious to sweep the resistance on these two lines that mute the stero. Just to see what kinda other commmands this thing may accept.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

This is a curious topic for me. SO we know when you apply 22 ohms to the select two wires in the back of the stero we get the HU to mute. Do we konw anything about how the NAV system would work with our steros. I'm assumeing the NAV system would have some kinda voice readout that would occcur over the stero speakers. Is there possible an unknown input for these lines into our HU that we havent dicovered.

I'm also very curious to sweep the resistance on these two lines that mute the stero. Just to see what kinda other commmands this thing may accept.

The navigation system's voice output seems to be independent of the head unit - no muting occurs, and if the head unit is turned off the voice from the nav will still work.

phoenix96

Archived